“my favorite concierge floor- ever”
Review of Valley River Inn

Valley River Inn
Ranked #5 of 35 Hotels in Eugene
GreenLeadersSilver level
Roseburg, Oregon
“my favorite concierge floor- ever”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Chris and Andrea were wonderful concierge hosts. Chris was the party man(evenings) and Andrea (mornings)was the mom. I can't tell you what a great time I had with both of them. Found out so much about wine and beer and food and eugene fun stuff to do from Chris. And I was mothered by Andrea. Our whole family stayed on the concierge floor during my daughter's graduation from u of o. We were very well feed and watered. Really? They served their own house smoked salmon in the evenings among other locally grown foods. Yum. Fresh made waffles with
lemon curd and fruit + in the mornings. Will definitely be staying there on my return visits.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
New Jersey
Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at the Valley River Inn in Eugene, OR numerous time and I am consistently impressed with the property and the staff. On this occasion I was pleasantly surprised with an instant upgrade due to room availability. The front desk staff, specifically Michelle, are fantastic and really do whatever they can to make you comfortable and welcome.

I was in a river view king suite which was an enormous room for hotel standards with a magnificent bathroom and shower area. I say area because the room has a dressing area and vanity, a separate toilet room and a huge shower. The room was recently upgraded and the furniture was modern and new. As always, the view of the river is so nice and worth the upgrade.

The Sweetwater Grill has a nice menu and a very comfortable bar with all cushioned seats. Perfect for groups and business travelers. The food is fresh and well prepared. The staff in the bar/restaurant are great and really now the meeting of good service.

The property is large and has some great scenery and is located in a nice spot not too far from anything in Eugene.

Looking forward to my next visit.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Portland, OR
Reviewed June 18, 2013

WHY YOU'D STAY HERE:
1. Location! It shares a (free) parking lot with Eugene's main mall. While not exactly close to downtown or U of O, one could use the network of world-class bike paths to get to both places about as fast as it would take driving. Walking along the river and observing wildlife is an option that not every hotel offers.

2. Friendly, accommodating staff. They quickly rectified their error about the date I was staying and gave a later check-out time when requested - a huge bonus when traveling with twin infants

3. The standard king room seemed larger than many hotels, and the layout meant that the headboard wasn't against an adjoining wall. That's always nice.

4. Although I didn't use the other features, the conference center, pool, and lounge would be an attraction for some. I did have breakfast in the on-site restaurant Sweetwaters.

WHY YOU'D STAY ELSEWHERE:
1. You are infuriated if your accommodations are not up-to-date. Then again, you'll probably be annoyed with all of Eugene if that's the case. (My suggestion: set aside your disgust with the popcorn ceilings and enjoy the good old-fashioned

2. Comically small elevators are a deal-breaker. Two adults and a stroller was about all it could take.

3. You HAVE to be closer to downtown or U of O. Again, this has to be one of the easier cities to get around in without a car, but if you aren't used to doing that (or doing it in the rain) a closer option might be better. One caveat: I wondered how many fans over the years have thought they could bike to a Duck football game from the Valley River Inn, only to be thwarted by the multitudes on the footpath. In order to succeed at that, you'd have to leave very early or after the kickoff.

BOTTOM LINE:
I lived in Eugene for 12 years, and during that time the Valley River Inn always had a good reputation. The Hilton is taller, and the Excelsior is more luxurious (and closer to Campus) but the Valley River Inn made for a pleasant first trip with my 2 month old daughters. This is not a cookie-cutter hotel experience. In fact, a lot of what makes Eugene Eugene, both positive (the river, friendly people) and negative (a little behind the times) is exemplified in this hotel. I highly recommend it. If you can stay there on a crisp autumn morning, all the better!

ABOUT THE REVIEWER
I'm in my late 30s. My wife and I are professionals. We recently moved from the "childless" category of traveler to "breeder." While this will undoubtedly change our traveling habits, we spent the previous 10 years of travelling, taking about 2-3 trips a year and staying in medium to upper class accommodations. This trip was different because I stayed in my former hometown and traveled with infants.

Mountain View, Ca
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We enjoyed exceptional service and accommodations in Eugene at the Valley River Inn. The interior gave the impression of a mountain resort. The room was spacious and well decorated.

We dined at the hotel restaurant for a late dinner and early breakfast and were extremely satisfied with the food and the service.

An unexpected delight ~ we had a delightful chance encounter with Mr. Tony Bennet who was staying at the hotel while performing at a local venue.

Room Tip: A room on the third floor looking over the river is best, or a third floor room overlooking the pool...
Green Features: The Valley River Inn is a leader in environmentally-friendly practices.
1 Thank Keith L
Clovis, California
Reviewed June 15, 2013

What a lovely place to stay! My daughters and I vacation at the Valley River in every year. The service and staff are amazing. If you choose to stay here, spend a little more for the concierge service. The morning breakfast and evening cocktails make this offered feature worth every penny.

Room Tip: The river view rooms are a bit more, but it is worth it!
Green Features: Waste baskets in the room are divided into recyclable and non-recyclable compartments.
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Valley River Inn provided an excellent venue for our gala event this year. The room looked lovely, extra touches by staff made the tables even more beautiful. Roxanne is to be complimented for working closely with the volunteer committee for months before the event to make sure all of the details are taken care to ensure a successful, enjoyable event for close to 300 people. Staff were professional, attentive, but not intrusive. The food presentation and quality was excellent and I heard many compliments about the quality.The staff was responsive to last minute changes in table settings and took care of things in a friendly, efficient manner at one of busiest times of the event. The audio and visual part of the program went without a hitch and a monitor that was requested at the last minute was put at the podium, assisting those of us who were speaking. My compliments to everyone involved.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

I was very surprised by this hotel. I'm used to staying on brand name chain hotels but my company booked me in this one due to the event I was having there. From the outside, I had the impression it was a run down motel. But once you walk on, it feels like a mountain resort. And the rooms were nicely renovated. They had a modern feel. Only downside was that the walls seemed a little thin. I could hear the tv in the room next door. It didn't bother me but it was noticeable. Staff was great and friendly.

• Stayed June 2013