“My Favorite place to stay in Eugene, on the River!”
Review of Valley River Inn

Valley River Inn
Ranked #6 of 36 Hotels in Eugene
GreenLeadersSilver level
Seattle, Washington
“My Favorite place to stay in Eugene, on the River!”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

If they make the changes below, I would easily rate them 5 Stars!

We have been going to Valley River Inn since the 1970's with our family, and still continue to do so today. It is my favorite place to stay and has so many great memories for us over the years. I had my prom here and my 20 year high school reunion here too. We have been coming for many many Sunday Brunches too. I noticed recently that they had cut down on the quantity of food choices for the Brunch, that was disappointing but the food and service was still excellent. Just part of the cuts for this recession, I guess. My mom and I had dinner here recently and everything was excellent, from the food to the service. No complaints there! In fact, the service is always excellent, even in the lounge. And speaking of the lounge, we love to hang out near the fireplace, it's so cozy and romantic when I am with my husband.

We usually stay on the Concierge level in one of the River View rooms. It is worth the extra price to have this kind of view and amenity. And we LOVE Chris in the Concierge room, (Amanda too when she was here a few years back) and before them, Connie, who has since retired. We hope they Never take this amenity away, as that is what keeps us coming back every year. It is our special place to go when we come to town and we always receive a warm greeting from our friendly host in this room. (Be sure to tip your Concierge Host if you go here, as that is how they make their living). :-) We were disappointed to see them cut the hours back in the concierge lounge as that is not always so convenient for us paying guests. Also, they don't have as much variety and quantity of food like they used to. Hey VRI, your Customers notice these things and it is disappointing for us to pay the extra fee to have access to this amenity, only to have you cut back on us. We come to this private room expecting our appetizers, and hear that you won't be sending another plate out because there are not enough guests on our Concierge level. That is just Not cool. Oh, and another thing, can you please get some nice cushions for that beautiful couch and chairs? There is no back support and it is hard to relax and be comfortable when you are sitting on these huge chairs where the back is really deep. It is definitely something that is missing in this room. It would certainly add to the decor and our comfort, and it wouldn't cost very much.

The new remodel is nice. I don't care for the "silver" colored additions, but do love the natural wood additions as that goes with the natural Pacific NW style. I am glad they have kept a lot of the old large saw blades that they display on the walls. I miss the huge saw blade above the fireplace in the lobby, as that is really the best place for it. It may be someplace else on sight though. The updated rooms are very nice, but I miss the pictures of the Covered Bridges on the walls behind the bed. I know that they wanted a new look but I liked them a lot better than the new "prints" they have on the walls instead. I must say I am very disappointed that with all the money they spent on this new remodel, that they couldn't find the funds to put in New Sliding Screen Doors on the Balconies. Also, the Sliding Glass Doors are so old, some of them don't even lock properly. We would love to have a bottom pin-screw lock on the doors so we can have them open at night with the pin-screw in a locked position for safety and fresh air. They shouldn't allow smoking on the balconies of the rooms, as when we do open our balcony door, if someone is smoking near us, it comes into our room. Very unpleasant!

We have been through numerous new owners for this property over the years. We hope these new owners will make these needed changes. So far, not bad for the new major remodel, with the exception of some of the items I mentioned above. It is still our very Favorite place to stay in Eugene!

Oh, and one last thing. We love to take walks here. They have a walking trail right in front of the hotel. You could go for miles, and we do. I think they still rent bikes at the hotel if you want to ride a bike instead. Just plan accordingly so you are not walking at dusk or dark. If you love to shop, the Valley River Center Mall is on the same property. Plenty of shopping to do there.

Room Tip: Get a River Room and pay for the Concierge Level so you have access to the "private" Conci...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I travel frequently for business and found this hotel online. It looked great from the pictures I saw, so I booked it. When I arrived I immediately noticed that it was a little outdated in the lobby and common areas. The hallways and elevator are very "oldy-fash" feeling. The room itself is good; obviously they have been updated in comparison to the rest of the hotel. The room is not terribly sound proof, and I can hear most all of the happenings outside my room and in the next room. Also have a broken door knob in my bathroom but no big deal.

I looked online at the SweetWaters menu for some dinner and decided on a delicious sounding Vegetable Napolean meal. I called down to the restaurant to order but they didn't know what meal I was talking about. So I wandered down there and received great service from the restaurant staff. Turns out their online menus are out of date and they no longer serve most of the dinner dishes listed online. I ordered a chicken dish and it was fine. I will say that the food is insanely overpriced, but I expect that at any hotel unfortunately.

All in all, it's okay. Will likely stay here again if I have business in Eugene. Would love to experience it in the Spring or Summer for the view.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank PrincipalEBS
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed January 25, 2013

We've stayed here several times when in Eugene. It is a the staple of "four star" hotels in Eugene. The VRI is the hotel for practically every visiting team to the UO and for corporate events. The rooms have been updated over the years, but the dated fixtures in most of the rooms give the place that "seventies" feel. Some of the rooms have been renovated, make sure to ask for them. The front desk and service are always great to us, and usually accommodate special requests, (room preferences, extra bedding, essentials, airport shuttle,etc).

The rooms are always clean, but they are a little frumpy. Remember, this is an older hotel. However, it is in the hub of everything central to Eugene; including downtown, UO events and Autzen, and, of course, Valley River Center. The beds are only so-so, nothing to write special about them. The bathrooms and toiletries are also on the austere side.

The hotel features a continental breakfast on the third floor with standard high carb fare, made to order waffles, and a fresh fruits. The assortment is a little better than most four star continental breakfasts because it is Eugene, so there are high fiber, low sugar breads, great coffee, and wider array of fruits. Seating can get limited, especially if there are major events going on, (i.e. Duck games and holidays), especially in the early a.m. and last minute rushes prior to closing. Also, a couple dollars for tipping isn't necessary, but....

As with seating, parking next to your room is a real challenge during busy times due to the lay out of the hotel. However, you can always find a place within a hundred yards, at most.

Although it is always reliable, and the location is great, there are more modern hotels with newer amenities. You can do better than the VRI, but you can't go wrong either.

Room Tip: You can usually get the best deals on rooms when you call the front desk directly. Always ask for t...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank sundaddydo
ValleyRiverInn, Front Office Manager at Valley River Inn, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback regarding Valley River Inn. As you mentioned, we are a local favorite, and have a great location on the river.

We did just recently complete a multi-million dollar renovation of the entire hotel, including public areas, Sweetwaters, and the guest rooms.

We pride ourselves on our rich history in Eugene and strive to provide a warm and enjoyable experience to everyone who stays with us.

Director of Front Office Services
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed January 23, 2013

From check-in to check-out the stay exceeded our expectations. Nicely remodeled since our last stay which added value. The location of the Inn allows you to walk to shopping, movies, dining and many other activities safely. If you prefer not to leave the property, room service and the in house restaurant are exceptional! It's difficult to find hotels with all inclusive amenities and service with room to move around! You will find, this is one; with everything you need for relaxation and a great time.
Happy traveling!

Room Tip: My preference are the rooms overlooking the river.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Larry W
Hillsboro, Oregon
Reviewed January 5, 2013

My girlfriend and I traveled 2 hours to attend a New Years event held here. We bought a package deal. Our room was on the Concierge level. This included a Concierge lounge which included free drinks and Horderves and a brunch in the morning in their restaurant called. Sweetwaters ( on the river). Check in was awful, no eye contact, talking very fast. Poor/lack of information given. Concierge lounge, very small, food: cold, and old. drinks were good, Thank you Chris. No microwave and frig in room. everything was VERY small. ie waste basket, ice bucket,. Heater was loud. VERY poor service and food in restaurant. Buffet food was cold, and they were 20 minutes late opening the buffet. I would not return again. .

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Nancy G
ValleyRiverInn, Front Office Manager at Valley River Inn, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent experience with us. I am very sorry to see that you encountered problems and dificulties during your stay and check in. This type of feedback is very important and helpful to us to make improvements and provide continued training for the team.

There is no excuse for poor service, and please be assured I have shared your comments with the front desk team so they can learn and improve in the deficiencies you mentioned.

Please be assured that what you experienced in the Concierge Lounge and Sweetwaters is not the typical experience of our guests, and I am following up in both areas.

We hope to have you as a guest again should your travels for a special occasion, or other wise, bring you back to the Eugene area.

Director of Front Office Operations
salem, oregon
Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Valley River Inn on New Year's Eve last year & this year, 2012. I didn't give the hotel a glowing review last time but received a message the hotel was going to be updated by my next visit. And it was! My room was a lot prettier with some modern features. It's a huge hotel & it was not remodeled head to toe, but the room finally looked like it belonged in the 21st century! Good job! However, it's still not energy efficient - cold, insulated breeze ways. Heavy 70ish wood paneling and fixtures in lobbies. Squeaky floors - could hear the guy in room above me just walking around his room. Tiny elevator - barely room for 2 with only duffle bags for luggage. It's a great location next to the Awesome VRC mall, restaurants and IMAX theatre ... So the Inn will always have a big customer base. We'll be back New Year's Eve! Great customer service. Nice restaurant with a lovely river view.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank bexnate
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the valley river inn during my visit to Eugene. It's a great location just across the street by the valley river center shopping mall and regal cinema. one would think location like this would be so busy but it was surprisingly quiet because it is built by the river band. downstairs has a great high class dining area Sweetwater with a beautiful view of the valley river and the river walk. it was a very relaxing stay.

• Stayed December 2012
Thank you for staying with us at Valley River Inn, and for going online to share your experience. We appreciate hearing from our guests, as all types of feedback are essential.

I am happy to see that you had a very relaxing stay and were able to enjoy Sweetwaters on the River. As you mentioned, we are truly in a great and unique location. Not only being on the river, but in such close proximity to numerous local favorites.

Next time you stay with us, be sure to check out our bicycle rentals! We have several Cruisers available for our guests to explore the river path that is in front of Valley River Inn.

Again, thank you for staying with us, we hope to see you again in the near future.

Director of Front Office Operations