“Lovely Riverside Setting”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Seattle
“Lovely Riverside Setting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

When traveling between Seattle and Southern Oregon, my husband and I have lately chosen to spend a night in Eugene at the Valley River Inn to break up an otherwise nine-hour drive. We always ask for a river side room with a balcony and very much enjoy the serene setting. From our comfortable perch we can watch the rushing river, alongside of which runners and joggers enjoy the new, widened promenade. The hotel, newly renovated, now has a very modern, yet comfortable feel. The decor is done in muted tones and and varied textures, with a slightly Asian flavor. The restaurant is excellent, with a good selection, and although we usually have fish there, this time we tried the Rack of Lamb, which was delicious, and they even had mint jelly for the meat.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
ValleyRiverInn, Front Office Manager at The Valley River Inn, responded to this review, September 22, 2012
Thank you for staying with us at Valley River Inn while you were in Eugene. As you mentioned, the riverview is definetely one of a kind, and that makes us a favorite destination for travelers.

Our remodel is now complete and we are a brand new hotel. I am happy to see you enjoyed the new decor. We were able to mix in the new while keeping the traditional aspects that Valley River Inn is known for.

Thank you for sharing your experience and we hope to have you as a guest again in the future.

Rachel Edwards
Director of Front Office Services

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
White Rock, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

This place was booked online by my wife for a place to stay one night on our little get away. We were suppose to have a river front view with a deck to sit on and take in the sites. what we got was a room tuck in the inside corner of a court yard area with NO Deck and no view. There was a very sparse room with no fridge only a little small container for ice. The room stunk like they had just spayed the room for bed bugs or something. The bed looked like it had just been slept in the the covers just pulled back up and left. Very poor done room by the maid. t was dark and no very inviting.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Keith H
Northridge, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

We were in town for a family reunion. Checked in late, but it wasn't a big deal. We were upgraded to a riverfront room by the guy in charge that night, which was nice. I think his name was Devon. We needed a roll-away bed and it was brought to our room quickly and without hassle. The next morning, we got extra towels from the housekeeping manager who was very nice and helpful. My kids enjoyed the pool, especially since the weather was really nice during our stay. The spa was a little disappointing. Could use some upgrading, but the water was hot and clean in the jacuzzi. The only reason I didn't give an excellent rating is because of the spa.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Orchard Park NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

I spent three nights here and enjoyed the hotel and amenities very much. I had a a large room and found the hotel generally clean with a friendly staff. The free shuttle picked me up from the airport which has to be 15 miles away and the driver was friendly and chatty - meaning a great first impression. The restaurant and lounge is set off the river with a nice view and great atmosphere. The drinks and bar menu were very reasonable which takes me to except...except the restaurant menu (not lounge menu) is grossly overpriced with items more suited for a chic crowd going out for a night in Manhattan. I paid in excess of $25 for a chicken dish with a single piece of grisly chicken and a scoop of rice. There is only ONE thing I would change about this hotel - that is their restaurant menu - seriously $40 for a piece of chicken and an add-on salad - too much.

Room Tip: eat in the adjacent lounge
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank scottop
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay at Valley River Inn. We truly appreciate all feedback so that we can celebrate our success's as well as improve in other areas.

I am happy to see that you enjoyed your stay and your room. I apologize that your dining experience and menu options were not what you were expecting. I have shared your comments with the Chef and the restaurant manager.

Again, thank you for your feed back and we hope to see you again when you return to the Eugene area.

Rachel Edwards
Director of Front Office Services
Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

We have been staying at VRI for many years but the property had deteriorated so much we had avoided it the last number of years preferring some of the newer hotels in town and being not at all willing to pay the prices they charged. The location on the river is fabulous and a remodel has been completed. The rooms are much fresher and cleaner feeling but some of the public areas remain lacking with dirty elevators and peeling wallpaper in the halls. On the concierge floor they offer a cocktail hour in the evenings and a continental breakfast. Cocktail hour was fine but there was no breakfast instead sending us to the restaurant, Sweetwaters, with a voucher. It worked out fine for us.
I guess if you want a place on the river and close to Valley River Mall the Inn is fine. However, for the price there are many better choices in Eugene.

Room Tip: If it fits in the budget get a riverview room
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
ValleyRiverInn, Front Office Manager at The Valley River Inn, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Thank you for choosing to try Valley River Inn again. I am happy to see that you thought the remodel really helped the room quality. Yes, our location is one of a kind in Eugene, Oregon. I apologize that there was a break down in the Concierge Lounge, but glad you got to enjoy breakfast at Sweetwaters on the River.

Hopefull we wil see you again when your travels bring you to the Eugene area.
Northumberland, VA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

Stayed in the hotel in August of 2012 for a week during a conference. The renovated rooms were very nice and I'd highly recommend the riverview rooms. However, the waitress at the restaurant was rude and couldn't handle our large party at dinner (despite having reservations far in advance--perhaps just poor planning). The food at the restaurant was awful the first night (soggy fish and chips that were cold on arrival--all the food was cold for the large party), but was much better when we went in smaller groups later in the week (although still overpriced). The front desk staff were very nice and helped arrange shuttle trips on a number of occasions. The hotel is very nice and for the most part it was a great stay.
My biggest complaint was with billing. We arranged payment through my university and I watched them receive the fax for the card information and confirmed that the room should be bill to that card. I made the mistake of giving them my card for incidentals and was charged $1300 at checkout. It took them over a week to get it figured out and refund the money, and I was charged an additional $1300 again the following week. Still waiting on a resolution...not good timing as my wedding is coming up quickly, but I was told there'd be a resolution soon. I'd be very careful with how you pay them, as I've seen similar reviews on tripadvisor as well

Room Tip: Get the riverview room. Great views of the trail and sliding doors that open to a nice patio
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking time to share your experience at Valley River Inn, We appreciate candid feedback such as yours so that we can continually improve as we learn what our guests have experienced. I am very disappointed to see you had such an unpleasant experience in Sweetwaters, and with the billing. If this hasn't already been completely resolved, contact me at the hotel directly and I will follow up. You can reach me at 541/743-1000 X465, or at redwards@valleyriverinn.com.

I am happy to see that otherwise you enjoyed your room and the view, it is truly amazing and relaxing to sit on balcony over looking the Willamette River. Again, thank you for your feedback, hopefully we will see you again in the near future.
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

The hotel overall is very dated but the rooms were recently redone so they are very nice inside and large. The service was good at check-in (the concierge was personable and talkative). Our toilet was clogging and we were given the option for someone to come up or move rooms. We were already settled so we had someone come up and they were there right away. The amenities like shampoo are nice quality. We had a room which was the farthest end of the hotel which was a really long walk with luggage but luckily they have a stairway exit to the parking lot which made loading our luggage easier.

It is right across the street from the mall and there is a Starbucks and Red Lobster within walking distance. There is also a World Market and a cool burger place that I wished I could've tried. Eugene is a sleepy town so everything closes by 10pm. Starbucks was already closed when we walked by at 9:30pm.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us at Valley River Inn. I am happy to see that you enjoyed your remodeled room, we are very happy with our renovation. Thank you for mentioning the staff that took such great care of you, they truly enjoy seeing those comments. We do pride ourselves in making sure our guests have a good experience, and if there is a problem, that it corrected as quickly as possible.

As you mentioned, we are conveniently located next to great shopping, and World Market is a local favorite. We will see you again when you come back to Eugene, again, thank you for your feedback.