“Newmans Not So Subltle Change in Quality”

Newman’s Fish Company
Ranked #36 of 635 Restaurants in Eugene
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I started going to Newmans in 2009 and enjoyed the fried scallops meal that I had at the Coburg location every time I went. Out of necessity, the price of the scallops had to increase dramatically (gas, the economy, whatever) and I understood. What I don't understand is that the quality of the scallops has gone down, the batter has thickened and the oil used to cook the scallops is just not as fresh as it should be. I'm willing to pay more for the same quality but not for inferior food.

Reviewed August 2, 2012

NO one does fish better than Mewman's. Great price, generous portions, friendly staff. No muss no fuss! Stop by today.

Reviewed July 24, 2012 via mobile

I had high expectations for this place but it didn't deliver. Food was priced right but nothing special. Grilled fish and rice made me wish for some vegetables. Salmon on rice didn't delight. Breaded scallops weren't above average.
I rarely give bad reviews. This wasn't bad food, just not special. Kids had chowder that had too much pepper. Food was heavy handed all around. I will try something else next time.

Reviewed July 14, 2012

Newman's is a sunny day experience. That'll make your food taste better too. Not that this food requires that, but it does make the experience a better one. It's not often you see deep fried salmon on anyone's menu, but that's one of the standard selections here, and I always get it. Salmon is superb as a deep fried offering, and given that halibut is so absurdly expensive (and not that much better anyway), get the salmon and enjoy a wonderful meal.

Reviewed June 27, 2012

Newman's is a fish & chips takeout eatery, but the fish is fresh and the cost is reasonable. We will go back again and again.

Been to Newman’s Fish Company? Share your experiences!