“Pretty good overall, others are better”
Review of Secret Garden Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Eugene
Secret Garden Inn
Ranked #7 of 17 Eugene B&B and Inns
Portland OR
“Pretty good overall, others are better”
Reviewed January 25, 2008

Positives: our suite on the main floor was very nice and we especially enjoyed the gas stove and the lights I thought looked kind of goofy at first gave off lovely light. The location is pretty good. Another good thing is that the dogs seem to be doing a little better than they were in the past reviews! I am not a dog lover, but they were kind of cute and didn't get in our way or beg.
Negatives: Breakfast was not good. This is very disappointing because it is the only reason I stay at a B & B. I commented on how the food didn't match the menu and was told that someone didn't show up to work that day. I still don't understand the reasoning there. The reason the service is not very good (check in issues, check out issues, and I was called dude, which I thought was weird - I am not a guy or under 30) is because they employ university students. Which is fine, as long as they train them really well, which they aparently don't here.

• Liked — our room
  • Disliked — Service & breakfast. Try the C'est La Vie Inn which we liked better.
Stayed January 2008
1 Thank z_portland

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Austin
Reviewed January 20, 2008

I sympathize with some of the previous posts. the dogs are annoying and I'm a big dog lover. They did poop on the stairs the night i was there (lovely). The dogs did bark late at night and early in the morning. The "take off your shoes" is understandable to avoid too much nose on top floors (I guess), but it was VERY annoying to me. I hate that. I felt like I was in prison. The bathroom in my room had ants.

Having said all of those things, the BED was incredibly comfortable. Great bed!!

I did not eat the breakfast so cannot comment on that.

Stayed January 2008
1 Thank profwho88
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed March 27, 2007

I have stayed in B & B over the years and I ahve fallen in love with this one! The staff was wonderful and so friendly. I was able to feel like I was at home. I enjoyed every mornings breakfast. Nothing was the same. I will be coming back and I hope this time to stay for awhile longer.

• Liked — The size of the rooms and food.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank gooddayPortland
Pleasanton, CA
Reviewed March 11, 2007

This was my 3rd stay at the Secret Garden. It is a beautiful old home with very comfortable beds and the rooms are all decorated nicely. The common rooms are also very nice. For some reason however there seems to be less than a warm feeling in this beautiful place. The 2 dogs are cute but need to be cleaned up and also need to be more controlled by the staff. I love dogs and have 2 in my own home but I always make sure they are not underfoot when guests are in my home. The first morning we sat down for breakfast and both dogs were begging at the table, when I looked down there was a pile of dog poop right on the dining room floor that had obviously been there for several hours. The waitress quickly cleaned it up an apologized but it was disgusting. The next morning one of the dogs had messy diahrhea at the top of the stairs! It was cleaned up after the staff was alerted but again why have the dogs around the quests when this happens repeatedly. The breakfasts all 3 times have been medicore and often cold.

• Liked — beautiful restored home
  • Disliked — felt overall experience could have been so much better!
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank number1mommyJ
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 9, 2005

We have stayed in B&Bs for 15 years, & this one was probably the worst! The breakfast was terrible - food, service, everything. To top it off, their little dog put his feet up on guests' chairs begging, & if fed, puked on the floor next to the chair! We were not allowed to wear shoes inside (inconvenient). The staff was unfriendly & aloof. The inn was very overpriced. The highlight was a nice cat that had to stay outside (while the obnoxious dog stayed in the lobby to annoy guests). We would never stay at The Secret Garden again!

• Stayed March 2004
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 8, 2004

The innkeeper/owner of this bed and breakfast was very insulting to us. Check out time was scheduled for 11:30. When we walked in the door at 11:20, the innkeeper scolded us and told us to hurry up because other guests were waiting. She also scolded us about taking a blanket off of a trundle bed in our room. She proceeeded to go on about the issue of the blanket in front of other guests. It was really disturbing. For $150.00 a night I would expect to at least be treated kindly and with respect. There are many other lovely and less expensive bed and breakfasts in Eugene and I would definitely reccommend staying somewhere other than the Secret Garden.

14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member