“So much better than cookie cutter hotels!”
Review of Excelsior Inn

Excelsior Inn
Ranked #6 of 16 Eugene B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 16, 2010

My daughter and I stayed at the Excelsior Inn while visiting the U of O. We have traveled all over the world together and enjoy the B & B experience. The Excelsior was excellent. Our room was very small (which was our choice) but charming. Breakfast was ordered from the restaurant menu - eggs benedict from a B & B at this price? Fantastic! The location is 1 1/2 blocks from the University and walking distance from downtown. Staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: November 2010

Reviewed November 2, 2010

We swung thru Eugene for 1 night during a 5-1/2 week PacNW trip that had 15 separate hotel reservations. Excelsior was one of the top 4 in all categories. We dislike the lacy frilliness of Victorians; Excelsior is more Craftsman-style, with solid wood floors that don't creak and clean lines that set off the antique furniture without fussiness. Restaurant is outstanding, one of the best meals (and dessert-swoon!) we had, right up there with Paley's Place/Portland, Olivar & Spinasse/Seattle, and Cafe Beaujolais/Mendocino. 2 minuses: very little parking available, and a 6-story apartment bldg is being built within 5 ft of inn that will block sun and light.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 25, 2010

Very small (12-room) inn with beautiful rooms, pleasant (though mostly absent!) staff and a very good restaurant attached. I stayed in a room overlooking some construction next door and didn't know it until I opened the curtains in the morning, having slept (quite comfortably) right through it. I highly recommend it. Very close to U. of O. campus.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank jag343
Reviewed October 23, 2010

This is a very nice B&B type hotel. It was clean, well maintained, with a high speed internet connection, and the furnishings were plush. Very close to University of Oregon campus. There is a good restaurant on the premises.

I didn't get much sleep because I was so nervous about the interview, but the beds were certainly comfortable.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank rehovot79
Reviewed October 4, 2010

Although I got a package, which was a smaller room, $60 off dinner for 2, free dessert, and breakfast for 2, we were both disappointed. Primarily because the wesite doesn't give a clue as to how very small this place is. It is hard to find, and for us lobby was locked also, and after driving for 6 hours, didn't feel like going around to front and then having to come back, and wait some more. As the other review, perhaps if we had had a bigger room, we would have reacted differently. We had the Shubert room - and it was waaaaay too small for two people, even with our small amount of luggage. We kept bumping in to each other and the luggage. Restaurant was disappointing - menu not what I expected, and my dinner was not that great. My husband had the special bouillabaise, which was excellent, but dessert left us cold. Wait service seemed good, but upon paying closer attention, realized there was a lack of caring for the customer (I feel I should have been warned how really huge my entree was, difficulty with bill, etc.)

The front desk staff and wait staff at breakfast were excellent. Breakfast was very good. Place was clean and neat, and beyond a couple problems in bathroom (easily fixed) and the lack of space, was quite a charming little B&B. But the smallness of the room was a real turnoff (as was the number of films in the wardrobe, which would prevent really putting clothes away if staying for longer than overnight). Room is perfect for one person.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2010

At the end of a long day of sightseeing we were eager to get to the Excelsior for a nice evening and dinner. However, the directions to the Inn that are on the internet are incorrect! We spent at least a half hour backtracking and trying to find the street we were supposed to turn on. When we finally found the street, we knew we had to go down an alley to the parking area, but what a turn off that is. There are huge blue dumpsters along the alley and the parking area is very small at the back of their building. Its not a very classy way to welcome guests, but I understand may be the only thing they can do. Then the door to the lobby was locked with a sign to go to the restaurant. Ugh. Finally we were given our keys after being told about the double parking issue in their lot.

I think the selection of room has a lot to do with satisfaction at the Excelsior Inn. Unfortunately we had one of the smallest rooms because they were completely booked. We were unhappy with that room but understand that is all that was available and that there are larger rooms that may give a completely different experience. Obviously people are happy with this hotel if they are completely booked.

We had high hopes for dinner. We were glad we could eat at the Inn without having to move the car and find a place to eat. Wine was good. Appetizers were good. Entrees were disappointing. My husband did not like his ravioli at all, and the sauce looked really dry, not like a sauce. I had ordered the chicken but the "cheesy polenta" was not withheld as I asked, and a substitute croquette was not there. The server apologized and said she would get the croquette but never came back. The polenta was under the chicken so I had to scrape it all off and put it aside -- the server did apologize when she saw it sitting on the saucer.

We were only in Eugene as a stopping point for the evening on our way to Crater Lake. Its a college town so there is not much else. I would recommend the Excelsior Inn only if you rented a larger room and had a reason to be in Eugene.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 2, 2010

We stayed one night to celebrate my husband's birthday. I ordered a special package and a lovely bottle of chilled Italian sparkling wine and a selection of petit fours and other pastries were waiting when we got to our room. We stayed in Puccini which was charmingly furnished and very clean. There was a selection of movies in the room and when we returned from dinner, we sat in bed and watched one. Breakfast the next morning was included in the package and was quite tasty. The best feature was probably the staff. They were friendly, helpful and everything was ready for us when we arrived.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple