“A Favorite”
Review of Excelsior Inn

Excelsior Inn
Ranked #5 of 16 Eugene B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 13, 2012

My husband and I have stayed here numerous times and request the DeBussy Room although we have also stayed in the larger Tschaikovsky Room probably 3x (next door). We obviously have no problem sleeping on the bed in DeBussy although a previous Review submitted on this site mentioned that the bed was uncomfortable.

Since the Inn only has 13 rooms, one needs to book early if planning to stay on a weekend or schedule during an event at nearby U of O. There is a lack of adequate parking spaces but the staff works hard to make it a non-issue for guests.

The Inn is charming, tastefully decorated and clean. The staff is hospitable and accommodating. The complimentary breakfast is excellent although the wait staff in the a.m. is not in the same league as their evening servers, Jake and Matthew. Both of them are exceptional and experienced servers who make dining there pleasant and memorable. The food at the Restaurant is very good; in fact, there have been times when we have stayed at the Inn that we have had every meal there (and we usually stay 4-5 days when we travel to Eugene). I highly recommend the Summer Pudding when it is in season and a table in the Garden outside (weather-permitting).

We always look forward to an opportunity to return to The Excelsior Inn.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ladysaddler
There are newer reviews for Excelsior Inn

Reviewed July 2, 2012

Eugene has many terrific B&Bs and inns, but few if any can match Excelsior's location, just a couple blocks from the U of Oregon campus. Our room was not gigantic, but it was comfortable and fit a queen bed and a rollaway. The bed was fine, the rollaway a bit soft.

Towels were thick and shower pressure was good. The complimentary breakfast was terrific; you don't always get that from a B&B. Service overall was friendly and prompt.

School was out of session when we stayed, so can't say if there'd be nighttime noise from nearby off-campus student housing. Parking is limited (only about five or six spaces in back) and we ended up being given a free pass to the parking garage of the hospital a few blocks away, which was fine.

Room Tip: The third floor rooms have some quirky low and angled ceilings. The second floor rooms have the thir...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 30, 2012

6 months ago, I called over 50 places to find something for the olympic trials. There were NO rooms available in all of Eugene, but Excelsior initially only had 1 night available. They placed my son and I on a cancellation list and we managed to get lucky to have our entire stay with them. We had to change rooms, from Strauss to Debussy but they made it so easy for us without feeling displaced at all. Check in was easy, the Inn was clean, smelled nice, the decor was lovely, beds were comfortable, the fridge, microwave, tea, was a bonus, the breakfast was included and it was great we had it in our room every morning at 7am, and on the last day they packaged us our breakfast to go since we had a 6am flight.

Leanne at reception is a gem. She really made it like we were staying with an old friend. She was always smiling, gave us directions to places, maps for hiking and running, printed boarding passes, gave us recommendations to anything we asked for.

I ate almost every meal in Eugene here at their restaurant. The portions were good, the food was fresh(right from their farm), the staff were all so nice. We ate both inside and out(the courtyard is beautiful). The martinis were fantastic and very unique. They were vegetarian friendly, they made me something exactly as I asked even though it was not on the menu.

This location cannot be beat, just 2 blocks to Hayward Field and anything you need is nearby. We had a car but walked everywhere. I would stay here for sure if ever we return to Eugene. Thanks for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 30, 2012

I have stayed here many times and find it just about the most lovely place to stay in Eugene!! Off Street parking behind the building. Great staff who know you by name; accomodating to late check in (I have had times where I couldn't arrive until late late in the evening), nice selection in the bar (which is beautiful to look at), nice room appointments, close proximity to U of O campus (walking distance about 2 blocks) and on goes the list. I made my reservation to stay here for the upcoming 2012 U of O graduation; i made it quite a while ago upon recommendations from the staff.....thank heavens......

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 21, 2012

This Inn has a lot of potential. I can tell that its attempting to find its place in the old romantic, euro style bed and breakfasts. However, for almost $200 per night, it fails to deliver the quality that it should. My husband and I love b&b's, and I have never experienced such a horrible mattress in my whole life. Every time you turn, the bed would squeak. I hope that perhaps if you ever did stay here, you would avoid the Debussy Room. Maybe the other beds are better quality than this one. I awoke unrested and a bit annoyed. The decor of the room was well done, but in the end, you're expecting to sleep there and you cannot sleep on this bed. We ate dinner and breakfast at the restaurant; nothing to rave about, but not poor either. I appreciate the farm connection, but it just seems like somebody has lost their passion to cook. Many of the dishes were pretty enjoyable, but then my husband orders a great hamburger with fries that look like they came out of a package. Needless to say, we won't ever come back here. I'd rather stay at a regular old hotel for a decent price than be disappointed by this bed and breakfast attempt.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Alyssa E
Reviewed March 18, 2012

Great stay. The first morning I had breakfast which was some sort of a pastry with local eggs. The local eggs have a creamy orange yolk which is,for lack of a better description " to die for ". The staff was helpful and friendly. Matt served me some great Ninkasi beers and made sure I had a wonderful breakfast box in the morning and also that I was parked to make an early exit for my early flight. (Parking can occasionally involve double parking, which might seem strange but if you talk to the staff there will be no problems) Sasha was also very kind and helpful: I was having problems with my flight reservations and she stayed on hold with United on one line while I tried to work out issues with Alaska on my cell. This was above and beyond. The room "Puccini" was pleasant and comfortable.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Micah W
Reviewed March 10, 2012

If you are going to Eugene and "WOW" isn't enough be sure to try the Excelsior. It's just a few blocks from the college in a neighborhood full of funky shops and restaurants but it remains an oasis of calm and discerning comfort.

I was amazed at the level of quality and comfort for the price and to top it off the inn's restaurant was superb.

Ciao Excelsior but no for long!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo