“Nice Inn”

Ranked #3 of 17 Eugene B&B and Inns
Malvern, PA
“Nice Inn”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2008

Nice Inn located within walking distance of river walking paths which can lead you into the campus of University of Oregon. Staff friendly; food satisfying. We were given complimentary passes for a glass of wine each however, when we presented them at dinner we were told that we could not use them during the dinner hour - should have been clearer. Only negative is the train constantly running at all hours of the day and night. Made for a very restless night sleep. Not crazy about that. Other than that, beds were comfortable. K&C PA

• Liked — Location to walking paths
  • Disliked — Train running constantly throughout the day/evening
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Seattle WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2008

We wondered why we had ear plugs until the first train came by so we suggest you use them to avoid the train noise. We had dinner and were pleased with the quality of the food and the presentation.

• Liked — Quaint old inn with history
  • Disliked — Style (Victorian)
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Davis, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2008

Really wonderful B&B. The room we stayed in was cozy and well-appointed. The breakfasts were worth eating even if you're not staying at the inn - every morning was something special. Great location, walking distance to 5th street market.

• Stayed August 2006
Hampton, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2008

The hotel was lovely and in a great location for walks to restaurants, parks and shops. I would definitely recommend the Campbell House as a great place to stay while in Euguene. The only reason I don't give rate it a five is that I felt we were a little misled and mistreated. We booked two of the nicer rooms many months in advance and specifcally advised we were travelling with our two sons who are almost 12 and 14 and that we needed three beds. A few weeks before our trip, the property contacted us two times within two days before I could return their call. When I returned their call, they said they had a cottage available for us and if I took it, I could save $99. I thought that was a little strange and told them that I did not care about the $99, I prefered whatever would give us the most space and reiterated that we needed three beds. Well, the response was something like "this way you can be all together" which I should have figured out was code for we want you out of the main hotel. When we got there, they advised they would like us to stay out of the lobby that evening between 6 and 9 because they were having a private party. This was a disappointment, because there was normally the opportunity to get movies and books from the lobby and enjoy a complimentary glass of wine, and there was a dining room. (We had planned to maybe order the kids a pizza and have dinner in the inn that night but that was no longer an option). We were instructed to park at the back of the cottage, about a block and a half away. Well, the back of the cottage looks like a shabby chic explosion, and we could barely get our luggage around the house and inside. There were all sorts of old cars parked out there, and someone obviously lives upstairs because I heard them walking around at 2 a.m. The other drawbacks of the cottage --- no electricity in many parts of the "house" (in fact, a workman was there when we arrived trying to fix things and his tools were everywhere) screaming train whistles in the dead of the night (they left us ear plugs), one little bathroom with one little towel for each of us, two queen beds (we ended up getting a rollaway) and NO COFFEE. I had to get dressed and hike up to the main hotel in the morning to get my little paper cup of java. I found out later that I could have had a carafe delivered for $8. They were careful to inform us that the beverages in the refrigerator (soda and water) were NOT complimentary. Under the circumstances, I think they could have thrown in a diet coke or two. At any rate, I wish they had just told me the truth at the beginning - "hey, we don't want you and your kids in the hotel that night anymore" -- I can handle the truth and would have understood. Instead, I really felt we were shoved to the side.

Stayed June 2008
4 Thank Mom45
East Sacramento, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2008

My partner and I lived in Eugene under less than ideal circumstances several years ago. Fortunately, our fortunes changed and we were able to visit on a vacation this past August. We weren't sure where to stay as our previous experiences had been limited to the Motel 6 variety or the like. This time we figured we'd stay at a Sheraton, Red Lion or something with at least clean towels etc.

Coming into Eugene, a wonderful, wonderful town by the way, with wonderful wonderful people, we saw a sign for the Campbell House with a phone number. So, why not?? Drove by this wonderful old Victorian in the historic district of Eugene, right below Skinner Butte, and thought, oh dear, nice but can't afford it. But gave them a call anyway. $140 a night !! they said. OK we'll take it.

Beautiful, beautiful room with elegantly draped bay window, high ceilings, wonderful antiques, writing desk, reading chairs, charming bathroom, thick wonderful bathrobes, and ... room service!! Who ever heard of room service in a Bed and Breakfast? But they served my partner tea in bed, and then wisked it away when done. Complimentary breakfast is served in their elegant dining room and they also serve dinner, although we did not partake. They have evening wine at the very elegant bar and.... it is probably one of the best places I have ever stayed (there is a place on the Isle de la Cite, but that's for another time). Beautiful grounds, friendly staff, a gazebo to curl up and read a book, near the railroad station (they give you ear plugs - but I like to hear the whistle blow) near downtown, not far from the University, and, of course, best of all, it's in Eugene, one of the most civilized places on earth.

Just a few blocks away is shopping and great restaurants. If you feel like slumming it a little, check out the Red Apple Market at 5th and Blair and have their fried chicken. You will be the only person in line paying cash as everyone else is using the Oregon Trail Card. Thank God for socialist Oregon.

If you really want to get to know Eugene go a few miles south (maybe about 5-7 miles) on I-5 to - can't remember the exit, but there are a couple of gas stations there - ask some of the locals - and there is a great nude beach on the Willamette River. (I think it might be the Franklin Blvd. exit, before Cloverdale) You have to wade across a little tributary to get there, but worth it. Mostly gay, but some mixed couples as well. It's a great place, peaceful, beautiful. Fun. (Make sure to keep valuables out of sight when you park your car,however.)

So,if in Eugene don't miss Campbell House. I suspect it is really the best place in town by far.

• Liked — Elegant room with room service
  • Disliked — Had to walk through dining room to get to room, but hey, it's a B & B that's part of the charm
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dajuice
Ocean Park, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2008

I just came back yesterday from a business meeting in Eugene at the Campbell House. I stayed in the Gabriel Glenn Nathan Room #314 in the Carriage House. It was so very warm and comfortable. They warned us about the possible train noise. I did hear it once just as I was getting into bed but I didn't even need the earplugs they thoughtfully supply. I almost always sleep with them at home and I found it surprising that I did not need it here.

I particularly enjoyed the wonderful Jetted tub. I brought my own conditioner and shampoo and other bath amenities with me but even if I hadn't I would not have needed anything. They have a wonderful conditioning shampoo and body lotion. They supplied me with everything I could possibly need including a comb, mending kit, razor, shaving cream, feminine necessities and more. Their soap was marvelous and you can even buy some in the lobby for a very reasonable price. The towels were extremely luxurious and oversized.

There was even a personal note addressed to me on my pillow when I checked in along with some treats and a wonderful "All natural sleep beverage". It was like chocolate milk that you can have cold or hot. It was wonderful and does not make you sleepy in the morning like most sleep promoters.

I particularly enjoyed the tea and mugs in my room with a special near boiling hot water tap to make myself a hot beverage. The small fridge had bottles of water and juice that were very nice to have. They even double sheet the bed so you know you are sleeping in a clean bed. The bed was so comfortable that I did not want to get out of it once I was in it.

Breakfast was truly fantastic and you will have to try their scones. I am a bit of a scone snob but these are worth two thumbs up. They even gave me the recipe!

The staff is amazingly attentive and welcoming. I felt so well taken care of during my stay. Lydia was so kind to chat with me, give a map of the area and point me in the right direction to the places I needed to go. The Inn is so conveniently located that you only need to walk a short distance to reach so much. I really did not want to leave and wish I could have stayed longer. This is definitely a place I will have to come back to again!

If you don’t stay here you have missed something special.

• Liked — The friendly staff and thoughtful touches
  • Disliked — That I had to leave so soon
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank InnGurl
Mendocino, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2007

While traveling up the coast on our way to Seattle, we were fortunate to stay at the Campbell House. It is a beautiful old historic home tucked away on the hillside above downtown Eugene. We were delighted to stay here - the grounds are beautiful and welcoming. The front desk staff was helpful and gave a detailed and informative welcome tour. We enjoyed a complimentary glass of wine outside in the gardens before walking to dinner. Emily at the front desk was very patient and helpful with all our dinner questions.

The room was clean and comfortable, and breakfast in the morning was very good. Delicious scones, coffee and choice of hot entree, all while basking in the morning sun through the huge picture windows of the dining room. We would love to stay again and had a wonderful night!

• Liked — Grandeur of the house & gardens, and the location
  • Disliked — a little hard for us to find - but we're not used to the big city!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple