“great service, lovely grounds”

Campbell House, A City Inn
Ranked #3 of 17 Eugene B&B and Inns
Oregon
“great service, lovely grounds”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Campbell House has beautiful gardens, with a casual, rambling beauty, and flowers appearing in random profusion. The Inn itself, --the rooms, breakfast, and staff service, show great attention to detail. Rooms have individual flavor, and their furnishings are chosen with care for looks and comfort.

The walls are a little thin, and noisy neighbors can be an issue. We found our "cozy" room somewhat cramped, despite its large windows and lovely view. We spent our spare time outdoors in the various seating areas, which were comfortable and lovely, or walking the nearby trails over the butte or along the river. If we have occasion to return, however, we will choose a larger room.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
julieDR1, Director of Sales at Campbell House, A City Inn, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Thank you for your wonderful comments about the property. We too, love our grounds, and would sit out there all day if we could. Our staff does pay great attention to detail, we appreciate you noticing that. As far as the cramped room goes, we have done some re-arranging in our "small and cozy rooms". It has added a great new feel to the room, and is just perfect for people wanting a small intimate space. I think a bigger room request from you next time you stay, would make your trip perfect. Come back and see us soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed June 24, 2012

This place is one of the best I've ever seen. The house is beautiful, we could even visit the rooms to choose the one we wanted. Each room is different but beautiful. The staff is very friendly and we got a glass of wine by checking in. The garden is very enjoyable to relax and have some drinks. The main street is only some minutes away from the hotel, and we got a list of restaurants in the center at the reception.
Disadvantage: all trains during the night, which we heard very well, but earplugs are available in each room. From the 2nd night, we didn't pay much attention to the trains anymore and could sleep better.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
, Owner at Campbell House, A City Inn, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
We are so thrilled you enjoyed your stay. That is great that you were able to enjoy the gardens, it is a relaxing place to enjoy a glass of wine, for sure. We hope you come back, and see us soon, and maybe next time the conducter won't blow that train whistle so loud. Thanks again for the nice review.
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed May 21, 2012

I was in Eugene to run the marathon and most of the hotels were booked so I decided to try this B&B. The place was very nice and clean. It is a little bigger than some B & Bs, almost more of a small hotel. The room was small, but clean and charming. What really set this place apart was the service. I have travelled all of the world and I can state that the service here was some of the best I have ever experienced. The staff were so friendly and accommodating--even during a big event like the marathon. An absolutely wonderful experience.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
myraplant, Owner at Campbell House, A City Inn, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
Thank you so much for you lovely comments. We are so happy you had the chance to stay with us during the marathon, we hope you come back next year! It is great to hear how you felt about our service, we make it a point to make everyone feel special, glad that came through in our actions. We look forward to your next visit.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed April 4, 2012

This place does it just right - right amount of warm welcome which felt sincere and most helpful, beautiful room overlooking the garden, very nice feel throughout the building, a great breakfast with good options (granola and yogurt, an egg dish and very good homemade scones.) Nice location too for a walk downtown. It gave us such a good impression of Eugene. We will definitely stay again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
myraplant, Owner at Campbell House, A City Inn, responded to this review, April 9, 2012
We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. The breakfast is always a favorite, and we are glad to see you liked the scones. Walking downtown is a great way to see Eugene, always great to hear people taking advantage of our location. Come back, and see us soon!
Victoria
Reviewed March 10, 2012

Made a quick stop at this quintessential B&B on the way south and really liked it. I got to see a great selection of rooms before deciding which was my favourite but that was a tough call. The breakfast room/common area has amazing windows overlooking the property and the location was just blocks from town.

Great staff, friendly vibe, comfy beds - check!

Oh and I found it on the "Unique Inns" site which has yet to steer me wrong :)

Room Tip: Big or small I liked them all
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
myraplant, Owner at Campbell House, A City Inn, responded to this review, March 13, 2012
We are so pleased you stopped in to see us. We agree, our windows are amazing, and with Spring around the corner you just can't beat the view. Thank you for the nice comments on the friendly staff, we all strive for a welcoming atmosphere, happy to know it shines through. We love Unique Inns, and agree, they never steer you wrong. Please stop back by for a visit, we'll be waiting for you!
Springfield
Reviewed January 19, 2012

Had booked Steven Caitlin Holly Suite for my wife and I's anniversary in December. I went early to check us into the room and get keys etc. I wasn't paying attention at the time, but was assigned the Philip Anthony Andrew room instead. Only later when my wife and I actually went to the room did she point out that we were in the wrong room. Went to ask front desk about discrepancy and was told nothing they could do as a wedding party had been booked for the suite and no other rooms available. Funny thing is that I was told the wedding party had the suite reserved for about 7 weeks. However, I had the suite reserved for nearly 3 months. In other words, they moved me so that they could put the wedding in the suite. I was told a manager would be in touch with me about this and follow-up. Never happened. No one came to our room. No one talked to us the next day at breakfast. No one called me. No one sent me a letter. Nothing. Very disappointed as my wife was very much looking forward to the same suite that we had on our wedding night and did not receive that.
The room we did stay in was nice, but no two person Jacuzzi as is in the suite. The bed was a beautiful king bed and the fireplace kept the room quite cozy through the night.
However, breakfast the next morning was another disappointment as the food was not prepared to order, but instead served buffet style. Only slightly better than the continental breakfast that is served at most hotels now-a-days. To top it off we were there at the same time as the wedding group and the one apparently fresh thing, belgian waffles, ran out before we could get any.
In summary, I believe all the rooms here to be well appointed and comfortable. Breakfast is much better at other B&B's we've been to, especially for the price that you pay for rooms here. Customer service was atrocious and probably the main thing that will keep us from returning. Next time there are plenty of other places within 1 1/2 hours drive that are better options with views of either mountains or the ocean.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ORTraveler477
myraplant, Owner at Campbell House, A City Inn, responded to this review, January 23, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are very sorry for your experience. This is my first time hearing of this, I would have gladly talked with you to clear things up at the time, had I known. It looks like on your promotional gift certificate, it was for a suite subject to availability. We should have noted that you were returning guests, and wanted a specific room, we apologize for that. It looks like you were in a nice suite, but not the one you requested. As far as breakfast goes, I talked with the servers on that morning, and it was pointed out that there was quite a bit of food left over that morning the wedding party was here. I am not sure how you weren't able to get waffles, we make them up as long as people are still wanting them. We do only have a buffet style set up, but we make you whatever you like when you ask. I'm sorry that perhaps, that system was not explained to you, and you thought only what was on the table was all that was available to you. We apologize for that. We are known for our great customer service, and to hear you felt it was "atrocious" is a hard pill to swallow. It is very hard to imagine who would act that way, but we are looking into it. Again, thank you for your review. Please feel free to contact the Inn, and ask for Kelly to discuss this situation further. All the best to you.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed January 5, 2012

I took the 5 am train from Van BC to Eugene, with a 3 hr stop-over in Seattle. By the time I arrived in Eugene at 9 pm I was tired and grumpy - road-weary. I walked 10 mins (max) to Campbell House from the train station and was greeted with hospitality, beauty, superior cleanliness, and comfort. And then I awoke to a home-made breakfast of quiche, scones, fruit, yogurt- I left very full and very happy. I was so impressed that I stayed there again on my way back through Eugene a week later. In the smaller (and very affordable) rooms there wasn't a lot of space to unpack- so if you're staying a few days I would suggest paying a bit more for more room to spread out your things. Also, you do hear occassional trains go by but this was no problem for me.

Room Tip: I got an upgrade to a carriage house room and felt like I was in a Victorian cabin- loved it
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
myraplant, Owner at Campbell House, A City Inn, responded to this review, January 9, 2012
We are so happy you stayed with us on your way back through town. That is a great compliment for us. We hope to see you on your next trip. You will have to enjoy dinner at our restaurant next time. So glad you enjoyed the breakfast, those scones are a great treat! We look forward to seeing you again.