“If this is the best Greek in town, avoid Greek food.”
Review of Poppi's Anatolia

Poppi's Anatolia
Ranked #102 of 635 Restaurants in Eugene
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Went here because it's rated the near the top for Greek food in Eugene. Wasn't worth it. The appetizer, Saganaki, was fine. No issues, but served with the wrong style of bread for traditional Greek. No big offense though.

The entrees were pretty pathetic. WIfe had the Greek chicken, which lacked flavor and was no better than any piece of baked chicken any inexperienced cook could do at home. Whenever I've gone for chicken at a Greek restaurant, I've gotten a full half of chicken. Here it was a leg & thigh. Cost: $13.50. The sides, potato and veggies, were pulled from a pot kept in the oven over the course of a dinner service. I watched the cook spoon the sides right out of the oven. No cooking appeared to be going on during the dinner service. Just food being pulled from pots. Potatoes were passable, but lacking season. This might be fine if the veggies weren't zucchini squash/onions. Was a big pile of over-cooked mush.

I ordered the Gyro plate. $13.50. The sauce and veggies were good. The meat was mass processed gyro meat. The kind of stuff I can buy at any supply store. Pressed mush. The sad thing was the kitchen had the gyro meat rotisserie, but it looked as if it hadn't been used in years. If I pay $6 for a gyro at a hot dog stand, I expect pressed/packaged meat. But if I pay twice that at a Greek restaurant, I expect the real deal homemade.

The place also served Indian food, so maybe that's good. And maybe we just ordered the wrong items off the menu. But we ordered Greek staples. If you can't do those two meals well, you can't do Greek food. I know the restaurant industry is tough right now, but we felt like Poppi's Anatolia was trying to get by while cutting too many corners.

2  Thank jlncoos

Reviewed May 15, 2013

One of my favorite places to eat. My entire family loves eating here. Sometimes you have to wait, but it is worth the waite.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Yes real greek, Baclava and more quality is awesome. And the coffee is a cut above. A quiet place for nice lunch experience.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

This is a typical Eugenian type place: eclectic with exposed piping and warm woods, and featuring Indian music humming in the background. The plates have gotten smaller and the cost bigger over the years, but I still love, love, love their taramasalata. It's served with their homemade bread and the combo is to die for. I've tried this dish in a multitude of other, much fancier, places, yet no one beats their recipe. Friendly folks and good service too.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

We had lunch at this restaurant. One of us got the moussaka with a salad and the other the Greek salad with the soup-of-the-day which was a lintel soup. Service was fast efficient and friendly -- they were not busy at all. The space is OK, but could use a bit of update or sprucing up. The dishes were good, but surprisingly small and were not overly interesting. The price was OK. One note, this is downtown and parking can be an issue but there is a large parking garage a block away.