“Great location for the parade to Autzen”

Best Western Greentree Inn
Best Western Greentree Inn
Ranked #13 of 34 Hotels in Eugene
Seattle, Washington
“Great location for the parade to Autzen”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

The hotel is one block from the path that students take to Autzen Stadium for football games. Jeremiah, the clerk at the hotel, knows a lot about the games, good places to eat and even how to help parents who say goodbye to their college kids for the first time at the beginning of the year. Unbelievably, I got a quiet room on a football weekend, thanks to him. However, he warned me that the hotel can be noisy on football weekends.

The rooms are very clean. The breakfast is cold cereal, milk, juice, bagels, and fruit plus coffee. I really appreciated the coffee maker in the room. I bought breakfast at the grocery store up and across the street. There were a refrigerator and microwave in the room.

The Glenview is great for breakfasts but you have to walk across campus. The Wild Duck is nearby and a good bet.

If you need a drug store, Hiron's is a few blocks up the street.

Bear in mind, however, there are no elevators. I like that, but others may not.

Room Tip: During football season, book way in advance.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

Upon first arriving, I wasn't sure we were at the right place, it resembles an apartment or condo complex as opposed to a motel. The room was clean and comfortable, and had a nice balcony. Within walking distance to U of O and Autzen Stadium. There were plenty of walking trails adjoining the area of the hotel, leading to a park with many walking/biking trails and a bridge over the Williamette River, which was really nice to walk over around sunset time. The walking trails provided an easy way to walk to the stadium. This location was a short drive away from downtown Eugene which offers many different restaurants.

I had no problems with this hotel and would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Orinda, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

Great location if you are visiting U of O, you can walk everywhere. We went to a U of O home game and walked to the stadium. We had issues with our key cards every day which was frustrating. The mini fridge froze all of our food, the staff at the front desk didn't seem too concerned. The bed was great, very comfortable.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Gold Beach, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

Nice clean rooms. Beds very comfortable. WiFi reception is adequate to run your computer. Within walking distance of U of O campus, Basketbal/volleyball stadium and football stadium. Plenty of good restaurants. Would highly recommend this facility.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

In September I stayed at this hotel on two separate occasions. Once on Sept 19 and again on Sept 26-30. A little back ground- we stay in hotels approximately 30 days per year, usually for business. We are platinum members at the Marriott and Platinum at Best Western (I know, so is half of the U.S.). The stay of the 19th was without incident, we checked in about 9 p.m. and left the next morning. However the stay of Sept 26-30 did not go well. This is move in week for the University of Oregon and virtually every hotel room in the city is sold out- also a home football game Saturday night. We had our reservations and checked in on the 26th.
#1) On the 27th we left the room around 10:00 and spent the day moving my daughter into an apartment. On returning to the room at 9:00 p.m we found the maid had not cleaned the room. I went to the front desk to let them know. The clerk said, "Well, you were in the room late and once the maid passes your room she doesn't come back." What??? I have never heard of such a policy. He then told me that if I didn't like that I could call the owner tomorrow, but the owner wasn't going to do anything about it, that was his policy. At the very least the hotel should at least tell you when you check in that if you aren't out of the room when the maid is on your floor your room isn't going to be cleaned.

#2) The next day I checked my American Express bill as matter of routine. I saw a charge on Sept. 20 for $469 from the Best Western Greentree. Since I had stayed there on the 19th I assumed this was for that stay and it was way too much. I inquired at the front desk - different clerk. This clerk told me that when the hotel is sold out they charge the full amount of your stay one week before check because there are no refunds. The good news- I wasn't overcharged for my stay of the 19th - the $469 charge was for the stay of the 26-30 a week in advance. Again the clerk said that is the owner's policy. OK, I do understand the no cancellation clause - but to charge a week in advance seems a bit excessive.

#3) Breakfast is lousy. Really. Even by cheap hotel complimentary breakfast standards. Not even Costco food.

#4) parking space are tiny. Unless you own a Mini Cooper expect door dings.

#5) 3 floors - no elevator. After two days of moving into a 5th floor apartment an elevator would have been appreciated.

#6) No laundry - OK, my fault the website doesn't say they have a laundry but what Best Western doesn't? That is one of the reasons we stay there.

The only thing this hotel has going for it is that it is across the street from the U of O. I made the mistake of not checking Trip Adviser before booking this hotel. Mainly because we have never had a bad Best Western until now. Bottom line - if you need a place to sleep for one night you might risk it. But if anything goes wrong management will not be responsive (read the other reviews). The hotel is getting by just because of its location and the Best Western brand.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Margaretes
Castro Valley
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

We stayed here during UofO Welcome Week. . The location is very convenient and the staff is friendly and helpful. Beyond that, it's not a hotel I would recommend. Rooms are ok, fairly clean but outdated. The carpets in the hall and the room really need to be replaced. Our non-smoking room reeks of smoke when you first walk in. Not much of a selection for breakfast. If it's the only place available, as in my case, it's ok, but next time I'll stay elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank CRQ27
Anchorage, Alaska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

Living in Anchorage we very often have to red eye it to Eugene to get our son to school. The font desk person was so sweet to call us when a room was ready. We felt lucky to get a room here on a football weekend! Room was clean, staff was very polite and friendly and even the Tennessee Fans (losers) were nice. Thanks best western!

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family