“Wonderful folks doing wonderful work with wonderful birds”

Cascades Raptor Center
Ranked #1 of 94 things to do in Eugene
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Nestled on a wooded hillside in south Eugene, this nature center and wildlife hospital specializes in birds of prey. Some 50 resident birds of 30 native species are on display, including owls, falcons, hawks, to bald and golden eagles. Open Tues-Sun and some major Mon holidays.
Reviewed April 20, 2013

I couldn't be prouder to have this outfit in our town. I bring nearly every out-of-town guest to come visit. Louise et al do an amazing job helping birds and the environment, and educating the community. This place just DRIPS with good juju!

All reviews
in 11 reviews
"well worth the visit"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed April 11, 2013

We hadn't planned on visiting here but we finished up early with our other activities and decided to check it out. I didn't have much interest since I've been at similar places and the animals are usually hiding. I was completely surprised that we could clearly see all of the animals except the white owl.

The raptors are all animals that can't live in the wild anymore. They are used to humans and so they don't feel the need to hide. Also the owls are awake during the day. It is amazing to be able to be so close to a great horned owl that you can see it's eyelids when it blinks. It was just amazing to be able to see up close bald eagles, several types of owls, a raven and vultures. The kestrel near the visitor center was adorable as were the burrowing owls.
If I'm every back in Eugene I will make sure we stop here again!!!

Reviewed April 10, 2013

If you want to see beautiful birds, this is a great place to visit. They are doing fabulous work on what I assume is a tiny budget. It was extremely interesting, and I was happy to support their work. However, don't expect a real zoo experience--the atmosphere can only be summed up as very Eugene.

1  Thank orlavaguy
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Up close and personal with a variety of raptors. Enclosures make it easy to see each one and read about them. Not easy to take pictures through the wires but possible if they are with a handler outside the cage. Shaded hilly area spreading across the property. Lots of volunteers available for questions. Uneven grounds, no wheelchair access and difficult for anyone with balance problems as there are no rails along the paths. Would have liked to see the life span of each raptors along with it's story. A definate enjoyable learning experience for well behaived children.

3  Thank Rebekajean