“Up close and personal!”

Cascades Raptor Center
Ranked #3 of 96 things to do in Eugene
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Nestled on a wooded hillside in south Eugene, this nature center and wildlife hospital specializes in birds of prey. Some 50 resident birds of 30 native species are on display, including owls, falcons, hawks, to bald and golden eagles. Open Tues-Sun and some major Mon holidays.
Reviewed October 19, 2012

It will take you about an hour or so to stroll through this well maintained raptor sanctuary. Each bird has his or her name and bio posted so that you can get to know them and their stories. It's a little tough getting good photos through the screen enclosures (you can hardly call them cages since they're so big and roomy for the birds) but with a little crafty camera work up against the screens photos are possible. I was surprised to see how large bald eagles really are and how tiny an owl can be. It is worth the cost of admission to know you are helping these amazing creatures.

2  Thank Toni_McGo
in 8 reviews
"well worth the visit"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed October 7, 2012

They are taking such great care of these beautiful birds. Went to a lecture on a Sunday and loved everything about it. The handlers answered all of our questions and also those of the kids. Fun walking around looking at all the birds. They are really something. Well worth going and supporting.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

Birds from all over on a butte side in the trees. Well worth the time to visit. Not far from downtown Eugene.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

I wish I would have read the Aug. 27th review from Skates 79! I am sure the Raptor Center is beautiful and they do great things for the rescued birds. However, I was soooo disappointed when we arrived. It is in no way wheelchair accessible (or accessible if you have any balance/mobility issues). The parking lot is on at the bottom of a hill--to get to the visitor's center, you have to push up a big hill. Once you get up to the big hill there are stairs to get into the center (so it is not wheelchair accessible as Skates 79 stated). From there, you could wheel over on a some-what flat area to see some of the birds. But, to see the bald eagles, etc., you must push up a really steep hill that is covered in about 1/4"-1/2" gravel (no traction). I consider myself athletic and have a lot of strength, but it was very difficult to get up the hills- so we (both of us are in wheelchairs) ended up leaving without getting to enjoy the Raptor Center.

I have to say, the staff were nice enough and did not charge us while we roamed around to figure out if we could push up the hills. if you had someone with you to push you up the hills, or at least to stand behind you in case you were to roll backwards or someone to help pick you up off of the gravel if you flipped backwards, it's probably doable. I just really wish information had been on the website about the inaccessibility and we would not have driven over an hour to go...If I ever come into a lot of money, I will donate money to the Raptor Center just for accessibility so that all can enjoy it.

1  Thank ikezza77