“An Amazing Older Motel”

Ranked #8 of 35 Hotels in Eugene
Ashland, Oregon
“An Amazing Older Motel”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Timbers was a great find: close to everything and a great price. Even though it is an older motel, the owners have upgraded the bathrooms. The rooms have beautiful hardwood floors. The shower was wonderful...great pressure and steady temperature. The outdoors is beautifully landscaped. The beds were comfortable, and it was quiet at night. The tariff was half the price of the nearby Hilton, and we were able to walk to a nice restaurant. There were many to choose from. We walked to the Amtrak station the next morning to board our train.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank LindaMG

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Acton, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We spent 3 nights at this comfy older motel and were delighted with our experience there. Great friendly staff who made an effort to be helpful in every possible way. Nice plantings break up the monotony of the parking area. Clean, high ceilinged room (second floor) was quiet and removed from the street traffic. Large, comfortable bed. A somewhat strange bathroom layout but functional nevertheless. Although "breakfast" was offered, it was pretty minimal but good coffee shops are nearby. We'll be happy to stay at the Timbers when we return to Eugene.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms have a high ceiling and are probably quieter (above the parking lot and street).
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SamL29
Graton, CA
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Staying only one night in Eugene to accompany my daughter on her tour of the nearby University, this older motel was just what I was looking for. It's located downtown and a reasonable walk from both the University campus and the train station (the Greyhound Bus Station is right across the road) in a neighborhood with plenty of restaurants and pubs. The room, paneled in era-specific knotty pine and indirectly lit, was fun to stay in because it's exactly like the kind of motel rooms my parents used to pick back in the Family Vacation days --- clean, quite big enough, and with all the amenities one could ask for such as a coffee machine, iron & ironing board, cable TV, etc. Good shower, too, with a nice big new showerhead. The bed was comfy, but I wish I'd kept the soft ear plugs I'd worn on the overnight train because the usual Friday night partygoers, whooping it up even as they retired to their rooms, woke me more than once when they came blundering by. Still, if I return to Eugene this is where I'll stay.

Room Tip: Make your reservation directly with the Motel, not through an agency.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank MojoLad
Roseburg, Oregon
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I stayed here once in the mid 90s, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that the hotel is still well maintained in 2013. Clean linens, a new mattress (super firm--liked it more than those at the Hilton), and newer retro furnishings make the room really nice. Flat-screen TV. Love the vaulted ceilings in the second-floor rooms.

The bedspread and curtains are tired and worn; both need replaced, but the room is super-clean. This is such an inexpensive, centrally located choice in downtown Eugene. My partner and I occasionally spend the night in town, as it's halfway between our homes . . . the Timbers is going on our shortlist of hotel options.

Checkout is a strict 11:00 am, and that's the only downside . . . but for no-frills, secure, quiet rooms in town, it has the best price-to-quality ratio.

Room Tip: Get a second-floor room for the vaulted ceilings!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Spokane
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I stayed here often during the 1970's early '80's and a week ago after twenty years. The room was as clean as I remembered it; prices very reasonable; the beds comfortable; the cleaning service excellent (I left a tip). My friend and I stayed three nights on business. You can hoof it everywhere in Eugene from the site, including shopping and many restaurants/pubs, with the U of O about a 15 minutes brisk walk away. Best pizza I've tasted outside of NYC is half a block, where they actually use cornmeal to keep the crust thin without getting soggy! Only thing I would recommend if you're noise sensitive or a light sleeper is try to get a room facing the center since there's a little activity in the AM near the back. Certainly not noisy enough to be a deal breaker, and we slept like babies in a downstairs room looking at the bank. The TV cannot be turned up past a certain volume so you neither disturb, or are disturbed by neighbors. Next trip will be pleasure and my wife and I will stay here since you can also drive to the coast in an hour. One of my all-time favorite motels, with the caveat that I don't need pampering, saunas, gyms and room service. If you look for that, you'd rate this a 4 and be pleasantly surprised. Since I don't, it has my highest rating.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank SteveSpokane
Rome, Italy
Reviewed April 15, 2013

It is a very nice motel; clean, confortable and cheap. My room was big, cozy and with a good light. Staff is gentle and helpfully. Near to Timber you can find a lot of places to eat or drink something, some shops; the bus station is really near too.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Nora187791
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed April 12, 2013

The Timbers is great - good location, great prices, easy walking distance to good restaurants. The place to stay in Eugene! Kind of a funky, fifties-feeling; hardwood floors, pine ceilings, a Eugene-esque vibe.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple