“July 2012”

Ranked #9 of 35 Hotels in Eugene
Eugene, Oregon, United States
“July 2012”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I have been staying at the Timbers Motel in downtown Eugene Oregon off and on since 2008. Why am I a return guest? Let me start with the lovely flowers that decorate the outside. Upon check-in, I found the staff is friendly, quick, very knowledgeable about local eateries and entertainment and more than willing to answer my questions about the comings and goings of Eugene. The rooms are spacious, very clean, the beds are most comfortable and I totally love the pillows. A rarity in motels. The decor, featuring all that lovely wood inside and out, make the room feel cozy. Situated smack in the middle of downtown Eugene, the Timbers is easy walking distance to the University of Oregon, the Hult Center, Haywood field and the area's transit system has a station accross the street. I have no desire or need to stay in any other motel in Eugene than the Timbers. Thanks, guys!

Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank James M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Coquille, Oregon
Reviewed July 14, 2012

I have mixed emotions about doing this review! While I feel compelled to let others know about this wonderful place, I think I may be contributing to the possibility of a rising room rate, or the facility becoming victim to its own popularity - oh, WTH!

We recently spent 4 days in Eugene for the Bach Festival, and because The Timbers is positioned perfectly between all the possible venues of the OBF, we choose to stay here - a simply wonderful experience! Everywhere you looked, you noticed evidence of attention and care that apparently pervades the attitude of the owners and the staff. Our room couldn't have been any cleaner, and had undergone an obvious recent renovation and had a huge Samsung flat screen TV neatly positioned in the corner of an otherwise small room.

My only negative -and it's a mild one- was that the bed was either not a standard size queen (which we sleep on at home) or it was the only part of the room which had not recently been upgraded - it had an annoying sag to the middle. However, even so, it was still comfortable.

The Timbers is a great example of a property being kept well, regardless of its age. I think, considering its location and the obvious value of the property for other uses, it's even more amazing that it continues to function in its traditional mode and at a modest price - and does so in a pristine condition.

Room Tip: Take care on the real ceramic tile floor of the bathroom, it can get slippery when wet - might want...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank drfugawe
Reviewed July 13, 2012 via mobile

Called to make a reservation. Clerk at hotel was not pleasant. When stating that I'd have to consult with spouse about taking a smoking room he simply hung up. No thank you for calling, no good bye, simply hung up.

Stayed July 2012
1 Thank WindingRoadie
timberseugene, Manager at Timbers Motel, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Sorry, I thought I heard in the background "NO Thanks" This is why I hanged up. I know people are frustrated when it is hard to find a Motel room on a busy weekend. We would never knowingly hang up on a Guest.
Reviewed July 9, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here based on the reviews I read. This place is a joke. Yes it's a cool looking through back kind of place. But there are signs everywhere telling you not to leave anything in you car (that doesn't make you feel safe) At check in, i was treated as if i had interupted the clerks day by showing up. Internet was slow when you could get it. We stayed in July and the AC unit couldn't keep the room temp at a comfortable level. So after a not very comfortable night sleep, I started to make coffe. Behind the coffee maker a previous guest had left used plastic toothpicks and floss. And when I opened the coffee maker it still had water and who knows what else in it from who knows when. For close to $100 a night I'm sure you can find much better places.....we won't be back.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Mark D
Sorry, we have retrained the Maids to do a better job at cleaning.
Seattle
Reviewed July 4, 2012

My second road trip of 2012 was a quick run down to Northern California and Highway 101 over the Fourth of July weekend. Since we were doing a speed run from Seattle on the Tuesday after work, I wasn’t really looking for a swank deluxe motel. In fact the plan was drive until the sun went down and then stop at the first motel we came across. That means it's time to play Pick A Motel Name Out of the Hat! Don Pardo, lets see what he's won!

The Timbers Motel appears to be in the downtown of Eugene Oregon. I'm not very familiar with the area, but it looks reasonably metropolitan to me. Mind you, I arrived at ten at night and didn’t get a chance to look around much. But there were plenty of Starbucks, McDonalds and Wendys on the way into town to sate whatever cravings your hunger inflicts upon you.

Being located downtown, you're probably thinking "Oh god! It must be noisy!" Not really - there was just a moderate rumble of traffic (nothing a city dweller cant deal with) and not much noisy foot traffic that I could tell. The walls, on the other hand were paper thin (that or my neighbors were REALLY loud until 2 in the morning) so if you're a light sleeper or if your staying on a party heavy weekend like I was (I stayed on the 3rd of July), you might have issues. And to be fair, the Night Clerk was pretty quick on the draw when I asked her to tell the morons to quiet down.

And I'm pleased to report that there were no rail yards just out back of the motel. It always seems that I have the worst luck with midnight trains and motels. Not so here - there is a rail line about 6 blocks away, so you can JUST hear a train passing, but they seemed to stop about one or two in the morning. There is a Greyhound station nearby - good because of the easy access to transportation, but there always seems to be a certain element that hangs out nearby. Wait - check that. That sentence makes it sound like the neighborhood is rundown, which isn’t the case.

So, how are the rooms? Big! I mean really big! There's plenty of space in the closet-nook, there's plenty of room to maneuver around the two king sized beds - plus at least enough room for another rollaway bed. The floor is a nice hard wood (and knotty pine ceilings! Sweet!), the walls seem to have been painted recently, there's a hair dryer, iron, ironing board, microwave and fridge in the room and a really freakin' big plasma television. If there's a downside, there doesn’t seem to be much in the way of power outlets - at least that I found. And the free internet connection was nice and strong, with several routers scattered about the motel for good signal. Take notes, Motel 6 - that’s how you do internet connectivity!

That's nice - what about the bed? For starters, the pillows are MASSIVE! I always need loads and loads pillows, but here I could get away with just one. The beds are firm with just the right amount of give. The linen seemed clean and free of stains (hey- these things are not always a given!).

The toilet/shower room is spacious and the sink area has lots of real estate. While I didn’t take a shower, my traveling companion reports that the water pressure is good and strong. The toilets seem a touch on the small side, but I'm a big fella, so this just might be a scale thing - although the toilet paper is a touch rough. Speaking of water, there doesn’t appear to be a pool - but since I was just sleeping and moving on, this was not a big deal.

So - what's the damage to my wallet? Pretty competitive for roadside motels - the final damage for two adults for one night on a Tuesday evening was 87 and change. That's easily what I would have spent at Motel Six and I always prefer putting my coin in the pocket of the little mom 'n pop places instead of the big faceless chains.

The bottom line? I'd probably rank the motel three and a half stars, mostly for the thin walls and potential for too much noise - but I'll be generous and round up to four because that aside, it's a pretty nice place. I would probably stay at the Timbers Motel again next time I'm in Eugene - but with my finger on the night desk speed dial. That or bring earplugs.

Room Tip: Make sure you're not near rowdy neighbors!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Tardis-Geek
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed June 26, 2012

I stayed in this motel decades ago and revisited it on a recent trip. It's still just as nice as I remembered it with all the charm of older places. The rooms are small by today's standards but have everything anyone could need. The room was scrupulously clean, the bed was comfortable and the knotty pine ceilings were charming. Staff if friendly and helpful and welcomed our small pet (caged bird) with no additional charge. Even though the motel is near downtown, the room was quiet. Rooms have air conditioning, small fridge and microwave. Coffee is provided in the room. I would highly recommend the Timbers to fellow travelers. If you want a Holiday Inn, this place is not for you, but if you want a homey room that's comfortable and close to places and events in Eugene, then make your reservation now!

Room Tip: We had a room on the back side of the motel and it was very quiet and parking available right outsid...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PEG O
Crater Lake National Park, Oregon
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Check in staff was amazing (young man with piercing brown eyes.) WIFI works. It's next to the bus station so there's noise....I knew that when I checked in. Super convenient location, and the front desk was spot on with directions to a great sushi restaurant. Price is right...what more could I want? Oh yeah, at 2 AM when I needed smokes, the late night office girl Ana gave me precise directions to the Circle K, which I was able to follow. Thanks, Ana.

Room Tip: It is what it is. If you are here, you aren't here for the hotel!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends