“Attention to detail and beautiful gardens”
Review of C'est La Vie Inn

C'est La Vie Inn
Ranked #2 of 17 Eugene B&B and Inns
New York City
“Attention to detail and beautiful gardens”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Pulling into the neighborhood my daughter and I wondered how could a $300/night hotel be in this neighborhood. Not that it wasn't nice but just that it was rather pedestrian. We even drove past the Inn and had to turn around because we were expecting a more grand entrance.

The house is a lovely Victorian impeccably painted in lavender, pink, light purple. Perhaps the most spectacular feature of the property is the garden. Jack's passion in life is the garden and I've never seen one quite so spectacular. He has every imaginable type of plant, tree, flower and they are a symphony of color and texture.

While the lobby and sitting area are small everything in the house is well appointed and in keeping with art deco theme of the Inn. Our room is worth the $300/night. It's very large with a lovely separate sitting area. The quality of the wooden floors, wall paper, wooden moldings and wainscoting is exceptional. Little things like thick, expensive, art deco light switch moldings and incredibly carved glass windows render the Inn interesting, sumptuous and beautiful.

Around the bathtub is nice black marble and the bathroom itself is classy and richly appointed. Even the cabinentry of the mini kitchen in the room feels expensive and is of high quality. Our room had HD TV, a brand new printer, wifi (that didn't work too well), microwave, refrigerator, lovely coffee maker. In other words, the owners have gone out of their way to produce a B&B of exceptionally high quality with extra special details--the gardens and beauty of the decor.

The breakfast in the morning was prepared by a lovely French lady who is also the owner. It was exquisite with high quality sausage, fruit and some special type of french omelette. The coffee was also special.

You're not going to get 24 hour service--it is a B&B but it is absolutely lovely and we'd return whenever we're in Eugene.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
lattexpress, Owner at C'est La Vie Inn, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
After reading our guest's comment about her disappointing Wi-Fi experience, we performed diagnostics and uncovered a failing wireless repeater within our network configuration. We deemed that this sort of intermittent outage was unacceptable to us.

As a result, we are now replacing the wireless repeaters with a hardwired link between the carriage house and the main house via an underground conduit. In about two weeks, we will have a more robust, reliable high speed Wi-Fi service for our guests.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
New Jersey
Reviewed July 9, 2012

My eight-day stay felt considerably shorter than that in this lovely B&B. The innkeepers, Anne Marie and Jack, greeted me by saying "Welcome to our home." And it felt a lot more like a home stay than a hotel stay, thanks to their hospitality and helpfulness.

It's a well appointed Victorian home, with just four guest rooms. There is a beautiful garden (more so than even the great photos imply). It's about 2 miles from downtown Eugene -- a bit far for walking distance, so the quiet neighborhood and ease of parking at the Inn (on-street but ample space) is offset somewhat by the difficulty of having to find parking when I went downtown.

I stayed in the "Matisse" room. The pictures on the website reflect reality, with one pleasant surprise -- the room "felt" bigger than the photos imply (a real rarity). There was good natural light and the linens, pillows, and mattress are comfortable. WiFi connectivity is free but sometimes choppy and slow if you're running a bandwidth-heavy application.

Breakfast was always tasty, and the size was right for me. There was great creativity and variety in the menu over my 8-day stay, another reason it felt shorter than that. After that, coffee (a brewed pot, or single-serve K-Cups), fresh fruit, bottled water, and port wine are available for guests 24/7.

The communal breakfast table made for entertaining morning conversations, and Jack (innkeeper) sat in for them every morning, chatting and answering questions. He's a walking encyclopedia of local lore, including restaurants and the region's vineyards.

All in all, I had a really pleasant stay, and I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: The Matisse room gets sunlight early (a heads-up for light sleepers).
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank JMfromNJ
Houston, Texas
Reviewed June 29, 2012

My husband and I enjoyed staying in this old house. I especially enjoyed sitting in the gardens and drinking my coffee.

Room Tip: If you like beautiful gardens - this is the place for you!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 27, 2012

We found the Inn to be charming, very clean & while filled with antiques, not lacking
any modern amenities. I loved the deep, old fashioned bathtub in our room - perfect for soaking. The Inn was a quiet & and relaxing place to stay. The breakfast was
served in a room that felt like it was a theater set from a Victorian play. It was elegant &
the food was delicious. Some in our party are extremely fussy eaters - vegetarian & very
health conscious - and the cook was accommodating. Little touches such as snacks (lovely
fresh fruit, cookies) good quality teas & coffee and water bottles were available at any time and appreciated. So was the night light in the bathroom.The host, Jack, was welcoming and eager to respond to questions about the Inn. The grounds were lovely. Overall, it was a delightful place to stay and I would recommend to anyone who wants a peaceful getaway in Eugene.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 12, 2012

The location happened to be great for us, nestled in a little neighborhood off a main road. The owners were very knowledgeable and very willing to answer any questions we had. Regarding breakfast in the morning, I felt that there was "just enough" food. Not too little, not too much. The quality was excellent. I especially liked the savory breakfast. Make sure you stay two nights so that you get the savory and the sweet breakfast, which they alternate.

The rooms are gorgeous. We stayed in the Matisse, which had a claw foot tub. You do have to be somewhat careful, as the rooms are furnished with antique furniture. It takes a little more effort to stay at a place like this than your average hotel, but it is worth it. The atmosphere and ambiance is what makes this place so great. My only complaint about the rooms is that the walls and doors are paper thin. You can hear everything in the other rooms.

Parking is on the street, but it felt safe enough. We were asked what time we would like breakfast. We said 8:30, and arrived on time both mornings, but breakfast was never ready until closer to 9, and the owner's wife seemed surprised that we were down that early. Not a big deal, but why ask if you are not going to have it ready on time? They did have fruit set out, but the main hot dish didn't come out until later. Maybe they did this because everyone else wanted breakfast later, and they wanted it to be hot and fresh for the others. Again, not a huge deal, but if you have a stricter schedule than we did, make sure to let them know.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
lattexpress, Owner at C'est La Vie Inn, responded to this review, June 16, 2012
Actually the interior walls were given fiber glass insulation to reduce sounds from adjacent rooms. To our chagrin, it proved to be no match against the exuberant fans who were watching a high definition broadcast of the NBA playoffs.

For that morning in question, we had just learned that another guest had a previously undisclosed food allergy, As a result, we had to remake the main dish.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you had experienced during your stay. As you had earlier pointed out, we do try to maintain the atmosphere and ambiance that makes our inn an exceptional place.
San Francisco
Reviewed June 10, 2012

If I were to rate this B&B just on the breakfast I would only give it a very average review.
The portions were small and the food rather tasteless. I am not a big eater and I walked away hungry. Also, the chocolates in the room were never replenished after the first night of a three night stay. A little touch but it would have been nice. I rate it very good because the property is well maintained, it is clean and the bed was comfortable. The decor is very kitsch but I can live with that since it is a matter of personal taste. The only other thing that bothered me was the bathrobes provided in the rooms were made out of polyester rather than having any cotton. Perhaps I have been spoiled by some of the other places I have stayed at recently that were outstanding!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
lattexpress, Owner at C'est La Vie Inn, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
Our guest had self-imposed dietary restrictions of gluten and dairy intolerance. On that particular morning we had served a delectable hot meal, strawberry clafoutis for our other guests in addition to a simpler fare, albeit it was not as tasty. In the future we will try to prepare more flavorful dishes that are both gluten and dairy free.

Incidentally, we had also invited her daughter who was a vegan, to join us for breakfast as our guest. When leaving, she was gracious enough to remark "Thank you for taking good care of my parents while they stayed at your B&B."

We also instructed our indefatigable housekeeper to leave more premium chocolate squares for our extended stay guests.
Fullerton, California
Reviewed June 6, 2012

We were quite comfortable in the "Matisse" room upstairs, the bed is very comfortable and the room well appointed. The house is a mix of true Victorian and fantasy, there are lots of fun little places in the house to enjoy, such as a tiny upstairs patio that is perfect for two to have coffee (just outside the business center). I can't resist a clawfoot tub, and it was just wonderful on a rainy evening. In fact I can only fault three things and they are not severe: first there is a fanlight above the room door so lights in the hall may disturb total-dark sleepers; the breakfast was of the fussy and non-substantial type (I am a breakfast traditionalist) and there are rather allot of fake "Paris" items about the house, but over-all the homes almost Disney campiness is quite fun. The host is a talker, but seldom requires any response. Best of all the neighborhood while a tad down at heels is genuine and very nice to walk in.

Room Tip: It is a quite neighborhood after ten so any room should be fine.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple