“Beautiful place”

Ranked #2 of 17 Eugene B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Beautiful place”
Reviewed June 12, 2012

The location happened to be great for us, nestled in a little neighborhood off a main road. The owners were very knowledgeable and very willing to answer any questions we had. Regarding breakfast in the morning, I felt that there was "just enough" food. Not too little, not too much. The quality was excellent. I especially liked the savory breakfast. Make sure you stay two nights so that you get the savory and the sweet breakfast, which they alternate.

The rooms are gorgeous. We stayed in the Matisse, which had a claw foot tub. You do have to be somewhat careful, as the rooms are furnished with antique furniture. It takes a little more effort to stay at a place like this than your average hotel, but it is worth it. The atmosphere and ambiance is what makes this place so great. My only complaint about the rooms is that the walls and doors are paper thin. You can hear everything in the other rooms.

Parking is on the street, but it felt safe enough. We were asked what time we would like breakfast. We said 8:30, and arrived on time both mornings, but breakfast was never ready until closer to 9, and the owner's wife seemed surprised that we were down that early. Not a big deal, but why ask if you are not going to have it ready on time? They did have fruit set out, but the main hot dish didn't come out until later. Maybe they did this because everyone else wanted breakfast later, and they wanted it to be hot and fresh for the others. Again, not a huge deal, but if you have a stricter schedule than we did, make sure to let them know.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
lattexpress, Owner at C'est La Vie Inn, responded to this review, June 16, 2012
Actually the interior walls were given fiber glass insulation to reduce sounds from adjacent rooms. To our chagrin, it proved to be no match against the exuberant fans who were watching a high definition broadcast of the NBA playoffs.

For that morning in question, we had just learned that another guest had a previously undisclosed food allergy, As a result, we had to remake the main dish.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you had experienced during your stay. As you had earlier pointed out, we do try to maintain the atmosphere and ambiance that makes our inn an exceptional place.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
San Francisco
Reviewed June 10, 2012

If I were to rate this B&B just on the breakfast I would only give it a very average review.
The portions were small and the food rather tasteless. I am not a big eater and I walked away hungry. Also, the chocolates in the room were never replenished after the first night of a three night stay. A little touch but it would have been nice. I rate it very good because the property is well maintained, it is clean and the bed was comfortable. The decor is very kitsch but I can live with that since it is a matter of personal taste. The only other thing that bothered me was the bathrobes provided in the rooms were made out of polyester rather than having any cotton. Perhaps I have been spoiled by some of the other places I have stayed at recently that were outstanding!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
lattexpress, Owner at C'est La Vie Inn, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
Our guest had self-imposed dietary restrictions of gluten and dairy intolerance. On that particular morning we had served a delectable hot meal, strawberry clafoutis for our other guests in addition to a simpler fare, albeit it was not as tasty. In the future we will try to prepare more flavorful dishes that are both gluten and dairy free.

Incidentally, we had also invited her daughter who was a vegan, to join us for breakfast as our guest. When leaving, she was gracious enough to remark "Thank you for taking good care of my parents while they stayed at your B&B."

We also instructed our indefatigable housekeeper to leave more premium chocolate squares for our extended stay guests.
Fullerton, California
Reviewed June 6, 2012

We were quite comfortable in the "Matisse" room upstairs, the bed is very comfortable and the room well appointed. The house is a mix of true Victorian and fantasy, there are lots of fun little places in the house to enjoy, such as a tiny upstairs patio that is perfect for two to have coffee (just outside the business center). I can't resist a clawfoot tub, and it was just wonderful on a rainy evening. In fact I can only fault three things and they are not severe: first there is a fanlight above the room door so lights in the hall may disturb total-dark sleepers; the breakfast was of the fussy and non-substantial type (I am a breakfast traditionalist) and there are rather allot of fake "Paris" items about the house, but over-all the homes almost Disney campiness is quite fun. The host is a talker, but seldom requires any response. Best of all the neighborhood while a tad down at heels is genuine and very nice to walk in.

Room Tip: It is a quite neighborhood after ten so any room should be fine.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Buderim, Australia
Reviewed May 25, 2012

We stayed for two nights at C'est La Vie, in May 2012. Jack was our host and a delightful man with a wonderful sense of humor, he always had a story to tell. It was lovely to meet someone so passionate about his home and garden. The rooms are beautifully decorated and extremely comfortable. The breakfast was certainly a little different, maybe it is the "French Thing". My husband and I were visiting from Australia along with a friend from Nevada who was there on a business trip. We wouldn't hesitate in staying at CLV again if we ever returned to Eugene.
Thank you Jack for your wonderful hospitality, I wish you well. Kate Dillon, Buderim, Queensland.

Room Tip: all rooms are very good, some larger than others
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank KateD1104
San Diego, California
Reviewed May 20, 2012

I have stayed in a lot of B&Bs around the country and just spent a delightful six nights at C'est La Vie, a wonderful bed and breakfast in a residential area within walking distance of downtown Eugene and its nice shops and Saturday Market. It was my first stay in this "not so Victorian B&B," which is a beautifully restored residence featuring different full breakfasts every day. The gardens, lovingly tended by Jack, are exquisite and of course it was the perfect time of year to see them. My room, the Matisse, featured a comfortable queen bed, a small flat-panel TV, a roomy en suite bath with claw foot tub, and temperature control. I slept incredibly well! Owner Anne Marie was in Paris but Jack joined us for breakfast each day, prepared to talk about the house, the restored antiques, the gardens or what to see in Eugene. It was a wonderful stay and I'll be back!

Room Tip: All rooms have en suite baths. The most private room is above the garage -- the Casablanca. It ove...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank JulieMeierWright
San Diego, California
Reviewed April 24, 2012

We enjoyed one night at CLV on a recent visit to Eugene. As others have stated, this is a beautiful property that is well maintained. Our room was nice decorated and comfortable. The pantry was a nice touch with beverages and fresh cookies. Jack was a delightful host. The breakfast was just ok, not what I expected from such an elegant B&B. Despite this, I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AWN
portland, oregon
Reviewed April 24, 2012

My husband and I greatly appreciated the hospitality at C'est La Vie in Eugene! Jack was a gracious host; even waiting up for us as we got into town so very late. What a nice thing to see your host, standing on the porch awaiting our arrival and helping us in the door and showing us around.

The linens were heavenly. The house was relaxing and quiet; i only wish we had been able to visit a little bit longer. Next time, for sure!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business