New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Downtown Inn

Downtown Inn
Ranked #10 of 34 Hotels in Eugene
Coos Bay, Oregon
“Handy to the Hult in Eugene OR”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

This motel, with clean and well furnished rooms, is but 2-3 blocks from the Hult Center in Eugene, with its concerts and other events. A senior rate night for 2 double beds Feb '12 was $66, taxes and all. While not luxury nor resort, the truly downtown location is great for an inexpensive night when we drive to Eugene for Hult events.

Room Tip: One story horseshoe around the parking area, so all rooms about same. We enjoyed having a bathtub in...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank cooskid_11
Henry P, Manager at Downtown Inn, responded to this review, June 9, 2015
Thank you for your great review of our hotel. We are glad you enjoyed your stay here with us. We strive every day to make sure all our guests experience the best in hospitality. By sharing your experience with us, you are helping us deliver the best in customer care. From all of us here at Downtown Inn, we would like to thank you for your business. We look forward to having you as our guest again, take care! Safe travels!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Davis, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

Exterior is not encouraging, but room was very good - a cut above average, but couldn't really rate it as "very good" although it is a good value Very clean, good hot shower, big fluffy towels (Willamette Valley has soft water), solid mattress and confortable pillow, so-so breakfast bar (coffee, cereal, some fruit). Excellent location for moving about downtown Eugene. Frig, microwave, hairdryer.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank BarbDavis_CA
Henry P, Manager at Downtown Inn, responded to this review, June 9, 2015
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

I will say this, this motel offers a refrigerator & microwave. I stayed in a 4 star hotel that didn't offer those items. It's a cute, very old fashioned motel. Rooms are large and I giggled at the cute little built in heater in the bathroom. The shower is like a small tiled closet and just made me feel like I stepped back into time. Mattresses are hard as a rock though and my room needed to be renovated as I could see plaster patches and water damage in the bathroom. Continental breakfast is a bit of a joke. Two types of cereal, orange drink, terrible tasting packaged muffins, coffee, basic tea and fruit. Not much to it. All-in-all not a bad experience, just not my usual comfort.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
5 Thank kalenacole
Henry P, Manager at Downtown Inn, responded to this review, June 30, 2015
Thank you for the feedback. We are happy you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you again in the future. From everyone here at Downtown Inn we would like to extend our sincere gratitude for your business and wish you safe travels!!
Medford, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

My wife and I stayed here after booking the room on Orbitz. We had never stayed in Eugene before and therefore had no "go to" place. We took a chance and it worked out very well. The motel is pretty old, which means rather large rooms and our room had been freshly remodeled. I thought it cute that we had an old fashioned key instead of the usual credit card type key. We had a large bathroom with a tub, refrigerator, and microwave. Being a rural kind of guy, I had some anxiety about staying right downtown. It was well lighted and there are security cameras around. The only downside was there are 28 units in the front section and only 17 parking places. Someone potentially has to park somewhere else. That aside, I'll be back next time I need a room in Eugene.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank slider05
Henry P, Manager at Downtown Inn, responded to this review, June 30, 2015
Thank you for the feedback. We are happy you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you again in the future. From everyone here at Downtown Inn we would like to extend our sincere gratitude for your business.
Olalla, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2010

Spent one night in Eugene's Downtown Motel in September. Had researched several Motels close to the train depot on the net, and this one sounded like the best.
I made my reservations on line, and upon arrival we found the Downtown Motel was just as advertised. Had all of the things I find important in a Motel. Good managers, logged us in quickly and efficiently, The room was clean with no odd smells (we had reserved a no smoking room with a single king sized bed.) Bed and bathroom linens were clean and bright, Bathroom and tub were clean, with lot's of hot water. We had a good nights sleep, with only minimal noise form the street. Before check out we tried the Breakfast, found cold Cereal with milk, bananas, coffee(bad!), muffins, and a news paper to read. The price was as listed. Only a seven block walk back to the Depot. We will stay here again.
As an aside, this Motel along with several others in this area, subscribed to a service called Pony Express. Placed upon the table in our room were several menu's from different cafe's in the area. You could make your meal selection from the menu, call Pony Express, and for a flat charge of $4.50 they will go to the restaurant/cafe, place your order and deliver it to your room. Such a deal! Wished others did the same.

Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank oldfolkshere
Henry P, Manager at Downtown Inn, responded to this review, November 9, 2015
Tampa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2010

This is my second time staying here from Florida.
I booked for 2 weeks this time ($450) because my housing in
Eugene fell through and my flight doesn't leave till then.
They remembered me & waved the deposit because they said
I was "clean". :)

I had a minor issue with the toilet in one of the remodeled rooms in the front,
they quickly fixed it the next morning. I noticed they had smoking rooms,
and they prompty told me when the next one was available.
It was one of the older type rooms (smaller TV & older furnishings), BUT it had a bigger bathroom & a nice sized TUB, which I prefer to just a shower.
All the appliances worked, the heater heats up the room fast.
Being a lone female, security is important...The lighting is very bright on the outside.
Lots of homeless walking around Eugene, not necessarily violent folk, but if you want
an extra level of security, ask for a room in the front, or by the main office.
FREE WIFI is a HUGE PLUS.
It's close proximity to cool downtown Eugene also hurts the sound levels a bit,
you can hear every car going by. I always wear earplugs when I sleep so
it didn't bother me.
The bed's are comfy, not hard, room is bigger than expected.
I stayed in lots of motels in Florida at a similar price point, and this place
puts them to shame.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank CEBallas
Henry P, Manager at Downtown Inn, responded to this review, November 9, 2015
ca
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2009

Made a reservation on Orbitz and called the motel directly(BIG MISTAKE) to change the reservation for two days later. I was told that it was no problem but when I showed up, they had no rooms and charged my credit card any way. NOT TO BE TRUSTED! STill fighting with my credit card company. Stay away, many more honest motel owners in Eugene.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business