“Hey, what happened to my quail?”
Review of King Estate Winery

King Estate Winery
Ranked #11 of 96 things to do in Eugene
More attraction details
Owner description: King Estate Winery is a family owned Biodynamic(C) vineyard and winery in Oregon's Southern Willamette Valley. Founded in 1991 by the King family, King Estate is committed to producing wines of exceptional quality using organic & sustainable farming methods, meticulous fruit selection, and impeccable winemaking practices. King Estate focuses on producing world-class Pinot Gris and Pinot Noirs, while also producing other excellent varietals under their Acrobat and North by Northwest labels. The onsite King Estate Restaurant is dedicated to pairing premium quality Northwest wines with regional specific culinary plates. King Estate's culinary team, led by Executive Chef Sean Winder, uses seasonal organic ingredients whenever possible, and sources those ingredients as locally as possible. King Estate is 100% owned and operated by the King Family.
Reviewed April 30, 2013

This is a beautiful winery that you should definitely go to. The place is unsurpassed in beauty and the wine is delicious. I want to review my dining experience because it struck me as being surprisingly out of place for a winery that is doing so well in most areas. We came to taste and eat dinner, arriving on a quiet Monday evening after what was a very busy weekend in the area. We were promptly seated and our service was friendly and efficient. Our server was helpful, kind and went out of her way to help us make our wine selection. I was impressed and intrigued with the menu descriptions...oysters with Pino gris ice chips? Yes please! Our appetizers came quickly and while small and expensive, were beautiful in presentation. Then, we waited. Our server did not reappear for about 25 minutes, while we awaited our food. When it came, I actually burst out laughing. I ordered quail with carbonara pasta, and was served the smallest portion of quail imaginable. The standard serving is two quail per person. On my plate, I had less than one cup of pasta and one tiny quail, deboned, and sliced neatly in half. The dish was beautiful, but it was so small. It was more of a $12 appetizer than a $28 entree. When asked how things looked, I pointed my concern out to the host who had seated us. He was responsive, but told me this was standard. My suspicions are that they were running out of food after a busy weekend, but I can never be sure. He brought me out another half of a quail, which rounded out my meal to about three bites of meat. Granted, it was delicious, but the pasta was cold, as if it had waited, chilling upon a shelf, for the quail to be plucked and fried. At the end of the meal, the restaurant graciously took our wine off of our bill, but never quite validated that either their menu is sorely lacking in description, or something was wrong with the dish. I cannot fathom that a grown man wouldn't balk at being served something so puny, with such a hearty price tag. I rarely finish even half of an entree, and I ate this up in about 5 minutes. The food is good, but the value is poor!

All reviews
in 11 reviews
"tuscany"
"lavender"

Reviewed March 25, 2013

King Estate is a best in class winery experience. My expectations were far exceeded. We visited King Estate as the last stop of tour of four wineries in the Willamette Valley. We saved the best for last! Not only was the wine excellent, but the food was also superb. The cheese plate was fantastic, as was everything else we tried on the menu. However, what really set this visit above the rest was the service. Shannon was working the tasting bar when we visited. Our group included all ranges of wine knowledge, and Shannon took the time explaining every wine to us. She explained wine tasting in a very understandable way. She was unpretentious and educated us about wine in a way that made sense and we will remember. She was absolutely fantastic, and we will recommend King Estate to anyone visiting the Willamette Valley who wants to enjoy an afternoon drinking great wine and eating great food in a beautiful setting.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

We were invited here by our friends who are wine club members, for the Crabfest. We ended up wine tasting their fantastic Pinot Noir and Pinot Gris and joining the Wine Club, too!
First the Crabfest is a really fun event! We had a table of ten...so it was even more fun! We started with a delicious crab chowder. It was made with a rich and slightly spicy tomato sauce, huge chunks of crab and lots of veggies. The appetizers were deviled eggs, potato salad, and cold slaw. I didn't care for the slaw since it was made with mayo...I usually only eat a slaw made with vinaigrette. The deviled eggs were good. Didn't try the potato salad. The side dish of roasted kale with roasted whole garlic cloves was very tasty...but the star of course, was the steamed dungeness crab. We ate a LOT of crab. They had an entire station with different types of drawn butter- plain, roasted garlic and several types of aioli. I tried the roasted garlic drawn butter (eh) and the saffron aioli, which was fantastic. The crab was delicious!
They also served all you could drink of the Acrobat Pinot Gris, the Signature Pinot Gris and the 2005 Pinot Gris. I loved both the Acrobat and Signature and actually bought a couple of bottles! I did not like the 2005 since it tasted more like a well aged Chardonnay. Too buttery for me!
The desserts were fantastic- meringues, homemade marshmallows, home made gingersnaps, lemon muffins, pistachio brittle, chocolate cupcakes, dark chocolate pudding, raspberry bars and jello, and many other cookies. Each was a 'one bite' style and delicious!
The wines were fabulous. We loved the Cab/Syrah blend as well as the North by Northwest Pinot Noirs.
We didn't eat at the actual restaurant, but it looked fantastic!
This was a wonderful event and I am looking forward to the Ribfest later this year as well as our first wine shipment!
Oh by the way it's $5 for winetasting if you are not members.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

I highly recommend wine tasting in the Lorane Valley, and King Estate is one of the top two destinations for me. King Estate offers the most complete package in the area in that they have excellent food, great wine, and some fantastic real estate.

The wine tasting costs, but if you do it you get a discount on a bottle of wine with your meal which really makes it worth it. There are some tables outside (if you want to drink outside I'd recommend Sweet Cheeks even though they have worse wine) which might be welcome b/c it can feel a little too proper inside sometimes.

There is also an old graveyard on the other side of the parking lot which is worth a visit if it's a nice day. King Estate is stunning enough, I think it's a must-do if you're in the area.

See more reviews
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We decided to stop by the Kings Estate for our last tasting and lunch before heading back to Portland. As we drove down the winding road hardly seeing another vehicle we wondered what kind of place this would be. When we arrived we knew we were in for something special as we drove up the beautiful driveway. Our host for the tasting was knowledgeable and friendly. He allowed us to substitute the listed wines for ones we were a bit more interested in, we left with four great wines to bring home, and having enjoyed the Walla Walla Syrah last night, I am reminded about how great those wines are. Then it was two steps away for lunch. The food was fantastic; I commented to my wife that I think the chefs believe they are making food for three times the price charged. We took our time with our lunches, I don’t think you can wrong with anything on the menu. And when finished we paused outside to enjoy the views of the surrounding hills and vineyards. Next time I'm bringing home a case!