“Great start to our day!”
Review of Morning Glory Cafe

Morning Glory Cafe
Ranked #30 of 657 Restaurants in Eugene
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed August 3, 2014

We stopped at this place for breakfast on our way to the Oregon Country Fair and we were not at all disappointed with our choice to have breakfast prior to getting to the fair. Morning Glory Café is clearly a local favorite with the line out the door, but we were seated soon after going on the waitlist and we had an umbrella shaded table outside. Despite being outside we were very well attended to throughout our meal. I ordered the Claire Bear's Bomblette which was an egg scramble with spinach, yams, garlic and more inside a hashbrown "omlette" of sorts. When I posted my pictures to Facebook people thought it looked gross, but don't let looks deceive you, it was PHENOMENAL. Their menu has a little something for everyone with a focus on vegetarian and vegan faire. I must say that vegan baked good are ALWAYS to die for and their food was no exception. Pricewise it was a good value as well and they served good local coffee and other tasty beverages. I will definitely be trying them again and taking a little more time to provide everyone with a more thorough review, but for my first trip they get two thumbs up.

Reviewed August 2, 2014

We went here when we learned that our usual breakfast haunt was closed till September and our second choice didn't open till 9:01. Our sentiment about Morning Glory whenever it comes up in conversation is "too much bread" but we wanted to stay close to Saturday Market. The food came pretty fast and was hot and fresh. We got the August special of red pepper crepes with an upgraded (.75 extra) side of banana bread. We also ordered a spelt sesame pancake. More protein than bread this time, thankfully. The crepes were pretty tasty but all the food was lacking flavor. Even the banana bread was the least banana-y I have ever had. I'm not sure how that was accomplished. I put salt on everything (yep, everything, even the blueberry compote that came with the pancake) and also syrup. Helped some but the food still didn't jump off the table and hit my mouth with any oomph. The ambiance here is nice and very Eugene but the servers have a constant and noticeable look of disdain in their eyes. I imagine dumping food in the patrons' lap instead of setting in on the table would be a welcome change of pace for them and might relieve a little tension. Once we got our food, we got glances from the servers but no check-ins and had to ask for a refill on the house coffee when the offer didn't come by the end of the meal. Probably just picnic in the park next time!

Reviewed July 25, 2014

YES! At last a fabulous breakfast-brunch restaurant with vegetarian choices. I had a July special that was delicious, delightful, darn tasty! Caramelized red onions, sauteed zucchini scramble with (oh yes slice of heaven!) smoked cheddar cheese. Roasted red potatoes and toast --- I have had bariatric surgery so I am unable to eat very much at any given meal, and I am here to tell you this meal was worth ordering!
The Dude enjoyed his eggs, potatoes and toast but no way as much as I loved my meal. Plus, the coffee was extra-yummy! Kick-started the day nicely.

Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

Now that it has top trip advisor ratings, apparently they can be snobby and rude to long time customers! I been going there for years and last week my family wanted brunch, nobody was in line to be seated and waited 5 min. Got seats ourselves and waiter was so rude to us that we got up and left. Went to brails, much better service!

1  Thank Eric C
Reviewed July 12, 2014

Morning Glory Cafe is a fantastic restaurant in Eugene. It's only open from 9 AM - 3:30 PM, so plan your day to get there early, it's often quite crowded. Their breakfasts are top notch. So if it's breakfast time, you have to start with coffee. Their house coffee is terrific and I'm a coffee snob. If you're into an espresso drink, by all means indulge, they'll hook you up with whatever you want. Now one thing that is a little strange is you have to get your own cream for the coffee. There is a station that has water cups and cream and the diner is compelled to get up to access the cream. Yes it is very strange, but we'll overlook this quirk because everything else hits so hard.

Now even I have to acknowledge, the service here can be spotty. Some of the wait staff displays an aloof attitude at times. We'll cut them a break because they're from Eugene. But the good thing is they can be charmed. Engage them in a bit of banter and they'll warm up. If you get all huffy it'll probably get worse.

The herbed glory potatoes are terrific and they're served with many of the breakfast dishes. My favorite breakfast is the Mama's Tofu Scramble (Mexi-cali tofu scrambled with broccoli, zucchini & fresh cilantro. Served with herbed glory potatoes and your choice of toast). I've also thoroughly enjoyed the Three Sisters breakfast (A mountain of herbed glory potatoes, broccoli, mushrooms, zucchini, tomatoes and onions topped with your choice of nutritional yeast sauce, cheddar cheese, herbed tofu sour cream, or tantric mushroom gravy. Served with your choice of toast). For lunch try the Cajun Tempeh Sandwich (Toasted whole wheat bread smothered with our vegan jalapeño aioli & topped with a cajun tempeh patty, mesclun mix, tomato, carrots & cucumber. Served with a side salad). Another great lunch dish is Vegan Tempeh Caesar (Crisp romaine lettuce, herbed garlic croutons & grilled organic tempeh slices, tossed in our own creamy caesar dressing).

This place also has excellent pastry selections. Cookies, scones, muffins, cupcakes. They're all good, so order something up and get another coffee. There is nothing going on really in Eugene so take your time and indulge.