“A must-stop in Eugene”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed October 20, 2013

A flashback to the '60s like the town itself, the Morning Glory Café, with its vegetarian-vegan menu, is a must-stop anytime (before 3:30) we're near Eugene, Oregon. At our most recent visit, the cheerful interior had been repainted and as usual there was an interesting show of local art on the walls. The servers were pleasant and helpful, and if there ever was a problem with slow service, I don't remember it. My usual tendency is to order one of their sweet vegan breakfasts, such as the smackin' sweet waffles and the blueberry smoothie shown in my photos, but this time I branched out to savory and ordered Chilaquiles, a rustic dish of the chef's invention. The young woman who took our order promised me it was delicious, even though I had my doubts about the idea of blue corn chips mixed into a tofu scramble. The dish satisfied on every level--flavor (sort of down-home with cumin), appearance (lots of vitamin-rich colors), and generously sized (I took a recycled paper container home with enough for the next day's lunch). Jerry let me taste his order, Little Bear's Vegan Omelette, which was folded into a crackling crisp shredded potato shell, surrounded by a bunch of sautéed vegetables and topped with tofu-based sour cream. I had my eye on one of their intriguing pastries (vegan key lime shortbread) but the feast had left me too full. Next time . . .

There are newer reviews for Morning Glory Cafe

Reviewed October 4, 2013

Prices that a college student can afford but food that a vegetarian who is 40 plus and a wee picky can enjoy

Reviewed September 22, 2013

We did a road trip from Seattle to Northern California (to see the Redwoods.) On our back home to Seattle (from Northern Cali), we stopped in Eugene for a night. I found Eugene to be a little disappointing and not worth a day stopover BUT we needed to rest & eat. A quick Yelp search got us to Morning Glory Cafe. Morning Glory is hipster central - it seems all the cool people go here & we found service to be perfect..

I've been slowly making my way back towards vegetarianism and this place cinched it. Even after 20 years of being veg, I'd never had scrambled tofu because... well, it just wasn't that decades ago and it just sounded gross. Plus, I love eggs. I will never be a vegan. But I tried the Mama's Tofu Scramble and it was DELICIOUS. Just a tad bit heavy on the spices but great texture and LOADED with vegetables. The cinnamon raisin toast I got was awesome - I was expecting the usual heavy sweet style bread, but it was normal toast with a subtle & wonderful cinnamon flavor and a few raisins. My son got the French Toast (YUM) and my husband, who has an egg allergy, tried the vegan Belgian waffles. He has always been leery of "vegan" and "vegetarian" anything, so he was happily surprised with the waffles.

Lastly - fresh squeezed oj and great coffee!!

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Fantastic vegetarian cafe with loads of vegan options - they have the best vegan cinnamon roll that I have ever had: tender, a little flaky on the outside, chewy on the inside but not tough, loaded with cinnamon, some raisins and lightly drizzled with just a tiny bit of icing - I could marry the maker of this cinnamon roll and move to Eugene just to keep eating them on a regular basis!

After years of craving a good cinnamon roll but being inept at reproducing the kind of quality my grandmother made, and finding Cinnaholic to be bready with chemically tasting frosting, I feel very fortunate to now at least have an excuse to stop in Eugene and eat amazing delicious cinnamon rolls!

The rest of the breakfast was pretty awesome, too - on my trip, I had vegan biscuits & gravy at three places (plus one chicken fried tempeh and gravy). The gravy at Morning Glory Cafe was described as "tantric mushroom gravy" which I thought was just flat out hyperbole. Let me assure you: that gravy is truly a fantastic experience! For $5.75, I ended up with a huge plate of two split biscuits topped with gravy and green onions, and an extra buck or two found a pile of sauteed tempeh on the top. I could barely eat the entire thing (I left one biscuit half) since I started off with the cinnamon roll.

Hands down - the best breakfast I had all week!

The waitresses are super cute and very good at managing a busy restaurant with grace and aplomb. When one grumpy (hungry) older lady lambasted the woman at the espresso machine for not having her coffee drink fast enough (as she was heading to the ladies room) - the woman at the espresso machine just smiled beatifically and said, "I know, I'm sorry, I'll get it to your table as fast as I can!" I mean - the customer really went on a rant! After the customer went off, I sympathized with the waitress at the espresso machine and she said, "It happens a lot - she's hungry, she wants her food - I understand and you just get used to it in this kind of environment."

Bonus: adorable 4 year old girl who waved at me on her way into the restaurant from the outside table where her family was seated doing the "potty dance" - she must have come back in about four times to talk to me and the other customer seated at the window-facing bar. After I finished my meal she wanted to ask questions about my motorcycle and sit on top of the seat. She had some good questions, inspected the tank bag and climbed down on her own, a little motorcyclist in the making!

3  Thank Jennifer C
Reviewed September 4, 2013

The food here is special and the menu quite creative. Everything ordered at our table was delicious. The cornbread waffles were really good and kept their crisp texture without ever going limp. The tantric mushroom gravy is a must have as are the sticky rolls which we shared as a table. Fresh ingredients and hippie vibe is a plus. Gets crowded with lines so go early. The place is very casual and homey.

1  Thank M K

Been to Morning Glory Cafe? Share your experiences!