“Decent Malaysian and Indonesian Food in Eugene!”
Review of Kopi-O - CLOSED

Kopi-O
Cuisines: Asian
Portland, Oregon
“Decent Malaysian and Indonesian Food in Eugene!”
Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

I have traveled extensively in SE Asia and loved the food in both Malaysia and Indonesia. It is a rare treat to find food from those countries in Eugene. As far as I know it is the only Malay/Indonesian restaurant in Oregon (unless one recently opened somewhere else).

The food was good and somewhat authentic. I tried the gado gado, spicy tempeh (not very spicy, but somewhat sweet), and the singapore noodles (slightly spicy with a yellow curry flavor). Of the three, the gado gado was my favorite and reminded me of my time spent in Bali.

Prices were very reasonable and it is possible to get a small meal for less than $10.

Service was fairly quick and friendly. You order at the counter, take a number, and they bring the food out to you.

Atmosphere was basic but tasteful. Seating was somewhat limited and I had to wait for a table since the place was packed. However, a table became available quickly and I felt well taken care of despite how busy they were.

Eugene has a fair number of Asian restaurants (Indian, Thai, Chinese, Japanese, etc), but most of them are not that great in my opinion. Kopi-O stands out in the crowd as both unique, good quality, and affordable. Overall I enjoyed this restaurant and would recommend giving it a try.

• Visited April 2014

Johor Bahru, Malaysia
“Authentic Malaysian”
Reviewed April 24, 2014 via mobile

With the owner being from Malaysia himself and the cooks following his recipe, these dishes are as close to authentic Malaysian as you get outside of Malaysia. Spicy and tasty in everything they serve. Highly recommend to anyone with any taste preferences. Yum!

Houston, Texas
“Tasty spicy dishes, will definitely return”
Reviewed December 11, 2013

It is noted that prior reviewers commented on the "cafeteria" type atmosphere, but there are many Eugene restaurants that do exactly what this place does... has you order at the counter, get your own utensils, bus your dishes. Big deal. The food is great!

They have a board of specials listed, with several interesting options. Ordered the coconut rice fritters, which were good, and although they lacked flavoring and salt, the cilantro sauce that accompanied it was delicious! We ate them all. We also ordered the special green curry with red snapper. The curry was spicy but not too hot, the fish was lightly battered & fried and kept it's texture in the coconut milk broth. Addicting! The Singapore noodles were packed with veggies and shrimp, and the noodles were a great consistency.

They do have wine & beer, and even some bubbly options. The prices are decent.

Recommend going with several people who are adventurous enough to order a variety of dishes so that everyone can share & experience new tastes. It's definitely a low key relaxed place with delicious food offerings.

• Visited December 2013
Latham, New York
“very tasty eating option”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

My son and daughter-in-law took me here on their first trip to this place also. The food was great. Much of the service is up to you, i.e. ordering, getting utensils, busing. So it has a bit of a cafeteria atmosphere. But the food was wonderfully tasty and a new experience. The place is haled as Malaysian but they mix a number of south Asian cuisines. I had a piece of grouper grilled in a banana leaf with a nice side that mixed well with the fish and it came with a salad that had pineapple, cucumber, tomatoes, and some greens. A real highlight was an appetizer of corn fritters. We shared the three of those but I could have easily devoured the whole plate. The other two in our party enjoyed their meals also. They have vegan and veggie options but be warned these not listed on the menu they hand you at the counter so you need to ask or check out the website ahead of time which does list the complete menu. They were running a number of specials that seemed interesting but this was a quick visit for us as we had a baby in the party who was getting restless. And no highchairs so be warned about that. Can't wait for the next visit.

• Visited October 2013
Salem, OR
“Finally Got To Try Some Malaysian Food”
Reviewed October 12, 2013

My brother and I traveled to Eugene just so we could try some Malaysian food. I am half Malay, but have never had any Malaysian food before.

When you first get there you go up to the counter to order and pay. Then you go get your silverware and napkins. Then you find your table and display your order number which you got when you ordered. From there they bring your meal and you eat. When you are done you are expected to bus your own table. I don’t know about you, but I find this set up a little bit weird.

As for the food it was good, but my brother and I messed up. My brother ate what I ordered and I ate what he ordered. Overall I can’t tell you what we ate besides some curried chicken, the rest I have no idea what it was. I would recommend Kopi-O as long as you are into SE Asian Foods. I wouldn’t make a special trip again to eat there, but if I happened to be by there I would eat there again.

• Visited October 2013