“Gave it a second chance”
Review of Ox and Fin - CLOSED

Ox and Fin
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Next to Talbots in the Heritage Courtyard at Oakway Center
Transit: Bus stop at Oakway Center
Description: Ox & Fin welcomes you to savor exquisitely prepared, locally sourced meals served in an elegant, inviting atmosphere. The best of the northwest with an Italian flair, our creative, high-quality dishes offer the elegant urban dining experience of the finest metropolitan steak houses - right here in Eugene.
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I reviewed this restaurant and gave them a horrible rating. It was definitely a bad night. I can see by the other reviewers that they have an occasional hiccup.

I'm going to have to give them credit though, after they read my review on Tripadvisor they tracked me down from the phone number I left to make the reservation. Very resourceful. They offered me a gift card to come back and give them a second chance so I did. The owner visited us and told us how they were trying very hard to eliminate the hiccups. We weren't disappointed and I have to admit I will probably return. We actually made a meal out of appetizers and enjoyed an original cocktail conjured up by the bartender on shift.

It was an enjoyable experience.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

We learned of Ox and Fin from an ad on a map of the town and thought it would be nice to eat somewhere more upscale than the brewpubs we had been frequenting. We should have stuck with the bars. First, it's difficult to find. It's in the center of an out-door shopping area and no signs are visible from the street or parking lot. Service was friendly, but slow. The decor is very strange for a place trying to be fancy. (Cow hide and an elk head?) Appetizer and entrees were mediocre at best. Dessert was wonderful.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Never a good sign when you are told by the staff that you must wait to be seated because the kitchen cannot handle a half filled restaurant. We were told they had to stagger seating people because of the wait time at the table for food. We should have taken that as a sign to leave but we stayed. From the appetizer to the main course nothing was spectacular. I especially did not like how they cut up my meat as if displaying it on my plate in an artistic way would justify doing so. Either they did not have enough meat or something went terrible wrong. The meat was cold by the time I got it and dried out. I think they need to rethink their presentation. However, I did enjoy the cheese platter at the end of my meal. Even with the kitchen's issues I loved our waiter.

2  Thank Rombutan
Reviewed September 13, 2013

The service was terrible. Took forever to get a cocktail, about 30 minutes. Even longer to get an appetizer, and dinner. We spent a total of over 2 hours in the restaurant, mostly sitting around wondering where our waitress was. The food was ok but not great and the portions are small and very expensive. There's a lot of places in the area with better food for less.

1  Thank spelkey56
Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

We were looking for a place for dinner after picking up relatives at the airport and found this restaurant on Open Table. Very glad we did. Made a reservation in route from the airport and were seated right away. The waitress was very attentive giving us the specials and then giving us plenty of time to make a decision and catch up. We ordered a selection of appetizers to share. Mozzarella and focaccia were wonderful as was the grilled melon and ham salad. My husband had the flank steak which was cooked perfectly. The Kobe burger looked very good as did the pasta dish my brother in law ordered. Overall a very nice dinner.