“This is not good Sushi”

Cuisines: Sushi
Portland, Oregon
“This is not good Sushi”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

My brother lives in Eugene and had wanted to take me out for sushi while I was visiting him for the weekend from Portland, where I live. He said that we should try "Sushi Island" for lunch on W 11th before he went back to work on Monday, and before I drove back to Portland. I am an avid fan of sushi as a delicious and healthy food, but more so for the skill, grace, and training of these most specialized Chefs. The traditional and artistic aspects of the Sushi Chef are humbling and honorable, and I respect that deeply, and tip heavily after an edible artistic showing.

This being said, I experienced the worst sushi I have ever had the displeasure of eating yesterday at Sushi Island. To begin with, the fish was dry, gummy, and sparsely sliced, the primary reason why it was so dry. The sushi (rice) was mixed with to much vinegar, leaving the fish to taste bitter, and also mixed to much casing it to be gummy and textually distasteful. I ordered the first of what I had hoped would be the first of many Specialty rolls, The first of which was the "Super Rainbow Roll," unfortunately this rainbow missing many of its colorful bands. The avocado, which is traditionally part of the exterior of the roll, for those in the know, was sparse, and hidden on the inside, and the exterior of the roll was missing the white tuna, tuna, and yellowtail, this is what Sushi Island's Super Rainbow roll is supposed to contain,

"SUPER RAINBOW
Crab, avocado, cucumber. Topped w/salmon, tuna, yellowtail, white fish, shrimp, unagi, white tuna. (16pc)" (From their online menu)

One wafer thin slice of the ones they included. were stretch in an attempt to cover the rice, it didn't work, the roll was so sparse that rice (sushi) was visible between each piece. I was going to order the Spider Roll, Monster Roll, and Dragon Roll next but could not bring myself to do it after the horrendous display of the untrained sushi cook, because they were not Sushi Chef's by any stretch.

But I digress, If you want Wal-Mart quality sushi, or the kind they prepackage for convenience store coolers, then this is your place. After all you wouldn't go to McDonald's to get a quality hamburger, just like you shouldn't go here for quality sushi.

Oh. and if you consider going for their "happy hour," where all plates on the sushi-roboto are $1.50, you will find that only the plates the cooks decide to put on the belt are what you can select from, which coincidentally are already on the menu for $1.50. If you want anything from the "Belt Menu" that costs more than $1.50, you'll have to order it for full price from the "Belt Menu."

The old "bait and switch," but again I digress, what would one expect from a bait shop.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank Carl L

Eugene, Oregon, United States
“Good Sushi But So-so Customer Service”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We love sushi! The first time my boyfriend and I tried out this place, we loved this sushi buffet place! You could pick any sushi you like as long as it is available on a plate. Each plate has different colors with different prices. We felt the price was pretty reasonable. Given by the first good impression, we came back several times. I also went there with my friends. However, I have noticed that their customer services are just so-so based upon my own experiences. Even if they ask you, "how's everything," which I don't hear often at this place, the don't look at your eyes or their tones are just cold.

Sushi is good. I appreciate different sushi we can have there. They also have noodle soup, ice cream, etc on the menu as well. It's good that they offer us many options. And the location of this place is great. It's on the West 11 Ave and very close to Fred Meyer. It's close to transportation and the Chase bank.

Well, there are tons of good sushi places in great locations in Eugene. If the customer service in general sucks, people won't come back!

• Visited June 2013
Oregon
“Very good sushi for the price!”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

My husband and I decided to try sushi island for dinner. We walked in and we were greeted by nice waitresses. We got to choose where we sat. The sushi was going around a conveyor belt where we got choose which sushi or hot plate we wanted. The price of plates varied from $1.50 to 3.50 which I think was fair. Overall great sushi and good service.They have a deal if you buy five plates you get the sixth one free. The waitresses made sure we had plenty of water to drink and asked if we had any questions! I would definitely go back there for dinner.

• Visited March 2013
Bothell, Washington
“Not impressed”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We ended up here at 8:30 on a Saturday night because our first choices had a wait of over an hour. No wait here. Not many customers at all, and probably with good reason. The sushi was a little tired, not much variety on the belt, the rice was overcooked and under seasoned, and the service was slow.

• Visited February 2013
Eugene, Oregon, United States
“good first time experience”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

my girlfriend and I love sushi. When Sushi Island came close to our neighborhood we were excited and decided to visit it. We walked in and were promptly greeted by a very friendly hostess and seated at the belt table. the pricing guide was simple, color of plate dictated price of plate. we ordered one big sushi roll to share and tried a variety off the belt. Everything was good tasting and fresh. Service was friendly and prompt. First experience was very enjoyable and affordable. $35.00 for two people including tip. We'll be back to the island and give it a second test soon. Cheers !!!

• Visited January 2013