“Not What I Had Hoped For”

BJ's Restaurant & Brewhouse
Ranked #45 of 626 Restaurants in Eugene
Cuisines: American, Bar
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Very disappointed in my first and probably last meal at BJ's new location at the Valley River Inn. We were one of the first people to arrive at 11:15AM today. We had to wait almost 10 minutes to be seated. Ridiculous. It seems they are still working out the kinks and it's a process for them. We were told they were waiting for servers. What??? We then waited for our food for almost half hour and that was for the first course of salad and soup. On a good note - the tortilla soup - one of the best I've had. My lunch entree of Miso salmon - meh. Not a place I'm excited about and won't recommend it as a go to for get togethers.

There are newer reviews for BJ's Restaurant & Brewhouse

Reviewed September 19, 2013

This was a great spot for a late night dinner. Our day got away from us and needed some good food late. The beer was good, as was the pizza with lots of variety.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

This is our 2nd trip to BJ's since they moved to their new location. I really like the new restaurant - very modern. I think it lost some of it's charm tho. First experience a month or so ago was fantastic. This time, not so much. We arrived around 4:30 - not the best time because of the shift change. Problem is...there was a Duck game so I would have figured that they would have taken that into account when planning the shift change. We were brought into larger empty room and seated directly (a little too close) beside 2 people going on and on about people they work with. I didn't want to hear this all through dinner so when the server finally arrived in 15 minutes or so after we were seated I asked if we could move over a couple of tables. They had to get permission from the manager to do this! He finally returned and we moved - got our water and off he went. I'm not blaming the server - I think his section was clear across the restaurant. How he became ours is unknown. Took forever to order, table beside us ended up with 5 people and a baby crowing in. Food arrived - fairly warm, but we ate it. It was tasty but I would have preferred it to be hot. Saw server again awhile later - finally got some more water. Overall - I think they were just slammed because of the football game, but it was no where near as good an experience as the previous visit. My suggestion if you go...go when there is no ducks game and a little later - you will have to wait to be seated, but hopefully the food and service would be better.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I'm going to have to bullet point my recent experience to get everything in...
1. Had a party of 12 and did call ahead seated per their recommendation arrived said will be ready in 30 minutes ran into 1.5 hours for our table. They were waiting for a party to leave so they could put tables together. They should have found alternate seating by then.
2. We had hungry children and we asked to order apps while waiting, the hostess said that they can't do that. What?!?!? You place an order and deliver the food, it's a brewhouse for goodness sakes.
3. Our orders were finally placed didn't see anyone for another 20 minutes, no water, no drink order, nothing. We did get the apps though but no beverages. There were bussers and wait staff all around two were noted texting in the dining room. A busser came by and picked up one plate and we asked for water and he said I'm just helping, he over heard us discussing this and returned with four waters for 12 of us. Then all of a sudden two of our party received their entrees. Still no drinks. The manager was walking around and apparently noticed this then all of a sudden three people were at the ordering terminal looking like they were putting in the rest of our order. Still haven't seen our waitress since the order was taken almost another hour later.
4. Menus still on the table, we put our appetizer plates on another table where they stayed until we left, might still be there. No drinks.
5. All of a sudden we had four waiters delivering food, drinks, etc. one was our server she had no idea of the menu or what she was doing. Every time we asked her something she said absolutely, not sure she knew what that means.
6. The manager comes by apologizing for the confusion and the inexperience of our waitress said she should have never been given such a large table, "then why was she" and comped our apps and offered to buy us dessert which we didn't want. We are over 3 hours into our arrival and sitting time.
7. Checks were dropped off before dinner was finished, half hearted "absolutely' prebussing, menus were now on the floor.
8. I could go into more detail but you get the point by now.
They been open for 10 weeks they should have the bugs worked out lots of people walking around doing nothing. You don't do that in a restaurant you should be picking something up or serving all the time that's service 101 anyone in the business knows this. Our evening was ruined our meals should have been comped for what we went through. Sorry wont go there again to many other choices like a Shari's would be better.

1  Thank JuanRCabrillo
Reviewed September 2, 2013

My husband saw a coupon for the deep dish pizza so we decided to give it a try tonight before the coupon expired. The building is beautiful and the seating was comfortable, but it's very loud and hard to carry on a conversation. My son ordered the jalapeno burger with wedge fries and my daughter ordered the turkey club sandwich with thin cut fries, and neither meal was remarkable. I had the classic turkey sandwich and it was fine but, again, nothing remarkable when you consider the high price ($12) for a sandwich. My husband ordered his deep dish pizza and we all gave it a try. It tasted pretty good at first but after a few bites we were less impressed...the pizza is SUPER salty, and the pepperoni has a weird aftertaste. The strawberry lemonade was very good and our server was very friendly. Service was slow and we were indeed asked about the rewards cards mentioned in previous reviews, but there was no hard sell. It wasn't the worst place by any means but I am sure we would choose one of our other favorites rather than go back.