“Mattress Woes”

Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Eugene
Virginia
“Mattress Woes”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

OK. I want to rate this hotel very highly. I really do. The staff at the desk were so nice, but I have a very strong aversion to uncleanliness so I have to be honest with you other Trip Advisors.

Here's the deal. We checked in and I did my normal once-over for bed bugs, which includes pulling up the fitted sheets and mattress pads to make sure there are no signs of bugs hiding in the mattress. Paranoid? Sure. But I would rather be safe than sorry. So as I pulled up the sheets on my bed, I noticed a small brown spot on the mattress, but when I lifted up the sheet entirely, the spot covered almost the whole mattress. Right in the zone where someone might've peed. YUCK. And the stain was also on the mattress pad. (I bet this is making you want to start checking these things, isn't it?)

So we asked to change rooms. The staff was super apologetic and got us into a new room immediately with no push-back at all. I checked this room, and there was another stain on the mattress! Not as big this time, and this one was not on the mattress cover, so my husband decided that he would sleep on that side of the bed and we would stay in that room. I'm guessing that these stains might be coming from other pets? Or people having accidents in bed? There wasn't an obvious smell to the stains, though I didn't get up close and personal, so I'm assuming they've been cleaned in some form or another. With the mattress pad covering it, we survived, but I would highly recommend that you check the mattress and mattress pad in any of these rooms. Just to be safe.

Otherwise, the room was comfortable, the area felt safe, and we were able to walk along the river to a yummy pub nearby. Someone at the desk drew us a map and everything. So like I said, excellent service, but always check your mattress!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dan W, Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Eugene, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Greenpixey,
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. I value your opinion and your experience, as a seasoned traveler and TripAdvisor poster you know what you want and should get in a hotel stay and I respect that.
Thank you for the nice comments in your post and for the feedback on the mattresses. When we find spots on our mattresses, what ever the source, we clean them with an enzyme that eats any bacteria so what remains is not harmful at all. After the enzyme has had a chance to do its business we clean the area to remove the discoloration. In your case we may have missed a mattress with an issue and for that I apologize. I have looked into it personally and we actually had to replace that mattress because it didn’t come clean to our satisfaction.
Thank you again for letting us know about your stay and we hope to see you again in the future, hopefully we can catch any issues before you do :)

Dan Walker
La Quinta Inn & Suites Eugene

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 2, 2013

My one and half year old son; 'bubbas man' and I stayed for almost a week and it was the best part of our vacation. The staff are wonderful and the breakfasts were awesome. The cleanliness and privacy was very serene. The beds were so comfortable it was almost better than the pool/spa tub. It was overall one of the best hotel stays i've ever had. Definatley something to write home about. Bubbas man was pretty crazy exploring the halls, elevator, and soda machines(they were his favorite). And the staff were very helpful and not in the least bit bothered by the little explorer although i had moments of tested patience.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Friendly staff from the moment we walked through the door. Accommodations worked great for our family of four. Room came with a microwave and refrigerator which was a bonus. Breakfast was good. They even opened a little early to accommodate early play times. Would definitely stay here again. Convenient location to U of O facilities. Loved it!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Seattle
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Hotel was clean, staff was very friendly and helpful.
Would recommend this hotel to others.
Appreciated the pets welcome philosophy.
Room was clean, bed was comfortable, lots of space.
Enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Bend, Oregon
Reviewed December 28, 2012

The location is excellent. Hotel is close to the college football stadium, walking trails along the Willamette river, and downtown and Amtrak are only a 1/2 mile walk. There is a nice indoor pool and the staff was very accommodating about allowing us to invite our grandkids in for a swim. The breakfast is very good. I especially enjoyed the biscuits, eggs, and gravy every day.

My only downgrade would be for the lack of an airport shuttle.

Room Tip: Pick a high room with water view.