“Great place to stay”

Ranked #20 of 34 Hotels in Eugene
San Jose, California
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed March 29, 2011

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised as when my son who lives in Eugene found out the location he was very concerned. However the Patel's that run this place made me feel very comfortable and and the rooms/service were both exceptional. I will definately want to stay there when I go to visit my son again in the future.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed March 26, 2011

After checking at several motels for nightly rate, I found the this Hotels's staff most courteous and with good attitude. The room I was accomodated included wall iron board, hair-dryer, free wi-fi and refrigerator and microvawe. I found the room very comfortable.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Lincoln City, Oregon
Reviewed March 25, 2011

not fancy but clean, quite and price is reasonable
Beds a bit hard
I would stay there again

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
B.C.
Reviewed November 7, 2010

Just needed one night while travelling, got a great price, clean, no smells including cleaning smells, nicely decorated, small, included frig and microwave, small fitness room, coffee and a waffle the next morning, friendly prompt service, no issues so . . . great value for the price. Close to university, so might be good for that too.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
skp803, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Eugene, responded to this review, January 16, 2011
Thank you for your comments we here at Americas Best Value Inn Eugene strive to provide our guests with the best possible lodging experience. Our staff is eager to be of service and we appreciate your business.
Coquille, Oregon
Reviewed August 30, 2010

I think some of the reviewers here have been unreasonably harsh in their judgments - but in a minute I'll share my theory on why that may be. In the meantime, here's my take.

We've been coming to ABVI for about 10 years now - we live on the coast about 3 hours away, and Eugene is our "shopping" town, so we come often. And we always stay here, when it isn't booked up. About 10 years ago, this place was fully renovated, and they did a splendid job - it was rather shocking at that time to look at the outside -which has always looked its age- and then open the door to find a beautiful room! New everything, and a simply fantastic bed - and I still like the beds.

Yes, the owners have since been making their investment back, and it's been ten years since the place has been fully renewed. But as repairs are needed, they are done - on our last visit, I saw nothing non-functional -with one exception which I'll get to in a moment- and in fact, I noticed some touches of higher quality that most budget motels would avoid making.

The door locks - often a worry in a cheaper motel, are quite heavy duty and I'd bet expensive as well. If you want a easy benchmark for how management spends its maintenance money, check the toilet seat! I did, and I found a sturdy, high quality model - not your usual Motel 6 edition.

We have always been more than satisfied with the quality of our stays here over the years, and for the money, we have always thought it was hard to beat in Eugene - but our last visit revealed a few chinks in the armor of this old soldier, and I'll share those with you too.

For good sleep, we require "white noise" which at home is provided by an air cleaner, and when traveling, by the room air conditioner - even if just the fan is running. Frankly, such white noise has always been necessary at ABVI because of the street noise - but a new source surfaced during our last visit - at about 10 pm the noise of children playing in the parking lot began, and it continued until after 2 am.

This would not have been a problem if our air conditioner was generating a constant white noise, but instead, it would only run the fan while the compressor was running, and then become completely silent - it was at those times when the noise of the playing children would wake me again. Even though it was still a warm night, at 2 am I switched from AC to fan only, and managed some decent sleep for the rest of the night.

I think this AC was malfunctioning - I've seen these before, but I sincerely doubt that AC makers actually make ACs that cycle completely on and off - that would be simply too irritating. But I can see a problem circuit board in an AC that would begin to function in just this way - the motel manager's choice at that time would be to replace the entire circuit board, or try living with the malfunction. An unfortunate choice here.

It was an unfortunate choice because of a second unfortunate choice which management was also about to make - they decided to ignore the noise of the children playing at 2 am! Why? Well, perhaps they've encountered one too many unruly guests at 2 am and would like to ignore another such experience. Understandable - but unfortunate for the many other guests and their sleep.

And that finally brings me to the question of why there would be such a divergence of opinion as to the quality of the rooms and stay at ABVI. - When you run a "budget" motel, you get your share of riff-raff, along with just plain average folk looking to save a few bucks - sometimes it's hard to make a quick judgment on which is which - sometimes it's not hard at all. I think ABVI has nice rooms, and not-so-nice rooms, and I think they assign them accordingly. At least that's my theory.

Look folks - this place is simply too popular with too many people who drive really nice cars! If it was as bad as some say it is, it'd average only a few cars a night - but this place is full most of the time - they're doing something right! (It just ain't breakfast)

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for you comments we appreciate your input and your business. We have addressed your concerns and have evaluated our air conditioning units and will implement a new preventive maintenance program. We are sorry for your inconvenience your comments are valued and help us to improve our service and help us to avoid situations like this in the future.
La Cruz de Huanacaxtle, Mexico
Reviewed August 30, 2010

Stayed a week while finishing up personal business in USA. Room (123) faced 7th St. and was noisy. Bathtub & kitchenette sink were clogged. I tried to use plunger - evil gunk came out - ended up with owners in my unit for total of a few hours & couldn't use bath or sink for 2 days! I saw fleas (they don't bite me), but when company came, they were attacked by a swarm of them. Unit was not clean, not maintained, bed cover & blanket were filthy... Oh - when I asked for tub to be cleaned to take a bath after evil gunk was gone, I got the maintenance guy in with a plain towel to wipe it! Ring was still visible. I got some bleach. Too disgusted to even let them know about flea problem - as though cleaning staff wouldn't be bitten to death while cleaning.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Lorrainesails

Travelers are raving about these Eugene hotels

vancouver
Reviewed January 10, 2010

refused to honor cupon from travel magazine at face value from highway rest stop
weged between two busy streets complained to Americas Best Value by email no responce.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo