“Full meal for a hungry family? Maybe not”

Izakaya Meiji Company
Ranked #38 of 627 Restaurants in Eugene
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Specializing in Japanese small plates, old school cocktails and whiskey bar but thank goodness no sushi. The theme is based on a Japanese tavern or sake house. sake
Reviewed August 15, 2014 via mobile

But for drinks and light (small) food plates it would be perfect. We went with our two kids and we were starving. Because we had never been before we asked our waiter to explain the theory behind the menu and what to expect. He explained that we should order several things and plan to share. And he warned us that the food would come out whenever it was ready, to not expect a typical first, second course order.

We ordered about eight dishes total, four at first then more as we were still hungry. The food was very fresh and wonderfully prepared. There was nothing we didn't like. The plates are very small (two scallops) so sharing was possible but everyone got just a taste. It was a fun way to try a lot of different things but an expensive way to fill up teens! We spent $128 for four with one $6 cocktail.

The crowd was younger and hip, as is the wait staff. The gentleman who sat us when we arrived seemed rather out of it, forgetting us at the door for a while. Our first waiter was great but he was replaced with someone else. The service was good and we never waited long for food.

Reviewed June 23, 2014

The nicest people in the world live and work in Oregon. Unfortunately not at Izakaya Meiji. I have to say this was the worst, most abusive service I have ever received in a restaurant. We were a party of eight. I was the least hungry and only ordered one dish -- a burger (having had a great Asian dinner the day before at "Mame"). I waited and waited -- all 7 others of our party had had their 2-4 dishes each thrown before them (in whatever order the kitchen -- not you -- decides: you could end up with all 4 of yours while your partner has nothing: I know you are "supposed" to share, but most of the dishes are way too small to actually share). My burger did not come. We stopped a passing waiter who told us it was on the way (first lie). Another 10 minutes and I asked another with the same response (second lie). Another 10 minutes and our waitress (who during all this time never once asked our table if everything was OK) told me she had not put my order in and it would be right out. She used the "sorry" word as if SHE had been the injured party. They did comp the burger (was that interesting flavor saliva?), but here's the kicker -- when I thanked her for that, she actually stormed off in a huff (this rudeness was confirmed by others in my party). And here's the other kicker: 18% is added to large parties -- I had no recourse. Tripadvisor is a customer's only outlet. With so many other fantastic restaurants in Eugene, large parties especially should avoid this place at all costs. If the food was worth the abuse and the lies, maybe -- but the food was only mediocre at best. And, oh yes, it's not cheap. The ambience was bare and depressing. If you are not a regular, beware. The only really interesting thing about this place is its name.

1  Thank edgar m
Reviewed June 21, 2014

Tonight we took our kids out for a different type of dinner experience. It was a family style dinner yet very elegant. We ordered numerous small dishes to pass. Spinach with black sesame sauce, Spicy Tuna Cocktail, Calamari, Grilled chicken and grilled steak kabobs, pickled cucumbers and more that I just don't recall the names. Their restaurant drink which the kids ordered was Bourbon and Ginger. It was a change of pace from everyday places. It was great food, different drink choices and an overall wonderful experience. Enjoyed everything we sampled but you do pay for this different dinner menu. If you don't mind splurging a little, this is a great change of pace.

Reviewed June 9, 2014

Liked the menu and decided to pay a visit. The cocktails were $1 off and were quite tasty. We ordered quite a few dishes and most were enjoyable, even the funny fermented squid. Definitely something to try for the adventure-seekers.

We were somewhat disappointed by the bbq fish. I think it was mackeral. The fish seemed like it wasn't cooked properly and it felt that way for all our fish dishes. We figured the chef wasn't great at the fish and decided that next time, we would stick to the deep fried or vegetables instead.

Portions are small, so be warned!

Reviewed April 29, 2014

The concept is truly confusing at first - kind of an Asian cowboy fusion tapas whiskey bar. Somehow it works, though.Hip atmosphere. Indoor and outdoor seating.

Our server was friendly and fast enough, and misc employees seemed to rotate in delivering food and taking away plates. Happy hour has $1 off select appetizers and drinks. The cocktail menu is interesting, drinks you actually have a hard time deciding on. Solid whiskey and sake list.
The Shiitake mushroom skewer had a miso butter that was divine. We opted for rounds of vegetarian / pescatarian tapas. We liked everything we had , honestly. The Onigiri was very interesting, various stuffed rice balls on a nori sheet . everything was served with interesting salts, flakes, etc.,The seafood was very fresh and local. you can have a meal, not just the tapas, but we left satisfied. Will go back for sure.