“Refreshingly elegant experience with modern comfort and wonderful service.”
Review of Inn at the 5th

Inn at the 5th
Ranked #1 of 35 Hotels in Eugene
Seattle, Washington
“Refreshingly elegant experience with modern comfort and wonderful service.”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

My family and I stayed here for two days in the king terrace suite. When we walked into the hotel we were takin care of promptly and we could hear the live music from the balcony. Once in the room we discovered the tasteful decor paired well with the jacuzzi. Our bed was heavenly comfortable and the next day provisions offered our coffee which was one step away. It was all spectacularly pleasent at the Inn. The car service was sleek and prompt. The customer service alone made our vacation peaceful and we could relax. I would go here over and over again.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Elliecpaget

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Federal Way, Washington
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Valet service greeted us with a smile, check-in was easy. It is a nice hotel, but we will not be back. I do not like deception. At check out I asked if there was a charge for water because the bottles are so cute and was told no charge. Our bill showed a $10.00 charge for water. Back in I go and say, "You said there was no charge for the water." The same girl replies, "The water is free, the bottle it comes in is $10.00." Very disappointing way to end our stay.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
9 Thank plwtucker
Amber S, Guest Relations Manager at Inn at the 5th, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for complimenting our Valet and Front Desk Services. We strive to provide immaculate guest service, and I'm happy to hear that you did have positive experiences with our staff. I do apologize for the confusion regarding our in-room water bottles. In keeping up with our interests in conservation and sustainability, we reuse our glasses. I wish I could have met with you while you were here to take care of this for you, as it is such a pity that you ended a wonderful stay on a negative note. I hope that you would give us a chance to make it up to you and consider our hotel for your future Eugene travel needs. Please contact me directly to make arrangements or if you would like to speak to me further.

Warm Regards,
Amber Starnes
Guest Services Manager
astarnes@innat5th.com
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed July 18, 2012

We had one disaster, which was a gas fireplace in Room 322 that came on randomly after we were asleep at about midnight the second night of our two night stay, forcing us to evacuate to another room when no one in the hotel at that hour could figure out how to make it go off and stay off. To the hotel's great credit, when I suggested at check out the next morning that our room should be comped for that one night because of the tremendous inconvenience to us and extremely disrupted sleep, the hotel readily agreed, so I bear nothing but goodwill towards the hotel as a result of this misfortune. But don't stay in Room 322 unless the hotel assures you the fireplace issue has been fixed permanently!

The hotel is basically very lovely and something Eugene has needed for a long time. The decor is spectacular, and everything is deligtfully clean and fresh. The staff is very friendly and helpful. It is a great convenience that it offers nighttime shuttle service to concert venues. Its location next to Marche restaurant could not be better, with lots of little shops and other restaurants nearby and the Hult Center a short walk away, plus easy access on foot to the river trail. Yes, as other reviewers have noted, the train runs by there and can be heard when it does. But our sleep was not disrupted by the train.

All of our complaints are minor and certainly would not prevent us from staying there again. To the contrary, I cannot imagine staying at any other Eugene hotel now that I have stayed here.

The few complaints are:
--as noted by other reviewers, the lack of windows that open to admit fresh air. Our bellman said it was for safety reasons. Baloney. It is easy enough to design opening windows--with grilles, for example, that I have seen elsewhere, or strong permanently installed screens-- that people cannot fall out of, but the hotel just didn't do it. However, the air conditioning system was effective to cool the room.
--in Room 215, the room to which we were evacuated in the middle of the night, there was a noisy refrigerator which I fixed by pulling it out and unplugging it.
--lack of translucent window shades that would let you get dressed in privacy without having to pull down the blackout curtains. Room 322, for example, looks directly into the windows of shops next door, so needs that intermediate layer of privacy. If you pull down the only curtains provided, you then need to turn on a light to see anything.
--sleeping under a duvet in summer is like being smothered by a polar bear. I don't know why hotels are so crazy about duvets. I'd greatly prefer a simple blanket or two (and blankets are washable now, too), maybe just a light blanket under the duvet so the bed would still have a tidy look but the duvet could be tossed aside at night. Perhaps blankets are an option here, but we didn't see any and didn't ask.
--the toilet in Room 322 is behind a sliding glass door about five feet from the head of one sleeper. Fine if you are only one person in the room, but a little embarrassing if you are a couple because it pretty much feels and sounds as though the toilet is right in the bedroom.
--the only instructions provided for the coffeemaker were little drawings on the machine itself, which is fine I'm sure if you are familiar with that type of machine. We were not sure whether we needed to open the little coffee pod(s) or just insert them as is (it is the latter; they are automatically punctured by the machine). Written instructions would have been nice. Also, it is silly to provide 4 coffee pods but only 2 creams, since it is possible both guests will want cream or milk in each of their coffees, as we do.
--in Room 322, one side of the bed lacked a reading light, and had only a wooden stump sort of thing as a bedside table. At these room prices, expecially, it surprised us that one side of the king sized bed lacked a light. One could easily be installed on the wall, as space is tight there between the bed and the closet.
--the showers are beautiful, but lack grab bars or non-skid mats, at least in room 322. Older guests like us, who don't yet need accommodations for the disabled, do like the option of a non-skid shower mat.
--I was able to consult a Eugene map on my Ipad, but it would be a nice touch to have a paper street map of Eugne prominently in the room someplace that a guest could stick in purse or pocket to consult once outside the hotel. We didn't see any.

Otherwise, this is a really, really nice hotel. I provide these criticisms to help the hotel become better, not to discourage people from staying here. Also, I think there is a large variety in room types so ask for the specific details when you reserve. For example, if you reserve a room with doors opening to a balcony, fresh air would not be an issue.

I don't comment here on things we didn't try out, including the spa or room service. And I'll put in a last plug for Marche restaurant: we ate 5 meals there and loved each one. I think their food is terrific and I wish we had a restaurant this good in Bend. It is pure Heaven to dine on their outdoor terrace on a warm summer evening.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Arizona
Reviewed July 16, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed one night here in July 2012. The hotel was everything you'd expect for $230 per night: soft cozy beds, first-class toiletries, even complimentary bottled water in the room. The hotel is very clean and modern.
The airline lost our luggage and the staff were very accommodating about trying to track it down and even driving us back to the airport to look for it. There is a free Airport shuttle as well.
I wished we could have stayed longer but it was cost-prohibitive so had to stay the rest of our trip at a most cost-friendly hotel. Our one night was a real treat, though!

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bike-n-ski
Reviewed July 13, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the Inn at the 5th for four nights and just loved it! The employees are helpful, the rooms are luxurious and the room service food was great! Already made reservations for our next trip.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Austin230
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I stayed at this place in April of 2012 while visiting UO. I liked the hotel location and amenities very much.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank mali2007
Palm Desert, California
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Beautiful boutique hotel. Room was large and decorated in a lovely modern eclectic style. We really enjoyed the in-room fireplace (even in the summer). The lobby has such a cool vibe. Staff was extremely friendly. Small, well appointed fitness facility. Basically everything was very stylish, comfortable, and well done.

The location is wonderful. We rode bikes every morning on the fantastic riverside trail system (minutes from the hotel). We went to a different little bakery or coffee shop every morning all within easy walking or biking distance. The big Saturday Market is close by. The hotel is part of the 5th street market complex which is full of wonderful shops and small restaurants. Try the toy store & the handmade clothing and fiber arts store on the second level.

Worth noting that we kept our bikes in our room and no one seemed to mind at all when we wheeled them in and out through the lobby everyday. The staff was also super friendly to our kids. We loved our time there and highly recommend.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family