“Hip & Modern Thai Food, but still good”
Review of Sabai Cafe & Bar

Sabai Cafe & Bar
Ranked #3 of 653 Restaurants in Eugene
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Dropping our daughter off at the University of Oregon for her freshman year, we sought a special place for a lively perk-the-kid-up dinner and this restaurant was a great choice, even though it wouldn't have been my own selection had I been making the decisions --- I let our friend, a Eugene resident, choose for us. It's new and quite modern-looking with a "bar scene" up front, a few elevated tables served by extremely tall chairs as well as traditional booths and normal-height tables, rustic panels of old wooden planks on the walls just as decor items, all a bit on the chi-chi side for me. But that aside, the food was very good, and the menu is extremely flexible so as to accommodate all the modern food fads (gluten-free, vegan, macro, etc.) as well as we old fogeys who just eat meat and shrug, and happiest of all, they really do understand SPICY. Our waitress was very professional, and urged the chef to make my dish especially incendiary, and he did! This is not often accomplished, and always appreciated when it happens. Our portion size was such that we took home two boxes, quite enough for a decent meal the following day. When we come back to Eugene, this is where we'll go.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

I am big Thai food fan. The place is in a shopping area and parking can be tough. The place itself is loud and cramped. Both times I have been there I had a reservation but it is meaningless. I still waited 45 minutes each time. Last time my party of five was seated at a table of four. Waiter actually laughed at us for being so cramped. Food is good but not great. Vegetables don't appear fresh and presentation is ok. Appetizers were high light of night. Over all disappointing.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Great food and nice people. I've eaten at all the Tai food joints in Eugene/ Springfield and this really is the best by far. Very fresh ingredients and a classy setting; and the owner Mon is fantastic!!!

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Decent food though service was a tad slow in this crowded and popular joint on a weekday night. Food was tasty and portions were huge. Would recommend if you visiting Eugene.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

Really appreciated the variety on the menu. Hard to choose. Chose a curry and shrimp dish that was excellent. We were a large party on a tight time schedule. We alerted the wait staff and they got us taken care of well within our time-frame but without any sense of rushing. All seven in our party really liked what they ordered. All were bummed because we did not have an opportunity to return. Next time in Eugene, we'll make it a priority.

Been to Sabai Cafe & Bar? Share your experiences!