“Favorite Thai Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Sabai Cafe & Bar

Sabai Cafe & Bar
Ranked #5 of 610 Restaurants in Eugene
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Cottage Grove, Oregon
“Favorite Thai Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

This small restaurant at the Oakway Mall serves delicious Thai food. It is my favorite in Eugene, which has a number of excellent Thai restaurants. The curries are my favorite, but there is a small but comprehensive menu of different types of Thai food. Wine and beer are available, and there is outdoor seating on the courtyard in good weather. Staff are attentive, but not overbearing. I only wish they had brown rice.

Visited August 2012

Eugene, Oregon
“A new favorite Eugene restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

Great environment, great food. A special they've had for a while is the Avocado Curry with rice noodles. It's spicy and has avocado in the curry. Something I never would have thought of, but two things I love: avocado and curry, and all their dishes are generous with vegetables! I also recommend their "Angels on Fire" dish: lightly fried calamari in a spicy sauce. Super spicy, super delicious. Something to keep in mind, though, is that their medium is more like most peoples' spicy. Sometimes the waiters will even mention that, but not always. I typically order medium and ask for their chili and hot sauce service. They bring a hot chili oil and a chili paste if you want spicier food. However, I've found that their medium is plenty spicy for me, and I love spicy food. I can typically handle pretty spicy, and where I usually order things hot, I get medium here. Someone else said to avoid their specialty drinks, but I've loved them. I tend to avoid complex drinks in general, and some of theirs appear to be that way, but their simpler cocktails (the phuket coolie and the sabai sabai) are pretty yummy. And yes, they're strong. :) I would recommend this restaurant to anyone, and go there often!

Visited August 2012
1 Thank MeredithABaker
Eugene, Oregon
“Lava Catfish”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

This is our favorite Thai place in Eugene. Our favorites are the avocado noodles and the lava catfish. They both have just the right amount of spice. The outdoor seating is great and the service very prompt and friendly.

1 Thank Marshall W
Oregon
“Great atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

Very trendy, modern restaurant that has a great vibe to it. We went on a Saturday night, without reservations, and were seated right away. The servers were friendly and attentive. We started with the salad rollls - yum! I ordered the Sabai Noodles with chicken - huge portion! It was good but I would try a different dish next time. My husband ordered the cashew chicken. It was good and not very spicy even though he ordered it "hot". I thought that dish was tastier than mine. :-)

Eugene, Or
“Great Thai Food and Bar”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

We have been here numerous times and have had really good experiences with the food and service. The owners Tim and Mon are very personable and have created a beautiful space and menu. They have the traditional Thai dishes (done very nicely) but also always have a number of speciality/fusion dishes that we really enjoy. One example - Tom Ka soup broth with mussels instead of chicken or other meats. Lemon bars with Thai coconut.....yum! We love the Rangoon Gimlet as well - muddled basil in there. The Sabai is a fun cocktail I definitely disagree with the reviewer who said avoid speciality drinks. They have great and creative bartenders. My only complaint is that on occasion (and other reviewers and friends have noted this as well) the service can be less than spectacular. Tim explains that as a new restaurant it's been hard to predict how many hungry folks will show up on a given evening - so it's been hard to staff properly at times. I'm pretty sure they will get that lined out as they gain experience. Oh - and their menu is priced very nicely - so a meal there is a good value. You can spend more on drinks than the meal if you aren't careful though!!

1 Thank fiddle_man

Been to Sabai Cafe & Bar? Share your experiences!