“Very Best Place to stay In Eugene”

Phoenix Inn Suites Eugene
Ranked #12 of 38 Hotels in Eugene
Reviewed December 7, 2010

Needed to check in early as didn't want to miss the big game. Jill at the front desk took care of this plus more. She took care of every detail making our stay a real pleasure. The rooms were VERY clean- breakfast was great- staff was top notch-we couldn't have asked for a better visit to Eugene.Pricing was very reasonable and the location is perfect for everything we wanted to do. Will stay every time we visit.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank ordawg1

Reviewed November 18, 2010

I booked this through Hotwire expecting a 3 star hotel (shouldn't have bothered because the price was not much better than booking directly) and was mortified to find out this 2 or 2.5 star if we're being generous motel was what I was getting. When I looked up reviews I got anxious but I had heard good things about the chain so I was also a little hopeful. This hotel is perplexing, it actually looks quite new and attractive from the outside and the lobby was also quite nice. The woman at the front desk was friendly enough but a little distracted as I was sear there were two different guys trying to chat her up! The hotel seemed to cater to regular business travelers and construction crews and I guess they get bored and head on down to the lobby. I wasn't really bothered by this, I just thought it odd enough to mention in the review.

On to the room and why I used the word perplexing earlier! As I mentioned, the hotel itself looked alright and the lobby was decent. On opening the door to our room, we found an oversized room with two relatively comfortable queen beds. But everything else about the room was awful! (that's not true, they had what looked to be a near new flat screen tv). The carpet was anxious and filthy looking, I never understand why people whine about hotel cleanliness but now I do, it was that bad. There was a microwave that was about the size of a shoebox and had a turn timer instead of a digital interface, they haven't made those since the seventies! The rest of the furniture (apart from the beds, I will admit those were decent) looked liked it had been bought from a garage sale or else a really old motel that was going out of business. It was that bad!

I made the mistake of using the stairs a couple of times and it looked like they hadn't been vacuumed in years. I know that nobody uses them and even nice hotels probably don't make them a priority but this was over the top (as was the light that kept flickering on and off in the stairway giving the whole thing a particularly creepy vibe).

Breakfast was no better or worse than the motel breakfasts that I am coming to hate. I will say that to their credit they used real mugs for the coffee and real plates and flatware which was a treat and a rarity for this class of hotel.

I have stayed at worst hotels in my time but this is probably the most I've spent on a bad one and the worst one to be advertised as a 3 star property.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank BlackberryBoy
Reviewed June 7, 2010

In a hurry, of course, to get to class on time on my last day at the hotel, I mistakenly left some items in a drawer in the room. (stayed 4 days) When I discovered my mistake the following morning I immediately called the hotel in Eugene. The clerk was polite and told me the room had not been occupied the evening I left and she would "e-mail" the housekeeping department so my items could be retrieved and returned to me. I left my credit card #, etc expecting a speedy delivery of the items I left. Not receiving the items in a timely manner, I called back the following week, the clerk again friendly, but unable to locate my items or any record of my phone call to the hotel. I asked to speak to the manager and she said he was not available, but I could leave a voice mail. I did so and to date (two weeks later) have still not heard from the manager. The clothes were new with the tags still attached, so I am sure someone from housekeeping is looking pretty good right now. Very inconsiderate in returning my calls and items!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank saralynnae1
Reviewed April 13, 2010

The Phoenix Inn Eugene is in a structure that should be condemned. Mold and other kinds of decay are evident throughout the building. The first room I was given smelled like an animal had died in it. The second room was less offensive, but still smelled strongly of mold, especially in the bathroom.

This building has now passed the end of its useful life. No amount of surface cleaning and friendly staff can make up for this deficiency.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Human44
Reviewed April 11, 2010

The young woman at the desk was extremely rude to us. Perhaps it was because we were women and she made us feel like there was a problem with our 'sharing' a room! I've traveled with my business partner for 20 years now and this was the worst reception we've experienced. The room was dirty with cobwebs on the ceiling and sticky bathroom floors. The physical aspect of the motel was good and the breakfast generous.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Jazzloonz
Reviewed March 30, 2010

My wife and I visited the Phoenix Inn and Suites recently. We were all primed for a nice quiet weekend away. Well, that fantasy was shattered when we got a wake up call at 7:00 a.m. Saturday morning. The problem was: we didn't ask for a wake up call!
The wake up system works by allowing guests to call on their telephone and set their wake up call themselves. The previous guests must have programmed the telephone for a wakeup call at 7:00 a.m. and housekeeping didn't erase that program after the previous guests left.
Saturday morning we figured it was just a mistake. But I was pretty unhappy when we got a wakeup call on Sunday at 7:00 a.m. as well.
we had to return home to get a good night's sleep!
While this hotel is within walking distance from some Christian college, it sure isn't withing walking distance of downtown!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jsdive
Reviewed March 30, 2010

Travelled with my son on the college tour circuit. Just a few minutes walk to University of Oregon. Rooms are nice, quiet. Price is a tad high. "Scrumptious, extended breakfast buffet" advertised on the web-site was not to be found. It was nothing more than the standard contiental breakfast of small muffins, dry pastries, instant oatmeal, apples that no one takes, and three assorted dry cereals. Well, there was hot biscuits and gravy. Other than the over-hyped breakfast, we'd stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family