“Mediocre stay”

Ranked #8 of 34 Hotels in Eugene
California
“Mediocre stay”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2007

We stayed one night in our way from San Francisco to Seattle. It was sort of last minute. We got a two Queen bed "suite"...thinking that the sitting area would be somewhat separated from the beds. No, it's really not a suite. It's more like a larger size two queen BR with a small loveseat, a coffee table, and a desk. The amenities were the same as a non-suite room. The bathroom was not very clean -- still residual "you don't wanna know" stuff on the underside of the toilet seat. Not something you want your 4 yr old to touch when going to the bathroom. GROSS! The shower curtain had some sort of white powder on it. And there were old food bits under one of the beds. We're especially conscious of this as we have small children...my youngest still crawls around when playing even though he is 1.5 yrs old. The breakfast was terrible. The eggs were "pre-cubed" (looked liked those sponge eggs from a instant noodle cup) and were swimming in "butter-tasting substance". The only thing that was somewhat edible were the waffles (make your own which was actually fun for my kids) and cheerios (can't go wrong). We will not be back...

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank RoadtripMommy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Seattle, WA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2007

I don't understand why this hotel is so highly recommended. I was very disappointed. I booked our 2-Queen bed room the day of our trip. Unfortunately, the hotel did not have our reservation. Thankfully, I'd printed my confirmation. We were assigned a room on the street side. Yes, it was loud, but more importantly, the air conditioning did not work. We asked to be moved and were assigned a street side room adjacent to the ice maker--at least the air conditioner was working. It was a cool night, but it was so loud when opened the windows that we ran the air conditioner all night. The hotel did offer a discount for our troubles, but I had to ask for it upon check out because the receipt that they slid under our door did not have the discount.

• Liked — The comforter on the bed
  • Disliked — Air conditioner and loud street/train noise
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank ORDuckTraveler
traverse city, mi
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2007

My wife and I stayed two nights and felt we should share one observation that concerned us. Being that it is very close to the hospital many folks are discharged and will stay here for a few days for follow up... we witnessed one recovering patient throw up in the hall way. They are even in their hospital gowns when checking in. We are not germ a phobs but began to wash are hands more often while in this hotel

• Liked — friendly staff
  • Disliked — a second hospital
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ladylake99
Oregon Coast
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 2,644 helpful votes
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2007

This Phoenix Inn is in many ways just like all of the motels in the chain. The lobby is comfortable, service is friendly and efficient, everything is clean, and the breakfast is expansive and fresh.

However, the rooms in this one, while spacious, are not the same "mini-suite" design as in most Phoenix Inns. There is no dividing wall between the bed area and the couch/desk area. Also, the rooms seem to have a "backward" design .... the couch is opposite the sink, rather than at the other end by the window.

But that minor point aside, the only real drawback to this motel is the busy train tracks that run right through the parking lot! Well, not really quite that close, but in the middle of the night it sounds like it, as the tracks are only about 200 yards away. The road noise quiets down at night, but not the train noise.

The key here would be to get a room on the back side, overlooking the creek. We peeked in a couple while they were being cleaned, and they had a very pleasant view.

A few other points .... Our bed had a lovely, snuggly down comforter as well as a wonderfully comfortable pillow top mattress cover. We like to take breakfast up to our room, but could not find any trays, so it took several trips. (But we did take the stairs to help work off the large breakfast.) And I agree with a previous reviewer -- that bathroom fan bears a distinct resemblance to a jet airplane ready for takeoff!

• Liked — Comfy bed, great breakfast.
  • Disliked — The train noise!
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank half-Brit
Upper Left Coast
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2007

"A relatively new "suites" motel on the northwest corner of the UO campus. The rooms are large and clean. It has a large breakfast room with ample breads, waffles, eggs and sausage in the morning. In nice weather, the breakfast room extends onto a pation above the campus Millrace.

The king size beds are fabulous. I'd want to spend a weekend on one. The drawback in a suite is that you can't really see the small TVs from the beds. They're tucked in an amoire facing the little sitting areas in the room configuration.

The other gripe is that the bathrooms have a very loud fan connected to the light switch. So if you're staying with another person, they're going to hear a small jet engine when you get up in the middle of the night to use the facilities. I consider that a drawback when comparing this property to a Comfort Suites or similar competitor."

• Liked — The beds
  • Disliked — The lsize and location of the TVs in the room and the EXTREMELY noisy fan in the bathroom
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank umbrellaman
Camarillo, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2006

We had booked three nights at the Phoenix Inn & Suites over Thanksgiving BEFORE I read a very negative review of that property on this site. That had me worried but our experience was nothing like the other reviewer.

We arrived earlier than the stated check-in time but that was no problem for the staff, they cheerfully registered us and let us have our room a couple of hours early.

I will grant the carpeting is getting a little worn in the room we had and the cleaner they use to clean the hard surface flooring was a little sticky but our room was very clean and appealing. We had a beautiful view of the creek behind the hotel and of a gorgeous liquid amber tree (I think) that was turning beautiful red and gold and shades in between.

We had a mini-suite with a king size bed and a love seat sized couch - very comfortable and roomy.

There was less ambient noise (i.e. shower noise from adjacent rooms, kids being kids, elevator or ice machine noise) than in most properties I've been to (we generally go to hotels of this caliber 2-4 times per year), although we were close to the elevator and I know there were kids in nearby rooms.

We didn't use the pool or other facilities but I saw there were several families whose kids were using the pool and nobody seemed to be complaining about it.

Breakfast served in most AAA 3 star hotels is now pretty much expanded continental plan and everything we had was fresh and delicious. Good bagels, sweet rolls, fresh made waffles, sausage patties, fresh and canned fruits, other toast and cereal (hot & cold). The only eggs available were some "hockey puck" eggs that I didn't try but my wife did and she thought they were pretty good.

I'd highly recommend Phoenix Inn & Suites to the reader.

• Liked — overall ambience and location in Eugene (Oregon)
  • Disliked — They should find some other floor cleaning solution that is not sticky and they're going to need to upgrade some carpeting soon.
  • Tips/Secrets — Book early and if you're being a tourist to the area try to be there when U. of O. is on recess to avoid crowds.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank HardlyHikin
Beverly Hills, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2006

I booked 3 nights in Jacuzzi room to relax because I had a heart proceedure next day in hospital. Asked for quiet room due to disability and illness. So many problems, will just list: 1. Lobby needed vacuuming and dusting- cheap faded DIRTY plastic plants adorned everything. Windows and floor-dirty.2. Long walk from parking lot 3. Blood on bedspread in room. Houskeeper said it was grape jelly (I worked in surgery in a hospital). 4. bathroom floor had goopy dried urine around toilet- horrible smell. Front desk said housekeeping gone but they would bring me a cloth to clean it myself. 5. A few hours after using Jacuzzi, became very uncomfortable with an infection in private parts- had to go to drug store to get medicine costing $40. 6. Front desk put young kids and teens right next door who proceeded to scream and party, bang the doors constantly and run up and down the hall until 2 am. I called frnt desk from 11pm to 2am asking them to please do something. The walls are very thin and one can hear everything down the hall and in room above. They offered to move me, but I was too ill and asked why don't they move the offenders. Nothing was done. I checked out next morning instead of staying- they never offered to reduce price for all the problems-they said they didn't have that authority and didn't know how the manager could be reached. I will NEVER go back. P.S. More not very nice things things happened, but tired of writing about this place. This looked the best on the internet- but it's NOT. They don't keep it clean and they dont care about you. Sorry, but that was my experience.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Unclean place and uncaring, rude staff
  • Tips/Secrets — Days Inn is nicer and just down the street