“Way over rated”

Voodoo Doughnut
Ranked #2 of 14 Bakeries in Eugene
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Trip Advisor lists the two Portland locations for this Food Network phenomenon, but not the Eugene location.
Reviewed April 24, 2014

The donuts are simply okay. Lines are long and I don't know what the fuss is all about. The images are somewhat scary and can be inappropriate for young children. Not impressed.

Reviewed April 16, 2014

Fun little doughnut shop! I like the peach fritter, minus some of the cream cheese topping and the Voodoo Dolls, which have plenty of filling. Definitely a once in awhile treat.

1  Thank Lisa R
Reviewed April 15, 2014

If you want a crazy doughnut, this is the place for you! The doughnuts are of high quality but a little too sweet for me. I like to laugh about and eat these doughnuts, but I often have to leave some frosting behind.

Reviewed April 6, 2014

Ugh....I love Voodoo Doughnuts! We are HUGE fans! Perhaps because the service at the Portland locations has always been spot on for us I was more disappointed, as I had something to compare it to. First of all walking in, there was a good starting of a line (about 8 people ahead of us) and no movement and no employee in sight. No stranger to a line at Voodoo we were patient. Apparently, the employee was in the back doing...something...it's hard to see as there is a huge barrier. She finally returned after what seemed like 10 minutes, so perhaps it was only 5. Still a long time for Voodoo. She moved a brown wooden box at the register and then disappeared again. Finally, the line is starting to talk, eye roll and communicate with the stranger next to them in comradery and....even more people have walked in. Not exaggerating there were now 17 people that I could see in line (it was going out the door, which again is not unusual for Voodoo...but there is always a flurry of movement at the register). The gentleman in front of us starts looking for the employee, finally locates her and finds out they are waiting for change for a $20.00. We all started to wonder at 5:00 in the evening, at a cash only establishment, how you can need change for a $20.00. Finally and thankfully, a customer in line comes up with change, the line starts moving and we're up. I find that out of the many dairy free (vegan) doughnuts listed on the menu, there are only a small smattering available. This again has NEVER happened in Portland. Finally, after I go through a list of three doughnuts I would like to order and they don't have, the male employee who moments before returned with change, explains that they usually only have the vegan doughnuts on the weekend. Not sure where Sunday falls in the week, but pretty sure I call it part of the "weekend", and if it's simply a specialty weekend item for Eugene Voodoo...shouldn't that be listed on the menu as such? Over all, the decor and menu are all the Voodoo we all know and love, but the service and selection were lacking. As far as customer service goes, people usually don't mind waiting if they understand why they are waiting, and there was no communication as to the problem of no change until the line was out the door. I gave this a "poor" rating as opposed to "terrible" since the 2 others in my group were able to get the doughnuts they wanted, and the doughnut I ended up with was the usual Voodoo goodness. However, I doubt we'll be back to the Eugene location and we'll stick to getting our Voodoo fix in Portland. Still love Voodoo....just Eugene...not so much.

1  Thank johnniegirl64
Reviewed April 3, 2014

We visited the Voodoo in Eugene last Saturday after the Jason Mraz concert at Hult Center. Only a 3 block hop skip and jump from the venue. I have been waiting to try Voodoo for years so I was a bit disappointed to find they only had a selection of 5 different doughnuts at 10:30pm on a night they are open 24 hours. We didn't get to try any of the most popular selections. We got a chocolate cake doughnut with coconut on top, a chocolate cake doughnut with chocolate frosting, and chocolate cake doughnut with butterfinger on top. Luckily I love cake style doughnuts and Voodoo ranks #2 for the best chocolate cake doughnut I have ever had.

I would go again but only if I was close. I wouldn't make a special trip because there is a chance that they wouldn't have any of their signature styles to try.