“Good doughnuts and no line!”
Review of Voodoo Doughnut

Voodoo Doughnut
Ranked #2 of 15 Bakeries in Eugene
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Trip Advisor lists the two Portland locations for this Food Network phenomenon, but not the Eugene location.
Hawaii
“Good doughnuts and no line!”
Reviewed September 16, 2011

We found the Eugene Voodoo doughnuts pretty easy. Parking is on the street. Once we walked to the store, there was no line! We got our two boxes of assorted doughnuts and were back at our car in less than 20 minutes. There were lots of cars on the streets and many people walking around, although I would not go down there at night unless I was with a lot of people. The doughnuts are the same as in Portland and are very tasty.

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank T W

• Korean first
Eugene, Oregon
“I don't even like doughnuts”
Reviewed September 5, 2011

Seriously, I don't. I have never been a fan. But, my family was gung-ho to try this place and I went. They all get different flavors, I just picked out a plain glazed doughnut. AMAZING!!!! Way better than Krispie Kremes. My family all enjoyed their weird flavors. I marked it down a level though because some of the different doughnuts had offensive connotations and the atmosphere and service was sub par.

• Visited August 2011
Santa Cruz, California
“Lots of fun, and great doughnuts too”
Reviewed July 30, 2011

First a small caveat: If you're traveling with prudish relatives, this may not be your place (ditto for very small children, unless you're comfortable answering questions about pastries with names such as "The Gay Bar."). That said, Voodoo is a must-visit for any doughnut lover who happens to find him/herself in Eugene or Portland.

We first heard of Voodoo Doughnuts on The Food Network, and my daughter and I were really excited to learn that our motel in Eugene was just a short distance away. Eschewing the usual motel breakfast, we instead took ourselves off to Voodoo for a bit of self-indulgence.

The shop is very easy to find, and there's plenty of parking around (metered parking in front of the store, but there's free street parking a block or so before). It's open 24/7, so no worries if you're an early riser or a late-night sweets craver.

Inside, the decor is quirky and fun. There are several places to sit on sofas scattered around the main room.

Ah, but you want to know about the doughnuts, right? Well, first off, some of them are HUGE! While they do have some more regularly-sized doughnuts (the aforementioned "gay bar" is about the size of a standard maple bar), some of their specialty items are easily big enough for two (or even three, if you have a light appetite or are dieting...though if you're dieting, maybe a doughnut shop isn't the best place to be eating). In fact, my daughter and I nibbled on the two gigantic goodies we bought throughout the day as we drove from Eugene to Spokane, skipping both lunch and dinner (may not have been the most nutritious road trip ever, but it sure was fun!).

They have many innovative flavor combinations. If I lived nearby, I would certainly give several of them a try, particularly the "Mango Tango" (a raised yeast doughnut filled with mango jelly and topped with vanilla frosting and "Tang") and the "Old Dirty B*****d" (a raised yeast doughnut topped with chocolate frosting, Oreos and peanut butter). I would also probably be very fat, but that's another story!

On this trip I had the "Memphis Mafia"...a wonderful concoction of cinnamon-sugar glazed fried dough stuffed with real banana chunks and topped with generous amounts of chocolate, peanuts, and peanut butter. The flavors were spot-on...the chocolate and peanut butter were rich and creamy, the dough was nicely crisp and tender in all the right places, and the bananas added a wonderful flavor and moistness to the whole thing. My daughter got a doughnut with a name I can't mention here, but which is essentially a giant chocolate-frosted Bavarian cream doughnut shaped like...well, you can see it on the website. Lots of chocolate, and the cream was luscious (yes, we shared bites, and each of us thought ours was the best).

Voodoo does not take cards, so you'll want to have cash with you (there is an ATM in the store, but there's a small fee to use it). As I mentioned earlier, they're open 24/7. In addition to the shop in Eugene, they have two locations in Portland. Oh yes...they also do weddings! Definitely a must-visit on your next trip to Oregon.

• Visited July 2011