“Nice and clean, but working out the kinks of being a new hotel”

Red Lion Inn and Suites Eugene
Ranked #22 of 35 Hotels in Eugene
Gladstone, Oregon
“Nice and clean, but working out the kinks of being a new hotel”
Reviewed January 19, 2010

Compared to many hotels on the same street, this is among the tops. Mostly because it is new and therefore VERY clean! It's close to restaurants and an easy walk to UO campus or downtown. I loved having wireless internet in my room. The bed was super comfy and the desk spacious. The wet bar sink was nice even if I didn't need to use it. I was glad to have a microwave and fridge as well.

The cons are that the parking spaces are narrow and there are not enough spaces in the event the hotel is full. I was there for two nights and my room was not serviced in the middle of my stay. I inquired at the front desk when I checked out and they said they've been short on maids and I was probably overlooked. I didn't need my room cleaned, but still. The other negative is that while they have a free continental breakfast from 6 - 9 a.m., there really wasn't much left at 8:15 a.m. That was disappointing.

Despite the cons I will definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank OregonTraveler7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Midwest
Reviewed November 17, 2009

This is certainly one of the nicest hotels in the Eugene area. The rooms are beautifully appointed and luxurious with plump comforters, thick carpet, flatscreen TVs, refrigerator and microwave. Carpeted inside entry and quality construction make for a quiet stay. Helpful employees who bend over backwards to please. Convenient location. We loved this place!!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank Wunderluster
San Leandro, CA
Reviewed October 5, 2009

I needed a place to stay for one night on 10/1/09. I called the hotel directly and booked through "Chris" who was very professional and courteous. After 12 hours on the road I was pretty beat so when I got there Chris got me checked in and walked me to the room to verify a king bed and tub were there (my request for both items but he wanted to make sure I didn't have any problems...very nice).

Then, while I wheeled my suitcase towards the front door from the parking lot, he (Chris) jumped up from behind the desk and opened the door for me...pretty cool, he didn't have to do that. There is covered and open parking available here.

My room was comfortable and you could tell the place was very new (I think he said they had been open four months). It had a nice-sized bathroom with a shower/tub and, while this may seem like a small thing, the shower curtain rod was curved to the exterior so that when taking a shower the shower curtain didn't "suck in" and stick to my shulder like in other showers. I am 6'-3" tall and the shower head was above my head by several inches (also a big plus if you are tall and ever had to do the "limbo" to take your shower). There was adequate hot water although they should consider a circulating pump as I needed to let it run about 20 seconds to get good, hot water but once I did, it didn't run out (and I filled the tub then showered).

The room had a fridge and microwave as well as a large (around 27", maybe?) TV. The king bed was VERY comfortable and there was an HVAC unit in the room that worked very well (of course, everything is almost brand new!).

There was an ice machine on the first floor as well as two stairwells and an elevator. In the morning they served a continental breakfast that included fruit, yogurt, hot and cold cereal, muffins/toast/english muffins, juice, cofffee, tea, etc. It was nice and I scarfed down without anyone giving me the "look" like I am depleting all their food or something.

Across the street is a pretty decent local Mexican restaurant and bar with both indoor and outdoor seating. I had dinner and a couple margaritas over there at the bar and met some nice people I chatted with for a couple hours. Eugene is somewhat of a college town so the scene had some college aged "kids" there. Also across the street was a 7-11 open 24 hours a day although I didn't have a need to go over there.

Access to Hwy 5 was easy and close by. Overall my experience was very favorable. Kudos to Chris for all that he did...he is a good man. I felt welcome and everything being so clean and new was also a big plus. I would stay there again if I ever get up that way...they did a great job!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo