“not bad-under $100.oo during oregon country fair-but a few blips, mostly regarding elite member checkout times.”

Red Lion Inn and Suites Eugene
Ranked #23 of 37 Hotels in Eugene
somwhere in the southwest
Reviewed July 23, 2011

ist question: where is the in rom coffee pot? there isnt one.(this is most unusual for a choice property IMO). the good: I was able to reserve a room during oregin country fair for under a hundred on choicehotels.com..I got there a but early, but the on duty clerk let me store my luggage while i went to lunch at steelhead and bought my OCF ticket at the hult center-(all within a midling walk-over by the amtrak station)-the hotel itslef is within a reasonable distance of amtrak,, the main citibus transfer point, and (ugh) greyhound-(that last one makes the neighbor hood 'ahem' colorful-in other words, even tho the area is not unsafe per se, it behooves one to lock the car up properly in the general area.-my room was HUGE-it even had a little wet bar-there were 5, count them, 5 pillows on the bed-which was also HUGE.the continental breakfast needs work-no sweets, just 'nutritious' stuff-one juice tap doesnrt work, apparently.& the coffee could stnad more oomph(basically the hotel breakfast succeeded in carls jr selling me a burrito).the lobby courtesy PC is at no additional charge. there is cable,(satellite?), with quite a few channels-but only one movie channel-something called 'movieplex'-which seems to specialise in early 90s fare-jaws 3, etc)no PPV available. my mastercard was not billed one penny over the price qouted me by choice, however, there is a sign on the lobby desk stating that cash customers will be asked for a $200.oo deposit-this is NOT noted in the confirmation email sent by choice.-I prefer to pay cash, but I was not in the mood to fight about it on my day of stay.(rob doesnt like to leave 'deposits'(esepecially ones in excess of 200% of the rooms value), because he knows how difficult the can be to retrieve)-now, HERES the blip: at check in-i requested a choice platinum late checkout of noon-the clerk said he noted it for am staff..-my phone was ringing at 11:18.at 12:07, my door was being banged on.-I was just getting it together, and trying to watch ONE bugs bunny cartoon, (the one with the penguin & humphrey bogart, that i've NEVER seen all the way thru), but alas it was not to be.--I sort of figured the whole POINT of having elite membership was to get a few minutes felxibility at check in-checkout (at least thats what the chain website likes to imply).--I wouldnt NOT stay here again, -as its good overall-but those two minor things should be addressed, IMO.-there is no pool, but there is a treadmill room, and the laundry mat, and the vending machines all cost a dollar each.-pop machine has drpepper available-but so does mickeyy ds next door for same price

Room Tip: book online, at choice website NOT thru resellers such as expensivepedia or priceslime, in person/di...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
frontdesk599, Front Office Manager at Red Lion Inn and Suites Eugene, responded to this review, July 25, 2011
Rob,
Thank you for taking the time to reiview our hotel on Tripadvisor. We appreciate the imput. We strive to make our breakfast as healthy as possible. The elite membership has its advantages, room upgrades at no cost, extended checkout times,also member only discounts. All of these benefits are subject to availability.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Roseburg, Oregon
Reviewed July 14, 2011

I searched online for a long time before I booked this hotel. I had a family member getting married and we needed a place to stay for just one night. I have worked at the front desk at a hotel before and since then I haven become a bit picky, because I have learned the difference between good and bad service at a hotel. So I really just wanted a clean, decent place to stay. When I read the reviews this hotel seemed like one of the best and the prices were pretty good too. When we checked in it was pretty late and every parking spot was full. I was a little worried but there was a few parking spaces to the side of the building and we ended up parking there. I was a little worried about if we could park there or not because of the sign saying what hours you can park there. We went inside and the lobby was very pretty it seemed like a good sign that the room would be nice as well. We asked the guy at the front desk about parking and he reassured us that parking there would be fine. He then got us our keys and took our payment, he was very nice and very helpful. We rode the elevator to the 3rd floor where our room was located and when we walked in I was very excited, sometimes when you look at pictures of rooms on the internet they are nicer and cleaner looking in the pictures, but it looked just like the pictures. The rooms were so nice and I cant believe how much we paid for such a nice room! It was very clean and oh did I check. The furniture was very nice looking, the sheets and the comforter were nice looking and very clean. The tv had a nice amount of channels and they had free internet. The bed was very comfortable and it was quiet, I never heard my neighbors even in the morning. We didn't end up eating breakfast there we decided to sleep in a bit, but I saw pictures of it and what they offered and it seemed like it would be just as wonderful. When we were checking out the lady at the desk was just as nice as the guy the night before. This hotel has excellent service and I would recommend it to anyone who needed a place to stay in Eugene. I know that we will be back the next time we need a room in Eugene!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Orange County
Reviewed July 3, 2011

This is a modestly priced, modestly appointed hotel that met our needs just fine. It is clean and comfortable. It's conveniently within walking distance of U or Oregon.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
frontdesk599, Front Office Manager at Red Lion Inn and Suites Eugene, responded to this review, July 5, 2011
MomfromtheOC,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We strive for cleanliness, and customer service above all else. We look forward to serving you in your future lodging needs.
Imnaha, Oregon
Reviewed June 23, 2011

The staff was pleasant and friendly. But my first impression was not positive. While checking in I saw the the desk behind the reception area was very messy and unprofessional with stacks of loose papers and books. I wondered if the rooms would be in the same condition.

However the room was very nice, clean and quiet. We all slept well on the comfortable queen size beds. The room included a microwave oven and a refrigerator and the bath had all the basic necessities (i.e. soap, shampoo, conditioner, lotion). The room also had a reading chair in a corner which when used did not interfere with the others who slept.

The location was close the OU campus and downtown Eugene which allowed easy access to all the restaurants and shops.

The biggest complaint I had was the advertised free wireless internet service. We were on the 3rd floor and the service was virtually non-existent. When we could access the internet the signal was so weak we would lose the signal after only minutes of internet access. When I called the service number the offices were closed (Sunday). However, my nephew on the 2nd floor had the same problem so the problem was not limited to us.

If the wireless problem is corrected I would definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Anacortes, WA
Reviewed June 13, 2011

I almost hate to write a good review for this hotel because I don't want them to get so popular that it's hard to get a room -- or their prices go up! We've stayed at much more expensive hotels in the area but the only thing they had that was better than this hotel was a bigger breakfast selection. For the huge difference in price we can get a lot of breakfast -- and the Original Pancake House is right down the street!!! (I actually like to order a well-done Sausage McMuffin at the McDonald's right next door and a good strong cup of coffee. The only negative about this hotel is they don't have coffee makers in their rooms so you have to go to the lobby, then the coffee is terribly weak. Also, their parking is very tight. We have a handicapped parking card so have always found a parking place in front of the door but others have had to scrunch in to the tiny parking lot or perhaps park on the street. We really like this hotel, though, and never consider staying elsewhere anymore. Oh, I finally realized that if we get a room with a king bed (vs. 2 queens) there is room for more sitting furniture and that is very nice!!!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Jeffersonville, IN
Reviewed June 13, 2011

What a pleasant surprise on a trip already made heaven-like by the atmosphere and people in 'Track Town, USA.' The amenities at the Sleep Inn far exceeded my expectations and the assistance and friendliness of Shanna, Joel, Jon, and Randy at the Front Desk help to enhance my stay. I look forward to returning to Eugene and will start my 'accommodations' search with the Sleep Inn.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed May 19, 2011

My wife and I were in town for the Eugene Marathon and we were pleased to find such a great rate, even on an extremely crowded weekend. Since the race started/ended at the university, the hotel was conveniently located. Due to being on a main street with a concrete median, it can be a little difficult getting in to the parking lot. And while I'm on the topic of the parking lot, it is very cramped and crowded. I was always able to find a spot, although it appeared that if you were to arrive late in the evening, there may not be a spot available.

My biggest complaint would have to be the customer service, namely from the front desk agent SHAUNA. We called a couple of days before our arrival with a few simple questions and were shocked at Shauna's rude demeanor as if we had inconvenienced her by calling. We wanted to see if they would be serving breakfast early since we (and the numerous other racers staying there) needed to leave the hotel by 6am. Shauna replied abruptly that breakfast would be served at 6am as usual. This turned out to be false but I'm not sure if she had been misinformed or simply didn't care enough to look for the correct information. We had the misfortune of meeting Shauna at the front desk on the day we arrived. We were a few hours before scheduled check-in so we inquired if a room might be available early. Without even blinking an eye, she told us that check-in was at 3pm, no exceptions. We asked if we could at least check our bags until check-in since I didn't want to leave them in the car. Again I was shocked when her snotty response was, "I have no place to put them!" Frustrated, we left to get food and wait until we could check in.

When we returned, we were pleased to see CHRIS at the front desk. His customer service was beyond excellent, as described by other previous reviews. He was very personable and we could tell it was his goal to make sure every guest enjoyed their stay. When we mentioned we were there for the race, he made sure we knew they were serving breakfast early. We even overheard him make multiple phone calls when trying to help a guest locate a mechanic who would be open on Sunday.

The spacious room was in great shape and very clean. It had a microwave and small refrigerator, although the fridge wasn't turned on when we got there. Luckily we noticed before too long and it wasn't a big deal, but it's something to keep an eye open for. There was a little street noise but I never once heard a train. The beds were comfortable and we slept great. I was also pleased with the quality of their free wi-fi. Our room appeared to be located directly above the lobby which is where the wireless router was located. So while we constantly had a strong wi-fi signal, I can't tell you what the quality is like on the other end of the hotel.

Overall, it's a nice hotel and you can definitely tell that it is fairly new. If you're looking for value without sacrificing quality, cleanliness and comfort, this is a great option. Don't expect five star service and consider yourself lucky if you get to meet Chris.

One final word of warning, the elevator HAS to be the slowest one in existence. I'm not really complaining since it's not the hotel's fault but it's definitely something to keep in mind if you're in a hurry.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DisneylandAficionado
frontdesk599, Front Office Manager at Red Lion Inn and Suites Eugene, responded to this review, May 31, 2011
Thank you for the constructive criticism. We appreciate all feedback, good or bad. The problems you have stated have been addressed. We look forward to serving you in the future.