“easy hiking”
Review of Mount Pisgah

Mount Pisgah
Ranked #9 of 91 things to do in Eugene
More attraction details
Owner description: A popular mountain for runners with paths taking you up 1,500 feet.
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I was visiting my sister who just moved to the area. We did NOT hike to the top as we didn't feel we'd have time. We hiked around the trails a bit, though, and even carried lunch, thinking we'd find a great place to have lunch, but we didn't. We tried to stay on shady trails but you are definitely out in the sun some of the time, no matter what you do. We ended up eating our lunch down at the picnic tables. We were all confused by the word "arboretum" because we all thought that meant an indoor plant/flower place, but after looking up the definition we realized it can mean outdoor too. It wasn't as nice as I was led to believe but it was pretty easy hiking.

1  Thank Sandy K
There are newer reviews for Mount Pisgah

Reviewed July 11, 2012

The famous words of George Mallory to describe the reason for climbing Mt. Everest also seem applicable to Mt. Pisgah. I was born in Eugene almost 50 years ago and for the life of me I don't see the draw of this place.

First, it is really a knob and not a Mount. It is a foothill close to town that draws crowds, including lots of people with dogs and people in their new hiking gear that act like they are climbing Mt. Everest.

Second, the primary "trail" to the top is really a road. The climb is just a long slog on gravel punctuated by some nice views of powerlines and enough poison oak to infect the whole planet multiple times. Many "green" visitors seem oblivious to the poison oak as they walk thru it on the side of the trail.

Third, the crowd is like going to an urban park. Don't expect your adventuresome types who know how to get off the beaten path to enjoy pristine surroundings. We recently found people flying kites, throwing frisbees and some smoking weed on the summit.

Fourth, I get that it is managed to be an Oak Savanna like which use to exist throughout the Willamette Valley. However, I'd take one of the local hikes thru evergreens any day of the week over Mt. Pisgah.

The only explanation I can come up with for making this climb a regular activity is "because it's there" close to town.

3  Thank FenwickPeriwinkle
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We had our wedding reception here many years ago, and attended a wedding in their fancy new group facility in the recent past. What a wonderful place!

We also hike there fairly frequently. Many people hike the steep trail to the top (Summit Trail, I think it's called). It gives you a nice view at the end, but isn't as interesting on the way up (lack of vegetation also make it hot in the summer). There are many other options, including paths through wildflowers along the river and moderate hikes through the forest (which loop and interconnect with each other, so you can decide how long of a hike you want to make it). It's an absolute gem for seeing flora and birds.

Note that there is a $3 fee to park.

1  Thank VeganRoadrunner
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Beautiful trail close to UO campus. It's steep, but worth it.

Reviewed June 27, 2012

This is a place to make your heart sing. The view, the flora. the creatures, crawley, flighty and burrowing. Short, medium and long hikes on super trails. Take a picnic and feel that you have left the hussle and bussle of life. (please correct spelling)

Been to Mount Pisgah? Share your experiences!