“Really nice hostel!”

Eugene Whiteaker Hostel
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Really nice hostel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2010

I stayed here for two nights Summer 2009 on my way to Washington State. They were fully booked when I called, but luckily I phoned back and they had had a last minute weekend cancellation so I got in. It was one of the best hostels I've been to and the most affordable $22 or $24 a night aprox includes sheets. I slept on a top bunk (argh I'm middle aged) in the girls dormroom up the steep stairs 2nd floor and one of my 3 roommates got up at 5am so I didn't get the best sleep the first night. At the moment I don't remember train noise. Our bathroom was connected to the dormroom (good), and the room had a little balcony with view which was nice. Parking was free on the street, I had to park a ways down the street and walk/carry bags.

Downstairs on the main floor there's a book room with free internet and an entire music/band room with instruments and a foosball machine (I won). I seem to remember a pretty garden area out back but that part is hazy. A full kitchen with free pancakes and coffee for breakfast. I don't eat pancakes in the morning but all the other guests including kids enjoyed it. I like that the kitchen is open to guests cos I've gotta have morning chai. There was also a table area where some of us gathered in the evening. Most guests were there for the big yearly music festival - really nice people to meet, moms and kids too.The hostel staff seemed aloof, pre-occupied and self-absorbed but male hostel staff usually do unless you're a pretty 20-year old female and then they fall all over themselves. I would like to see less age-ism in the USA.

I drove West an hour to Florence on the Oregon Coast as I was missing the ocean and hoping for a great fish dinner, was totally underwhelmed - I don't recommend it, silty, flat, no view beach and bad seafood.

Hostel had a nice old dog. I think they make guests leave at 11am but one day they let me stay and hang out cos I was staying over again. It was a relaxing, mini-vacation and one of the best hostels I've stayed in. I strongly believe all hostels should use plastic mattress covers for guest protection - they didn't have them then I hope they do now. I bring my own if I have any doubts about the mattress. My only worry about ANY hostel and even expensive hotels is that they are (sadly) going green and not using 160 degree hot water and bleach daily to wash linens and towels.

The affordable alternative to staying at a hostel in Eugene is hotels starting at $55 and up. For me, I would MUCH rather save my money and stay in a hostel and the Whiteaker was a really good choice.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank heckynoodle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2010

I came to this hostel with my boyfriend and best friend to attend a festival. Mac, the owner, was very nice and generous. The rest of the staff was sooo nice and helpful. The place itself is like living in someone's house. Very comfortable,cozy, wonderful, inexpensive, fun staff, community kitchen, near station (trains can be loud at night) , clean, & just awesome! I would recommend it to anyone whether solo or friends or partners. If you like a community feel and atmosphere this is the place to be!

• Stayed July 2010
Pahoa, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2009

My wife and I are middle aged and some hostels have too much of a "partying" atmosphere and sometimes are real clean. The Whiteaker Hostel is friendly, professionally run, quiet, clean, and very pleasant. We had a room next to the office with a private bath. No complaints at all - it was quiet at night - some have mentioned a train and I think I was aware of some train noise, but it sure didn't wake me up.

The staff are great. The kitchen is clean and even had free stuff to cook for the guests. Nothing fancy, but oatmeal and coffee hit the spot.

They do have single and dorms and at least one two bedroom with a small kitchen (for $67) which we will use when we travel with another couple.

It's close enough to walk to interesting places. We walked several blocks to a glass blowing shop and took our time looking around and went to a soul food place and then the Tiny Tavern. Good trip and good place to stay.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Upstate SC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2009

My husband and I have stayed in hostels in Europe but this was our first stay in a US hostel. We stayed two nights in an en-suite room and we were pleased with so much about this place: it was clean, everyone was very welcoming, the kitchen was well arranged and a great place to cook meals (they even have a garden out back with lettuces, strawberries, tomatoes, etc. for the guests), the bed was comfortable, parking was available on the street, there was internet access with a guest computer, and a projection system with lots of DVD's to choose from. Breakfast was provided (make your own pancakes or waffles/coffee and tea). The hostel and the neighborhood were very quiet and I felt quite safe. I especially appreciated that guests were encouraged to recycle and that they compost food scraps.
I was worried, being from SC, because we were there on two especially warm days and they have no airconditioning. But it cooled down at night so that the temperature in our room was very comfortable.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank UpstateSCRose
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2009

The Eugene hostel was well managed and organized. Free internet and wifi access, pancakes and coffee available in the morning, well-labeled kitchen. At first I was unsure whether my sheets were fresh, but the spotless kitchen and bathrooms gave me a comfort level. The Annex a few blocks away has space for camping, a fun porch for folks to hang out. The main building had a music performance one evening. Access late at night by code, so the area had a safe feel. Several restaurants, coffee shops, and a grocery are only a few blocks away. Nice, welcoming feel.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo