“Great for a Hostel”

Eugene Whiteaker Hostel
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great for a Hostel”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We stayed in 'The Loft', so our experience will differ from most, but the lodgings were excellent for the price. We basically had our own apartment on the upper floor of the hostel's second building. It was quiet and comfortable with a private kitchen and bath, and would be a great place for an extended stay in Eugene. That being said, it's still a hostel and isn't like staying in a nice hotel or B&B, but the management was friendly and the location convenient. The loft bedroom could use a reading lamp that works and a little more room around the bed for access, and the bathroom and kitchen could use a little TLC, but we'd definitely return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 28, 2013

After staying in the dorms at the University of Oregon with my son as he was going through Freshman orientation, we decided to take in some of the sights, sounds, drink, and food of the Whiteaker Neighborhood. We stayed in the Whiteaker Hostel for two nights and enjoyed every minute and have some memories that my son and I can share for the rest of our lives. The bedroom was well kept and clean, as was our private bathroom. We reserved the Captains Quarters online with no problems because it had the private bathroom. Staying at the Whiteaker Hostel was not anything like the Ritz, The Peninsula Hong Kong, the Betsy-South Beach or any other boutique hotel or brand. However, it has a lot of charm and character and is a must stay to experience Eugene and the Whiteaker Neighborhood. The Whiteaker Hostel is a brand of its own. The owner, his dog, hostel staff, neighbors, and people we met at the hostel all made us feel welcome. The first night we stayed was the "Art Walk" and the hostel had two live music performances and some tasty beer from Ninkasi Brewing Company which is a stones throw from the hostel. A number of the alternative artists from the Whiteaker Neighborhood opened up their studios for viewing. The musicians that performed at the hostel that night also happened to live next door to the hostel. One musician on each side of the hostel. We walked around the neighborhood on a number of occasions and took in some funky architecture, art, landscapes, and home decor among other sights. We also walked down to the Willamette River bike trail, and had the opportunity to try two great restaurants, Papa's Soul Food and Izakaya Meiji also a stones throw from the hostel. If you want to experience some Whiteaker Neighborhood culture and charm, book a room or bed and keep an open mind. If you want the service and amenities of a high end hotel, boutique hotel, or economy comfort stay (LOL) this is not the stay for you. Thanks for the memories Mac!

Room Tip: If you want some additional privacy, book the "Captains Quarters". Laundry facilities and...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Vermont
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I needed a place to sleep at night while out all day visiting with my son, and I got a whole lot more at the Whiteaker Hostel. The staff is so wonderfully kind, attentive, and accommodating. The hostel location is in walking and bike riding distance to anything that matters. Convenient on-site bike rental was an added treat. Opting to eat out, I declined the use of the kitchen but was impressed by the generous offer. A good cup of coffee was ready every morning. I stayed in the private room in the women's dorm. The private room had a bed and closet (bring your own hangers) and shares the bathroom with four other dorm occupants. Because everyone is so active and seldom in the dorm room, there was no waiting for bathroom use. Other guests in the hostel were respectful of space and quiet. I look forward to my next visit. Thank you all.

1 Thank ThistledownVermont
Lomita, California
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I came down for The Country Fair. I stayed 3 nights and I had a great time. I loved the Hostel, the location was very cool and arty. I highly recommend Poppas Soul Food restaurant just around the corner. You will also want to take some pictures of the houses on the block as they are all so unique, odd and cool. Everybody was friendly, place was clean, coffee was always hot and ready in the mornings.

New York City, New York
Reviewed July 9, 2013

What a great hostel! At the hostel I met the coolest people-ever!! The Whiteaker Hostel is a must see in the Oregon area. Great value, camraderie, and safety make this a definite stop on your Northwest destination. The Whiteaker neighborhood in of itself is worth the price of admission. Everyone at the hostel super friendly and helpful-at the end of my stay I felt like an old friend. There is shopping close by, and the local nightlife is accessible and affordable. Easily the best value for your hard earned dollar/euro, the hostel provides free coffee, breakfast, Sunday pot luck dinner's, and a welcoming attitude. Mac, the owner, is attentive to all the smallest details, from hemp soap in the bathroom to the fire pit outside. Also, the neighbors around the hostel are some of the coolest people I ever met. I would definitely recommend, and can't wait to go back!!
NY

Room Tip: Just call and talk to the friendly staff. You can't go wrong at the Whit!!
Almelo, The Netherlands
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Lovely hostel! I ended up staying for two weeks, and had a great time! The hostel has a very good atmosphere and a great and friendly owner and staff! I like the location in the Whiteaker neighbourhood, there's a grocery store very close, the river is nearby and downtown is a good walk. The rooms, kitchen and common area's are all good. The decoration and art give the hostel a cozy and awesome look. I can definitely recommend this place! I'm gonna miss it!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 2, 2013

The hostel is in a great neighborhood and the staff is really helpful and friendly. They were very accommodating for us. When I come back to Eugene I will only ever stay there! The art and culture of the hostel and the neighborhood are a must see.

• Stayed May 2013