“My gf and I went into Sushi Ya one hour...”
Review of Sushi Ya

Sushi Ya
Ranked #154 of 635 Restaurants in Eugene
Cuisines: Sushi
Reviewed June 23, 2010

My gf and I went into Sushi Ya one hour before closing. The second we walked in it became clear that the service was going to suck. It didn't feel professional and the waiter said we could sit wherever. He later brought us menus and we waited a half hour for him to come back and get our order while he talked and bs'd with the cook and Sushi chef out loud. There was only one other couple in there. So he got our order, the food took another 20 minutes. The food was mediocre, small portions for such a high price. The miso soup was good. But my food was prepared sloppily. My gf's food was nothing but spice. During our time there the employees were talking really loud and being obnoxious. The music was 99.1 ick. It took forever to get a check that was hand written. My gf asked for a to-go box and he just tossed it on top of my food. The guy was an [--]. 33.90 for both of us and it was
terrible service. Never going back. First time I've never tipped. Expensive, boring food and atmosphere. Service was lame, slow, and unfriendly

2  Thank Metalluthier

Reviewed August 19, 2009

If you want pretty good sushi- go there. Otherwise, stay away from the kitchen food. Monday-Thursday the kitchen chef there doesn't speak English and has a hard time making decent tasting food. The portions are small and the prices are big. The chicken and beef are the lowest grade of meat available to restaurants and costs a fraction of the price they charge you. Everything else in the restaurant's kitchen is pre-made days before or frozen before being cooked. The sushi itself is good. Fresh, and if made by the right chef really good. The best nights to go there if you want it made by the experts is Thursday-Sunday. And let me tell you about the service- on busy nights they are understaffed. That's why it may be slow. If you sit at the sushi bar- the servers do not get tipped. If you leave money for the server it will go to the sushi chef on top of what you may have already tipped them. The servers tip out 25% of what they make each night to the rest of the staff (including the sushi chefs on top of what they already get themselves at the bar). And if you get there right before they close (within a half hour) you will be told that the sushi bar and kitchen will be closing soon. Sometimes the owners send the kitchen chef home early and close the kitchen way before the restaurant is supposed to be closed. It is not the waiters'/waitresses' fault. The owner does not like to pay them past closing time and they are highly encouraged to get out fast, even to the point of not being able to finish cleaning at the end of the night.

Reviewed July 21, 2009

My friends and I stumbled into Sushi Ya after a day on the river. I live in Portland and love my sushi. We sat up at the bar and the sushi chef made us the best sushi I've had in a long time. The fish was excellent and the friendly atmosphere and genuine enjoyment he got our of making us the best dinner I've eaten in years actually made MY meal more special. Maybe that's just the well-chosen sake talking but this really was a tremendously great meal. I highly recommend this place. I can see the negative reviews but these must be from an earlier period in this restaurant's history.
- Gorch Foch, Portland OR

Reviewed July 12, 2009

Not an idea place for a quick lunch, but if you have the time to wait a bit or you go when it's not busy, the food is really good and fresh. I go there often because I know when to go and am never disappointed. They have some specialty sushi rolls that are amazing and their soups are huge and average priced for Japanese food.

Service never fails to be the downside here. The staff is friendly; they're just not always efficient. However, when last they messed up our order by making the wrong sushi roll, they quickly caught the mistake on their own and gave us the option to eat the wrong roll for free while the right roll was quickly prepared. Their friendly demeanor, atmosphere, and food make up for their lack of efficient service.

Reviewed February 15, 2009

I did a little research and decided to go for the sushi bar closer to my home. We had a lovely experience. The sushi chefs were knowledgable, helpful and pleasant. The service was quick and the sushi was presented in a creative way, fresh and very tasty. The cost was fine ($4 - $7 for six pieces). They began closing up and cleaning while we were finishing though, otherwise I would have given Sushi Ya a 5 star rating.

1  Thank dldarcy