“Disappointed”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Portland, Oregon
“Disappointed”
Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

We have stayed at this hotel several times because we've been given it after doing the "name your own price", through Priceline. I've given it, "another shot", the last couple times we've stayed there because it's clean and a bit more "upscale" then some of the other Eugene hotels, with an affordable price (through the name your own price site). I cannot believe how unbearable this last overnight trip was! The trains that come through town lay their horns on blast throughout the night! I swear it seemed like every thirty minutes another train/horn was disturbing the peace. Another complaint I have is that they charge for internet and charge $15 for parking! It has been decided that we will be staying elsewhere the next time we need to stay overnight in Eugene.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
jodychall, General Manager at Hilton Eugene, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Dear TripAdvisor Member,

Thank you for taking time to share your review. I am sorry that you did not have a comfortable stay with us. Please know that we do have several packages that include Internet and parking in our covered parking garage within the rate. These packages are available through our hotel website. Thank you again for providing your feedback. We hope you will consider us again in the future,

Jody Hall

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Korean first
Portland, United States
Reviewed March 6, 2014

The front desk staff was very nice and very efficient. The restaurant staff was rude and pushy. The short man who sat us was pushy, rude, and abrupt. Very rude about whether or not we wanted to be seated. I asked the waitress a question regarding drinks and was blown off. I was not willing to argue with her further. The restaurant food was very poor quality especially for the price we paid. The food was not as advertised and the fries were burnt. Our room was clean and smelled nice but the bath tub was dirty and there were bugs in it. When using the shower, it made a lot of loud, strange pressurized noises and lost pressure off and on. Could hear whenever neighbors entered or left their room. Also had problems with key card and door activation. Also, there are no microwaves in the rooms so you cannot reheat any food. I could get over some stuff but between the bugs and restaurant staff, we will not return to stay here. You are also in the middle of town and by a train station so expect A LOT of noise disturbing your sleep.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear TripAdvisor Member,

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback regarding recent stay with us. I am very sorry that you had a negative experience with us. We appreciate your honest input on our service and appointments and I assure you I will discuss your feedback with our team. We hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in town and let us know how we are doing.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 5, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Hilton Eugene during our recent three week cross-country road trip. After reading fairly mixed reviews, I thought the hotel would at least be a clean place to spend the night. Upon entering our room, I went to use the bathroom and the toilet was full of hair and toilet paper from the previous occupant. It was gross (it made me wonder if there were other parts of the room that were unclean). I looked around the rest of the room and it looked clean (and pretty well updated, too) so we decided we would just go tell the front desk staff what had happened and see what they could do. The front desk attendee was apologetic but when I asked if someone could clean our bathroom while we went to dinner, he hesitated saying housekeeping may be gone for the day (it was about dinnertime) but he would see what he could do. When we returned from dinner and our toilet was clean. Phew! We thought it was gross to have a possibly unclean bathroom but we figured at least we could get a good night's sleep. I had read in the reviews about the train noise and honestly, that night, the loudest noise was from the gaggle of little boy hockey players running up and down the hallway, screaming, until very late. We ended up calling the front desk and they came to handle the noise in the hallway. When we checked out the next morning, I asked to speak with the hotel manager as I wanted to express that our hotel stay had been sub-standard. The manager was unavailable, but I was able to speak to a supervisor. I showed her a photo of the gross toilet and told her about the noise (I do understand that the hockey player noise is not so much on the hotel, as their parents) and let her know that the cleanliness issue was disconcerting and certainly left a bad impression on the hotel. Nothing came of our interaction and I'm disappointed that a valid issue, like the initial cleanliness of the room, was not of greater concern to this hotel. The next time I'm in Eugene, I will not be staying at this hotel. It is not a good value, it is noisy with the train (and possible loud neighbors!) and the customer service and cleanliness leave a lot to be desired. In our three weeks on the road, this was far and away our worst hotel experience and incidentally, was one of the more expensive places that we stayed.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear TripAdvisor Member,

Thank you for sharing your review. We know you expect a clean comfortable guest room with a great night's sleep and we truly do our best to ensure all guests’ comfort. It looks like we missed the mark this time and I appreciate that you brought this to our attention. I'm working with our team regarding the noise and cleanliness issues you encountered and future protocols that we can implement so this does not continue. We will also keep your suggestions in mind as we continue to look into refresh opportunities and hope you will come back to see our improvements. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your feedback.

Portland, United States
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Nice hotel for families visiting University of Oregon. Service has been very good ~ except once with a gal at the front desk who gave me the impression she was doing me a favor and didn't like me. We stay there all the time and are always comfortable at this hotel. Breakfast is good. Rooms are very nice, clean, and roomy.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Dear TripAdvisor Member,

Thank you for taking time to share your review. I am very pleased that you find our rooms clean and comfortable, our staff friendly and that you enjoyed our Hilton breakfast. i do apologize for the negative encounter you had with one of our team members. Please be assured I will discuss this encounter with our front desk team to ensure it doesn't happen again. Thank you again for sharing your feedback. We hope to take care of you again in the future.

Bainbridge Island, Washington
Reviewed March 3, 2014

I had heard poor feedback about the Eugene Hilton, but I suspect that was based on pre-refurbishment experiences. I had a big room on the 11th floor with a balcony overlooking a nice view of the city and mountains. The room was immaculate, tastefully appointed and had most everything needed.

Props for: friendly desk and room service staff, quick check-in, perfect housekeeping, a sliding door to the balcony that actually opens, Peter Thomas Roth bath products including hair conditioner (not just shampoo), bathrobes, fridge, coffee service with real cream instead of powder, lots of outlet plugs.

Major demerits for lacking free wi-fi. I'm a Hilton Honors member and wi-fi is supposed to be one of the benefits, but the charge is $9.95 per day and there is no option to sign up for more than one day at a time. Also, it appears that if you connect another device, you're charged again.

Minor demerits for lacking a magnifying mirror. A must for contact lens wearers.

Good place to stay for business travelers.

Green Features: Although this has a "green" badge, I'm not sure why. The coffee service uses paper cups and disposable sticks as opposed to china cups and spoons.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Beachwriter1
jodychall, General Manager at Hilton Eugene, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Dear TripAdvisor Member,

Thank you for taking time to share you review of our hotel. Our guest feedback is very important to us and we appreciate that you have provided yours. I am very pleased that you enjoyed our newly renovated guest rooms and that you found our staff to be very friendly and accommodating. I do apologize for the oversight on your complimentary Internet access. Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss this oversight further and I will remedy the mistake. Thank you again for staying with us. We look forward to taking care of you again in the future.

Los Angeles, United States
Reviewed March 1, 2014

The hotel is noisy due to nearby trains. The hotel condition is average, but slow and unsightly renovations were occurring in the hallway outside my room. The in-room coffee maker did not function correctly. This particular hotel does not meet typical Hilton standards.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Dear TripAdvisor Member,

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback regarding recent stay with us. We appreciate your honest input on our service and appointments and will keep your comments in mind as we constantly look for new ways to improve our guests' experience. Our renovations are wrapping up now, and the related noise and visible construction is no longer present. We hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in town and let us know how we are doing.

McMinnville, United States
Reviewed February 19, 2014

My boyfriend stayed at the Hilton because we could get a nice military discount and it was within walking distance to the MacDonald Theater, where we were going to see Amos Lee. Wow! It is a beautiful hotel. I loved the quality of the furnishings in room and hotel itself. We didn't use room service or eat at the hotel because there were so many great places right near. The view from the balcony was beautiful--we walked to the park that is a few blocks away. We ate breakfast at Lucky Noodle, which is right there around 5th street and all of those funky shops. The Lucky Noodle is holy crap good! There were ear plugs provided for us by the hotel for the train that comes through, but we didn't have any problems there. Our room was on a corner so our door was adjacent to another room's door. That was a little noisy. At one point we answered the door but it was for the other room. We went down to the fitness center; it looked nice. We only used the outdoor hot tub. Nice! I would have liked to have the temperature a couple of degrees hotter but that's just me. Love hot tubbing in the Oregon rain!!! I would definitely stay here again, especially to see music at the MacDonald Theater, especially if it were Amos Lee or Black Prairie again. Oh, the business/tv center was great. Easy to access internet and use hotel computers. Relaxing furniture and a wall of television screens. And, a great little bar in the corner.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

jodychall, General Manager at Hilton Eugene, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Dear TripAdvisor Member,

Thank you for taking time to share your review of our hotel. I am very pleased that you enjoyed our terrific location and our newly renovated guest rooms and facilities. There are indeed many terrific local restaurants and shops around our hotel and I am happy that you were able to enjoy a few of them while staying with us. We hope to have the opportunity to take care of you again soon!