“Worst hotel ever!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Eugene, Oregon
“Worst hotel ever!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

This is the most run down crap shack I have ever seen trying to call itself a three star hotel. The staff is extremely rude, and they treat anyone who would dare to book on priceline.com like they are a sub human species. They have a hot tub that is broken that they have no intention of ever fixing. They give absolutely nothing for free (Internet, Parking, Local Phone Calls). I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn located just 10 minutes away in Springfield, and it's like night and day! The staff there is extremely helpful in every way. And you can even park there without having to pay $15 per night! They also let me accumulate points on my HHonors membership even though I dared to book through priceline.com! When I checked in at Eugene they rudely informed me that I would not receive any points since I didn't book directly with them. Word to the wise....avoid this place at all cost! Whatever business you have can be accomplished much better at the Hilton Garden Inn, Springfield!!

Room Tip: Go the the Hilton in Springfield just 10 minutes away!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Mike K
jodychall, General Manager at Hilton Eugene, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear TripAdvisor Member,

I appreciate you sharing your review of your stay with us. I am very sorry that our services and amenities did not meet your expectations. Our goal is to always provide an exceptional stay for our guests and I will ensure all teams are working harder to reach this goal. Please know that we have many packages that include parking and internet in the room rate. These packages can be booked at our Hilton Brand website. Thank you again for your review.

Jody Hall
Hilton Eugene

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Korean first
Canyonville, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

Booked this hotel through Priceline and did get a great price, however no parking, breakfast or internet is included in Hilton's price. By the time you add $15 for parking, $15 for internet and breakfast for 2 you could skip Priceline and book the hotel of your choosing which would certainly not be this Hilton.
First issue is parking - $15 per night. We drive a Suburban and the maximum height is 6'3". Wouldn't you think the desk attendant would let you know that ahead of time? The garage is fair at best.
Second - we were at Hilton on Thanksgiving evening and decided to eat at their buffet. BIG MISTAKE! First the hostess at the desk was totally rude, asked if we had reservations when the place was 1/2 full and then said she thought she could find a table for us (should not have been difficult!). The restaurant was absolutely freezing and our food was cold as well. Most of the food was picked over and I counted two waitresses working the entire room. We were offered drinks one time and should have known when the waitress brought us back 1/2 carafe of soda we would not be seeing her again (not her fault, she was running trying to keep the tables going). My teeth were almost chattering from the freezing room and we waited for coffee but finally gave up.
Third and most concerning - upon leaving our room on the 7th floor we heard a woman screaming horribly down the hall. My husband walked to the room where the sound was coming from and a woman ran out in a sports bra and pj pants screaming that she had been assaulted. I called on the house phone for assistance and a desk clerk came up and asked us what was happening. A young man had exited the room and was giving us his side of the story when the woman came out again screaming obscenities and telling us she had been assaulted by this young man. The clerk went and took the woman back to her room while we waited with the man. A very short time later the clerk came down and asked for the man's side of the story. Again the woman came down screaming and yelling and showing us her evidence of the assault but stated she did not wish to press charges so the man left. At no time did the clerk as for our room numbers, names, or really even apologize for this upsetting scenario. You would have thought for liability sake he would have asked our name/room#.

I really felt the staff was rude, the hotel is somewhat run down and our dinner was horrible. I would not stay again!

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms that are away from the train tracks. We stayed away from the tracks but I could s...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Thoop8
HotelManagerEugene, Manager at Hilton Eugene, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us in Eugene. I appreciate your honest feedback about your experience with us and I apologize that you did not see the value in your stay. Please know that we also have several room packages that include parking and internet. These packages offer great value over purchasing them separately. I am sorry that the temperature of the Restaurant and food was so cold. We served over 200 people for Thanksgiving brunch and this is the first complaint I have gotten on the food being cold, everyone I had contact with said the whole experience was excellent. I will forward your comments to our Chef so that she can keep an eye on the temperature of the food in our next buffet.I also apologize that you were involved with another Guests dispute, we try to resolve these types of issues quickly so that our other guests are not involved. We hope that you will give us another chance the next time you visit Eugene.

Seal Rock, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

I have never written a review for a hotel. I've found I do enjoy reading them however, the more detail, the better. I take my overnight accomodations seriously, because they represent a large portion of my life. Of the 7300 nights that have come and gone in the past 20 years(365 x 20),
I stayed at Hilton properties for over 10% of them. That's over two years of Hilton stays. I learned of this several months ago when speaking with Hilton Corporate in Texas over a service issue at one of their properties. Yes, I was quite surprised at the number, and the Hilton representative was as well. The service issue was not at the Eugene Hilton. and it was quickly taken care of. This is written to give the Eugene Hilton top marks as my number one Hilton property over the past two decades. Yes, sometimes the next door guests are too loud, or the train wakes me up,
or the pool is closed, or the soup cold, the towels somewhat thin, etc. Suffice to say that life goes on while a guest at the Eugene Hilton. But the staff has always been helpful, courteous, personable and quick to deliver on whatever I might be needing. The rooms are becoming dated, but they are always clean and upgrades are on the calender. When I'm away from home, I desire
comfort that I can count on every night, every stay, every month, every year. Consistency. The Eugene Hilton delivers this for me and has for decades. I'm greeted by name when I walk-up to the front desk for check-in, and that makes me comfortable. They know what room(s) I prefer and I know without asking that is where I will be. A home, if you will, away from home. And in my book, that's the goal of any hotel. The Eugene Hilton acheives that goal for me like no other property. And their breakfast buffet is top of the line. Where else can you get the entire run of the berry family(straw, black, rasp, blue) 365 mornings a year? All fresh, never frozen. End of story.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank DJBouchat
HotelManagerEugene, Manager at Hilton Eugene, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Thank you for taking the time to give your first online review of a Hotel. We are honored that you would give your first review of a hotel to us, and rank us as your number one Hilton. All hotels have their problems and what it really comes down to is the staff, and creating a comfortable stay as you mentioned. Our mission is to create a home away from home as we understand how difficult it is to be on the road so often. I agree that a big part of the sucess of any business is consistency. I will let the Chef know that you think her breakfast buffet is top of the line, and to keep the berries coming. Thank you again for taking the time to let us know about your many stays. We look forward to your next visit.

Taylorsville, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

I stayed here for a business conference. My room was basic (no fridge or microwave), but very large and up to Hilton standards. The mini-balcony with sliding glass door was a nice extra – I love fresh air in a hotel room. Parking in the underground garage was free while I was there, although they usually charge for it. It is a full-service hotel, and you do pay for extras; there is no complimentary breakfast, for example. Overall, I thought my conference rate ($97+tax) was well-worth it.

The hotel’s location is great for walking around downtown. It is about two blocks from the 5th Street Public Market, and the area has a selection of restaurants within easy walking distance. Of course, the hotel has a nice on-site restaurant and lounge as well. The restaurant features fresh, local cuisine; I enjoyed the beet and mozzarella salad. There is a train that runs a few blocks away, near the 5th Street Public Market, and the whistle can occasionally be heard, especially with the sliding glass door open. Complimentary earplugs are offered on the bedside table. I’m a light sleeper, but with my balcony door closed and the fan turned to “Hi,” I didn’t need the earplugs and slept soundly all night. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. I hope your conference went well. I agree that our location is great for walking to many venues in the downtown area. The beet and mozzarella salad in our restaurant is one of my favorites. We hope that the next time you travel to Eugene you will give us the opportunity to serve you again. Happy Holidays.

Davis, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

This is our third visit to Eugene and the third hotel we have tried. After reading previous reviews I felt well prepared for what to expect from this hotel. We booked the room on Price Line and got a good price. We planned to pay for parking but luckily the garage next door has free parking on weekends. Friendly reception staff. Easy check-in. Room on 8th floor. Heard the train when we first arrived but after that it did not bother us. Big event going on in the hotel Saturday night thought it might get loud but our only noise complaint came in the morning. Our room was across from the house keeping room. Appreciated that the hotel was situated with-in walking distance of shops and restaurants downtown. Enjoyed the staff. They were pleasant and helpful.The room was spacious and clean. The reason I rated it a 4/5 was the bathroom was not as clean as it could have been tooth paste and coffee on vanity front and mildew on shower curtain.

Room Tip: Rooms on South side face train tracks. Avoid staying near house keeping room. Put out do not disturb...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Kim398
HotelManagerEugene, Manager at Hilton Eugene, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. It sounds like your stay was good, but not perfect. We strive for perfection and I will pass on your comments about the noise from the Housekeeping closet, and the cleanliness issues to the Housekeeping department, so they can better service our Guests. We hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future. Once again thank you for your comments, and we will use them to enhance our service practices.

Victoria, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

Internet $10 and self park $15. Why don't you charge for heat in the room as well? This wasn't a pleasant stay. The first room wasn't usable and it really was an inconvenience to the clerk to change us. I hate places that nickel and dime you and this was over the top. The add-ins were 1/3 of the room rate.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank TerryBradshaw20
HotelManagerEugene, Manager at Hilton Eugene, responded to this review, November 9, 2012

Veldhoven, The Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012 via mobile

We were simply passing through Eugene on our way north when we decided to stop for the night at the Hilton downtown. Although the hotel is situated near shops and restaurants downtown, I must caution staying here. If you are looking for a full night's rest, it will be as fruitless an effort as capturing one of the ubiquitous ducks within Eugene. First, we were unable to control the temperature within our room. We put the air conditioner on and instead of cooling the room, the vent pushed out hot air. When we called the front desk, they simply recommended turning off the system. We had to sleep with the patio door open. To make matters worse, a train passes within blocks of the hotel several times throughout the night, making an unreasonable amount of noise. The hotel provides a complementary pair of ear plugs but even these are not enough to deafen the noise. Recommend am staying away from downtown.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. I am sorry that we were not able to provide you with a satisfactory experience during your recent stay. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we appreciate your feedback about the noise from the trains. We know how important peace and quiet is while traveling, and if you decide to give us another chance you can ask for a room on the south side which faces away from the train and is much quieter.