“Close to everything”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Camano Island, Washington
“Close to everything”
Reviewed November 14, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel numerous times both with children and without. I always book this hotel off Hotwire (hot deal) as I've noticed that if they are offering a 3 star hotel in Eugene around $65-$70 it always puts me at the Hilton. Eugene does not have a lot of nice hotels. The Hilton is clean and is located within walking distance to lots of little shops in downtown not to mention the Hult Center. The staff is very friendly and helpful. There is easy access to the roadways that will take you to either Eugen or the Springfield malls. The 5th Street Market is a couple of blocks away and has some good food and quite a variety. If you like books there is a used book store a block or so away from the hotel and it has two floors of used books...l could spend hours there.

As for the Hotel itself...the only thing I didn't like about it was there was no fan in the bathroom. This hotel is not spectacular, just clean and comfortable. There are two kinds of parking available...self park and valet. I always use self-park, but it will cost you $15 a day. There is a restaurant on sight, but I've never eaten there as I am always out with family. We did not use the additional facilities offered at this hotel as we just didn't have the time.

As I read some of the other reviews I have this to say...it is not worth $100 a night...and it's not the Miami Hilton by any means...so if this is your expectation you will be disappointed. Shop around and get a good deal. With that in mind and knowing that this is Eugene, this hotel is clean, comfortable, safe and is in a great location.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
HotelManagerEugene, Manager at Hilton Eugene, responded to this review, November 21, 2011
Dear Tripadvisor Member,

I agree that the location is ideal, with many shops and restaurants in walking distance, not to mention the Hult center right next door.

We do pride ourselves on our service, and I am glad to hear that you found the Staff to be friendly and the rooms clean and comfortable.

Once again thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay, and we look forward to your next visit to Eugene.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Korean first
Missoula, Montana
Reviewed November 12, 2011

This Hilton in Eugene is disappointing. The hotel is older, not well maintained, and not clean by Hilton standards. Charges including $10/ day for wi if (that is spotty at best), $15/ day for parking on top of a $100/ night room leave the customer wondering why they booked there.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
HotelManagerEugene, Manager at Hilton Eugene, responded to this review, November 23, 2011
Dear Tripadvisor Member,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. I appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns and to improve our hotel as a result.

I am sorry to hear that your stay was dissappointing as that is not our goal. Our Housekeeping department takes great pride in their jobs and it is reflected in the posative Hilton Guest comment surveys.

While our guestrooms and furnishings were renovated in 2008 our hotel is slated for several more updates in the coming year. We will see upgrades to guestrooms, guest corridors and the hotel lobby, all intended to improve our guest’s experience at the hotel.

We recently converted to AT&T WIFI in the Hotel, and from our Guests comments seems to be working quite well for everyone. We are a downtown Hotel and parking is limited. The entire area surrounding us is metered or pay parking structures, the difference here is we offer covered parking and Security, we also offer our overnight Guests a discounted rate of $15.00 per day versus the normal $2.00 per hour.

Again, I am truly sorry that your experience at our hotel was not positive. We do take the feedback we obtain from our TripAdvisor Reviews and from our Hilton Surveys very seriously and always use them to improve our services and products. Please know that I am always available to discuss your stay and can be reached through the hotel’s direct telephone number.
Oregon South Coast
Reviewed November 10, 2011

We like to stay at the Eugene Hilton because of its great downtown location. It is possible to walk everywhere. Nearby are terrific restaurants and music/theater venues. Sometimes we travel with a small dog, which the hotel will accomodate. The front desk staff is very friendly.

The property is clean and updated, although the rooms are small. The bath linens are lushious, but there are no bedspreads.

We have in the past gotten excellent room rates through Priceline, but our last bargain turned out to be negated because of the Hilton's extra fees. It costs $15/night to park and the pet fee is $50.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fitzor
Dear Tripadvisor Member,

I agree that we do have a very friendly Front Desk staff, and I am glad you felt the hotel was clean and updated.

The Hilton Eugene does have a great downtown location, and is very close to restaurants and music/theater venues.

We are pet friendly, but with so many people allergic to pets we must thoroughly remove all evidence, including shampooing of carpets and drapes, thus the extra charge.

Again, thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay. We look forward to taking great care of you again in the near future.
San Diego, CA
Reviewed September 16, 2011

I stayed at the HIlton Eugene for two nights in September. Everyone on the staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. However, like an earlier reviewer, I found the property to be very dated. The carpets and walls in the hallways seemed very old and musty. My room was better, but I still considered it out of date. The bed was clean and comfortable. The train tracks are close by, so I could hear them around 6am.

The best feasture of this hotel is that it is very conveniently located to many things in downtown Eugene. Very easy walking distance to many restaurants and bars.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank VWC_SD
HotelManagerEugene, Manager at Hilton Eugene, responded to this review, September 22, 2011
Dear VWC_SD,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. I am glad to hear that you found the Staff to be incredibly friendly and helpful, and the beds clean and comfortable. Our Owners do have some updates planned for the upcoming year that will enhance the look of the property.

The trains do indeed run through the heart of Eugene, and I think, adds to the small town charm of the City. We are indeed in a prime location with many restaurants and bars in walking distance.

Once again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to your next visit to the Eugene area.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 13, 2011

Stayed at this property for 2 nights after Labor Day that just happened to be the 2 hottest days of the year in Eugene. The check-in process was great. I am a Hilton Honors Gold member and was thanked for my Hilton loyalty. When I got to my room I felt like I had gone back to a 1980's property. Dated furnishings. Work and tired looking. But the worst part was the poor air conditioning. It never worked properly.

Breakfast was uninspiring and the service terrible. No water. No refill once we received water. Second morning they ran out of Greek Yoghurt and no one could figure out if they had more in the kitchen.

I responded to the Hilton survey when I returned and the manager sent a very lackluster response. I felt like my comments were a bother for him and he didn't give a hoot about a business traveler and their opinion.

The only reason I would recommend the hotel is there are not a lot of alternatives in Eugene at that level.

Advise to the GM if you read this, don't treat your business travelers comment as a bother.

• Stayed September 2011
2 Thank DrFood
jodychall, General Manager at Hilton Eugene, responded to this review, September 22, 2011
Dear DrFood,

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns and to improve our hotel as a result.

I am very sorry to learn that you felt our Hotel Manager’s response was lackluster. As a team here at the hotel we do take every guest comment very seriously and always attempt to improve and adjust as a result of the feedback. I assure you we will discuss the input you have provided here as well. I also apologize for the poor experience you encountered in our restaurant. Please know that in response to your earlier survey we have met with our restaurant culinary and service staff to ensure that our team is prepared and capable of meeting all of our guests needs promptly and positively. The Greek Yogurt is a new addition to our buffet, and our Chef has adjusted the quantity we have on hand based on its popularity.

Jody Hall
Garibaldi, Oregon
Reviewed September 5, 2011

The hotel is a wonderful location; many restaurants and bars within walking distance. Check in staff was incredibly nice and helpful, as we were traveling with our 2 dogs. We did have an issue, however management was extremely apologetic and comp'ed us for parking and wifi in our room. All staff encountered were most helpful and very friendly. One reminder, do remember this is also a convention center, and if there is an evening function it may get noisy outside, so you might want to seek a room on a higher floor. Another thing to note, to be ecological friendly, the air conditioner is set to go no lower that 65 degrees and has a motion sensor, if you leave for the day, be prepared to come back to a very hot room and time for it to cool off. Overall, the hotel is very well kept, has very friendly staff, and in a great location!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Oreg0nWanderlust
HotelManagerEugene, Manager at Hilton Eugene, responded to this review, September 15, 2011
Dear OregOn Wanderlust,

Thank you for taking the time to respond on your recent stay with us. I am glad that you enjoyed our location. It is very convenient to many restaurants and bars in walking distance.

We do pride ourself on our friendly Staff and I am glad to hear that you agree. I will share your comments with our Staff, especially the check in people. Being a downtown hotel with a lot of local activities can get a little noisey at times, but usually quiets down at 9pm, as the City has noise ordinances.

I am sorry that your room was hot when you returned, we try to keep the thermostats set at a 72 degree average to keep the rooms at a cool temperature.

Whidbey Island, Washington
Reviewed August 13, 2011

If you're staying in Eugene for a few days the Hilton is a good choice. I used to live in Eugene & I've been back many times over the years. The Valley River Inn used to be my favorite (reviewed that one, too). The Hilton is in as good a downtown location as it gets. You can walk to the river & take a nice walk along the bike path. The 5th Street Market & many nice restaurants are also very walkable. And the Downtown Mall ... oh, my ... I was so sad to see what's become of it. When I lived in Eugene, the Mall was beautiful & vibrant ... a place where families & friends would gather. It was opened to cars several years ago (so it's not really a "mall" anymore), they took out the fountain & the play areas, & now it's a slum with mostly vacant buildings, tacky stores, sleazy bars & gangs patrolling in the evenings. It's deserted & desolate & Eugene has lost a crown jewel ... traded it in for refurbished strip malls like the one on Coburg Rd. The town commissioners should hang their heads in shame. BUT (sorry for the little rant) ... I digress. The point I was getting to is that the Hilton is also in the midst of what used to be the Mall -- but don't bother w/ going there.

Self parking was easy & cheap at $10/day. The rooms typical for Hilton. One semi-comfortable chair in the room. The bed was very comfy, the linens & pillows very nice & they had extra feather pillows waiting for me, which I had requested in my reservation. That's always a plus for me! The staff we met were polite, but not particularly friendly or helpful. The bathroom was small, a bit dark & could use an upgrade. Water pressure in the shower was on the limp side. Cleanliness in the room wasn't the best. We stayed 3 nights, so we wanted to use the drawers & it was a bit nasty finding dirty underwear in one of them. The bathroom could've used a good cleaning, too ... very dirty moldings around the sink. We had a room facing Spencer's Butte & the view was lovely. I checked out the pool/exercise area although I did not use the facilities. Small, a few machines ... the indoor pool was very small & very cloudy, & there was a seperate spa pool outside in a cemented, walled-in area. I would not have enjoyed it as it was claustrophic to me, but the spa was empty & had an old ciger in it. Maybe it was empty for cleaning, I don't know.

The restaurant ... go somewhere else. We ate there 4 times in our 3 days. Once in the bar area (same menu) & 3x in the restaurant. At lunch one day we waited 45 minutes for our food, even though the place was practically empty (we were the only ones there by the time our food came, everyone else left). When it finally arrived, the waitress kindly asked my husband if he wanted a few more fries since there were only about 5 on his plate. Another time we had to ask for tomato, since they forgot to add it to the bacon-tomato-cheese sandwich. But I think what really did me in was breakfast when I ordered "French Toast stuffed with strawberries & cream cheese". It was a breaded & fried bundle of dough with strawberry flavored cream cheese spread thinly in it. Or it could have been yogurt, I wasn't sure. The only strawberry was the ONE on top of it, this I know! Our waiter asked us how our breakfast was & when I told him mine was not as described on the menu -- no strawberries & I thought it was yogurt -- he said, "Yogurt? Hmmm..." And that was that. So my recommendation is to avoid the restaurant altogether.

The bed here was great & that's the most important thing for me ... so I would definitely stay here again. There aren't a whole lot of choices in Eugene for comfy beds. A new hotel is being built in the 5th Street Market ... will be worth looking into.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
HotelManagerEugene, Manager at Hilton Eugene, responded to this review, August 17, 2011
Dear Denise70,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your recent stay. Our goal is to always exceed our Guests expectations, and provide a value to our Guests. I agree with your comment that " The Hilton is in as good a downtown location as it gets." I am glad that you enjoyed the comfort of the bed, and that the Staff anticipated your need for the extra pillow.

I am sorry that you encountered some problems with the cleanliness of your room. Our Housekeeping team takes great pride in the cleanliness of their Guestrooms and continues to receive very high ratings from our Guests that respond to our Hilton surveys. I also apologize for the spa being closed, it was under repair and awaiting parts.

I will pass on your comments to the Chef about the lack of strawberries in the french toast, they are actually incorporated into the sweet whipped cream cheese, then stuffed into the thick sliced french toast, I hope you enjoyed our House made Marionberry syrup, as we do receive many great comments on this dish.

Again, I do sincerely apologize for any inconveniences you experienced. We look forward to your next stay with us. Please feel free to call upon me personally to help with any arrangements.