“Soul-less food”

Ranked #19 of 625 Restaurants in Eugene
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Four of us decided to eat dinner here based on the rave reviews on Tripadvisor. What a disappointment! Real Southern fried chicken is pan fried--lightly battered, well seasoned and moist. What passes for fried chicken at Papa's is deep fried, with lots of hard batter, and is dry and tasteless. I expected real coleslaw with shredded cabbage. What I got seems to have been dumped right out of a bag with little to no added seasonings in the dressing. The potato salad was mediocre. The only sides that were good were the fried okra and the collard greens. The woman sitting next to us had ordered the special--a fried pork chop sitting on a biscuit the size of a dinner plate, topped with bacon and a huge mound of gravy. Her entree alone must have contained 5,000 calories! Sorry, but this Southern girl will have to look elsewhere for her soul food. I does exist somewhere outside the South, doesn't it?

There are newer reviews for Papa's Soul Food Kitchen

Reviewed September 5, 2012

Great service, great food and it was not expensive! I don't eat fried chicken BUT, after reading the reviews, I had to try it and it was spot on. Sooooo good! The sides we chose were also really good- I had the okra and baked beans and my husband had the coleslaw and fries- did not disappoint! Highly recommend this place- we are def. going back. Oh, and we had arrived before they opened, so we went to the pub (Sam Bond's Garage) across the street- great way to kill the time.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

I love the service at this restaurant! As amazing and sought as they are, I love that they are not pretentious about it. It's good food and the portions are great. The patio is great for evening dinners.
It's a must while in town. I can't say enough so I wont say anything else.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

Food was excellent....fresh, and authentic Southern fare. We sat outside and listened to the one-man live entertainment. Service was slow and I believe our waiter was stoned, but the food and beer were worth the wait. Unfortunately the staff was stressed and not too attentive. After taking our order we didn't see the waiter for a good 40 minutes. He missed an opportunity to ply us with alcohol which may have improved his tip, as well as the restaurant's bottom line.

A man at a neighboring table dropped something important through the deck (cell phone, credit card, ring?). After ignoring their requests for help for about 20 minutes, one waiter told him loudly that "that's not going to happen" when the man asked him to pull up a board on the deck to retrieve the item.

Reviewed August 4, 2012

Wow!! Amazing Southern food, great atmosphere and staff, delicious beer and great experience start to finish. High quality food, no question. I recommend the ribs and fried chicken. The gumbo was darn good but ribs and chicken were better. Fried okra as a side was delis! If it's nice enough to sit outside, it's preferable as it's less noisy and extremely pleasant. Next time I'm in Oregon state, I'm going back!