Barking Mad Farm & Country B&B
$85
$60
RodewayInn
$103
All reviewsseven devilstreetops suitedelicious breakfastother guestseach morninghomemade granolasurrounded by mountainsterminal gravitywrap around porchvery special placefrench doorsfront of the housemade us feelwallowa countyhells canyonlocal ingredientsdietary needs
Reviewed September 24, 2012

My fiance and I first came to Barking Mad Farm 4 years ago on a trip through the Palouse and Hells Canyon. We had read about the Wallowas in an outdoor travel magazine and made it our last stop of the trip. We have a Blue Heeler, so we needed a place where they accepted dogs. We found BMF on line, and it was the find of the century! Diana and Hunter are exceptionally gracious, tolerant, and a total riot! We've been back now 4 times, and the most enjoyable part of the experience besides the awesome accommodations, the views, the fire pit, and the food, are the morning breakfasts on the deck with Diana and Hunter (and Peanut), in playful conversation.

As a bonus, Diana does some amazing photography of your pet, and puts it into a format that looks like an oil painting. I have lots of purchases from her, and will probably have more in the future. They also have great suggestions for places to check out in the area to include local restaurants, breweries, and hiking trails, and really seem to have their finger on the pulse of the area.

We've made friends in Diana and Hunter, and will be back in 2013 to get married at their new location they call Tumbledown. I've asked Diana to photograph our wedding, which will make it extra special. Trust me when I say you cannot go wrong choosing Barking Mad Farm.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Our experience of Barking Mad Farm & Country B&B was memorable in the best of ways: basking in the warmth and graciousness of our hosts, sitting by the fireplace with them on a rainy evening sharing a little about our lives with each other; taking in a bucolic landscape populated by horses, dogs, goats and many stories; a breakfast of superior quality and freshness. If it hadn't been raining continuously we would have stayed longer and certainly intend to go back. .

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Once your mind is cleared with the gorgeous drive up the Gorge and then across the Hells Canyon Scenic Byway, you divert a quarter mile off Route 82, drive up a country lane, passing horses and seeing the Wallowas to your right and purple mountain's majesty on the plains to your left, you park and settle in to your little moments of heaven on the farm.

There isn't much that I can say that hasn't been said in the other reviews.

- The home is beautiful and welcoming.
- Our room, the Buffalo Suite, couldn't have been better suited to my college aged son and me.
- The bed was super comfy made even more delightful with the cool fresh country air flowing in the window.
- Diana and Hunter are really interesting people.
- We made new friends and went hiking with them after breakfast. We're now in touch afterwards.
- My dog was welcome and enjoyed himself immensely hanging on the porch and going to meet horses on the other side of the field where dogs can roam.
- Get up before the sun and watch the sun "come down" on the Wallowas...hear the birds who have congregated nearby. And then go get your coffee the moment the sun hits the red barn.
- Bonfire in the morning with coffee. Nice touch, Hunter.
- Breakfasts are delicious and bountiful.
- Brewpubs: We thought the service and food at Mutiny in Joseph was better than Terminal Gravity in Enterprise. So did some of the other guests. While Hunter and Diana will give dining recommendations, there isn't a lot to choose from. (Most were closed on a Sunday over the Labor Day holiday weekend. Tourists aren't really the first order of business in the Joseph region, but you'll be amply satisfied by the natural beauty of the area, and Diana and Hunter's hospitality.)

We will be back.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I planned this trip at the last minute not knowing what to expect and had a wonderful time. The setting was beautiful if you're into lush fields, running buffalo, mountains and breathtaking sunsets. The hosts were helpful and friendly, we spent hours chatting on their wrap-around porch after breakfast and after our day hikes. Breakfast was lovely both mornings - crepes and french toast accompanied with fruit and yogurt. Henry, our dog, was welcomed and spent his time at the farm resting in the sun with his new furry friends, Queenie and Peanut. Put this place on your bucket list!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Huckleberry crepes. I shouldn't have to say anything more, but there's also the spectacular views, sage and tactful advice on what to see and the best way to see it, lovely rooms, and (importantly for people like my spouse) proximity to the Terminal Velocity brewpub. Also yummy eggy things in ramekins, homemade granola, Hermiston melons and excellent coffee. I generally don't even like B&Bs, to be honest, but this one had all the best stuff of B&Bs, and none of the worst.

Did I mention the crepes?

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple