“Great Food, Great Beer, and Great Service”
Review of Lear's Pub & Grill - CLOSED

Lear's Pub & Grill
Cuisines: American
Reviewed October 28, 2013

My son and I ate dinner at Lear's on Oct. 17th after a steelhead fishing trip on the Grande Ronde river. My son had eaten breakfast at Lear's previously and wanted to go back for a dinner. The beer selection is super, not only did we find the Terminal Gravity varieties we were looking for but there were several other craft and big brewery draft beers as well. For food, there were several specials available and a good selection of regular menu items. I had one of the best Rueben's I've ever had. My son had an enormous burger (called the Bodacious). Both came with fries cooked just right. They were delicious. We visited with the owners, nice people who cook and serve. Finally I was happy with the bill when it came--I'm used to Portland prices and two of us ate and drank for about half of what we'd pay in Portland.

The dinner was so good we decided to come back for breakfast the next morning and were not disappointed. I was surprised to see brats as the sausage on offer so I asked for one instead of the standard two--which was just right. My eggs were cooked perfectly and the home-made hash browns were super. Can't remember what my son had but I heard no complaints.

I spend time each year in the UK so am suspicious of places that advertise themselves as pubs. However Lear's is not a pretender--it has the good beers, friendly service, and feel of a "local" with much better food than all but a few of the UK pubs I have spent time in.

If you are traveling or staying in the upper Wallowa Valley (Enterprise, Joseph, Wallowa Lake) you won't go wrong eating and drinking at Lear's.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

My partner and I spent 10 weeks in the Enterprise/Joseph area from mid-July thru the end of September. During that time, with limited access to the towns and restaurants (we were far out in the Zumwalt Prairie and able to drive into town just once a week), we found Lear's and returned over and again. We were thrilled to find such a good restaurant with friendly patrons and owners; a relaxed environment where folks took the time to chat & even serve each other coffee. You could sit in the back where there was usually some sports show on the TVs, at the bar, or in the front where the setting was a bit more formal.

Our first visit was for a light dinner off the pub menu. I had the French Dip and my partner had the Grilled Chicken Avocado Bacon sandwich. First, the quality of the meats were superb and the buns were grilled perfectly. Even dipped in the au jus, there was a wonderful crunch. And there were numerous layers of wonderful tastes and textures. We had a couple other meals off of the dinner menu, where again the meats were perfectly cooked, salads large and fresh and everything flavorful.

As great as the dinners were, the breakfasts floored us. On our first breakfast visit we were not sure what to try. We decided to order the Two Egg breakfast and the Huevos Rancheros con Chili Verde y Chorizo, and asked to try one Sweet Potato Pancake (I am not a fan of pancakes, generally, but was curious. And Steve, the owner, was willing to cook one up for us). WOW!!! Not only were the egg dishes simply fantastic, we LOVED the Sweet Potato Pancakes (Steve brought us two). We loved them so much, upon each return to Lear's for breakfast, we would order two egg-based meals AND add an order of Sweet Potato Pancakes to share (yes, THREE BIG breakfasts). Over the various visits we had the Crab Benedict, the Bodacious Breakfast Burrito, two different omelets, a biscuit dish and various other specials (there are usually up to 4 specials each day, and if not, Steve will cook most anything if he has the ingredients). The meats were quality meats - for example we noticed the bacon had more meat on them than at most restaurants. The eggs were always cooked just as we liked (poached or over easy - perfect each time), the potatoes cooked with onion, topped with a touch of cheese, soft on the inside yet crunchy on the outside and with wonderful flavor, and the bread...the bread. A thick slab of hefty bread, toasted perfectly! But I must mention the Sweet Potato Pancakes: 3 large, filling, perfectly cooked delicious cakes (served with ham) that did not need butter or syrup...you MUST try them.
So did we like Lear's? No, we LOVED Lear's. And will dream of it fondly, hoping to return someday.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

We were very hungry, it was Monday eve and most resturants in Enterprise and Joseph,Oregon were closed as it was after the busy summer time. Service was slow, the only others were already eating. More like a pub, noisy with football game and help visiting with regular customers. Food was good,tho.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

This place was first recommended by the people at our motel as a great breakfast place. A relative who lives in Enterprise also recommended it. When we arrived in the morning, a man was eating at the counter, a couple were seated at a table and a group of men were holding a meeting in the pub area. The owner was focused on providing their meals, so the other patrons helped us by pouring coffee for us and engaging in conversation until the owner was free. Our breakfasts were excellent and included homemade bread.

We returned in the evening for dinner, again excellent. Steve, the owner, was friendly and enjoyed visiting when he wasn't in the kitchen.

1  Thank TravelinGal2010
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I was walking down Main Street in Enterprise a couple of weeks ago when I saw a sandwich board advertising Lear's as having been voted as having the "Best Breakfast" in town. I was hungry, I had an hour to kill and decided to give it a try.

I ordered a made to order omelette and asked for mushrooms, ham and cheese. The menu said it came with a side of potatoes and toast. I was expecting the typical processed cheese, pre-packaged diced ham and canned mushrooms along with a side of hashbrowns along with white bread toast. Intstead, I got a wonderful surprise when I got an omellette with freshly cut ham, fresh mushrooms, good cheese and a perfectly cooked omelette sitting next to a hearty helping of cut potatoes and toasted artisan bread. Nice!!!!

I enjoyed my meal at a sidewalk table and savored the morning. It really was a great breakfast!