“not just good food...but great food”
Review of H & P Cafe

H & P Cafe
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Echo
Cuisines: American
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I live in Umatilla, we are new to the area....two girlfriends of mine came out to visit from Portland...we went over to Columbia Crest Winery...after tasting their good wine...they recommened H & P Cafe....so off we went...and we were so so surprised....one friend ordered thier special, a ruben/cheese....myself and my other friend ordered the fish n' chips...tasted just fantastic, but after reading the other reviews...I plan on taking my husband over for lunch this weekend and try some other dishes AND pie....and the service was great and very friendly...no rushing you....

There are newer reviews for H & P Cafe

Reviewed January 8, 2013

We love driving the Wreath/Echo road from Pendleton to Echo, with some of the best scenery in this part of the state. A bonus of the experience today was having salmon for lunch prepared by Challis Buck, a New York chef come home.She has a passion for her art that is taken for granted in Portland and expected in New York, but in eastern Oregon - a treasure! Even the comfort food ( Reuben) my husband ordered was made with her own touch-the corned beef had a crispy bacon quality that was delicious. She'll have your cafe food if you need it too. Next time we go I hope to let her pick the menu for us.Go there!

Reviewed October 1, 2012

I can actually review the H & P Cafe because I finally have dined there. When you walk in, you never even suspect that you have actually walked into a fine dinning establishment. There is absolutely nothing wrong at all with the ambience but when your meal arrives, you are quiet surprised.

I ordered the half chicken off the menu. This meal comes with your choice of soup or salad. I chose the salad. The greenery was very crisp, fresh and very decorative. There were these small slices of something red and I had to ask what it was because it was very tasty. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that it was sliced pickled radish, which I had never eaten before. The dressing I chose was blue cheese, which is made in house, and it was superb.

I must tell you that when the main course arrived, it too was decorative and very good. I have never eaten the skin off of my chicken before. I always toss that into my husband’s plate. I did not share for the first time in my life. It had a hint of honey and very lightly coated so I did not feel like I was eating a fatty piece of chicken deep-fried. I just started there and ate that until it was gone, very unusual for me. The mashed potatoes were made in house as well and I do not think I have ever had them prepared this well. They too were very tasty. The fresh cooked asparagas was extremely tender and had a taste that I have never enjoyed before in asparagus.

Overall, it was a pleasant meal, arrived looking like a piece of art and the price was in my personal opinion, a bit under of what I thought it deserved because the amount was generous and so tasty. You just do not find this type of meal in a small town, until now.

The H & P Café is an establishment I highly recommend. ~ Eudora S. Olsen

1  Thank EudoraNachand
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Based on a very positive recommendation of a trusted family member, our party of four decided to check out H&P during Pendleton Round Up week. We were not disappointed. The service was excellent and menu versatile. My husband (as well as another friend) had the country-fried steak and swears it was the best CFS he has ever had... He is 77 and has had a lot of experience with CFS! Another member of our party had the Parmesan-encrusted chicken breast over risotto, which was excellent, and I had the penne carbonara. We all had salads with home made dressings to start. Salads were crisp and cold, mixed greens with pieces of fresh green and yellow bell peppers, tomatoes and roasted red peppers. Portions were generous, pricing more than reasonable and we all ordered desserts ... two each pieces of homemade lemon meringue pie and apple pie. Not to be redundant, they were also excellent. My only regret is that my husband and I live in Idaho Falls so it will be a while before we can try other menu items...

1  Thank Gail H
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We came to Echo to visit the local winery, and found the hidden gem of H & P Cafe. This makes Echo, population in the hundreds, a excursion destination for people in NE Oregon, or passing through on I 84.

The wild salmon was plated so beautifully, we took a picture of it. The taste was moist, sauce was delecate and complete, making this little cafe a fine dining experience at diner prices. Pies are home made and came hot out of the oven for lunch, not reheated in a microwave. The chef (not a cook, as my Dad emphasized) was willing to change out potatoes, replaced by asperagus. The salads were beautiful and fresh with home made fruited vinegret or balsamic reduction dressing. Locals also come in for the burgers and fries, if that floats your boat, which all looked made from fresh ingredients.

Keep economic resources in local hands, eat local.

1  Thank Finndance