“Secluded beauty in the Dundee Hills”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dundee
Black Walnut Inn & Vineyard
Ranked #4 of 5 Dundee B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Approaching the Black Walnut Inn, you feel like you’ve just been transported to Tuscany. The Inn sits on a hilltop overlooking the beautiful Dundee Hills, and the building is styled after an Italian villa, complete with a fountain in the courtyard. Proprietors Karen and Neil are welcoming and lovely, and are genuinely committed to your enjoyment of the Inn and surrounding area. There are lovely spots all around to enjoy the views and the peaceful setting—from the balcony outside your room, or from sitting areas sprinkled around the property. If the weather doesn’t permit outdoor seating, there’s a comfy living room inside. Make sure to enjoy at least one sunset here—the light playing over the grapevines and the surrounding hills is really magnificent. And you won’t go hungry—the gourmet breakfast that’s included is truly top-notch. Karen outdoes herself, providing at least 5 options on the breakfast menu for guests to choose from. One morning, we had a mushroom and cheese frittata and yogurt partfait, the next we had sausage biscuits and gravy (Karen’s own phenomenal recipe) and oatmeal with fruit and nuts. There are options for every kind of palate. The rooms are well-appointed and comfortable, the entire place has really high ceilings so everything is very roomy. We stayed in both Rapture and Master, and although the size of each room is dramatically different (Master is huge), both were very comfortable. Beds are firm without being too hard, and bedding is lovely—all cotton sheets with a cotton quilt, plus a fluffy comforter if you need for cooler nights. No down that I could detect (I’m allergic). Karen is a wealth of information about the area, and will consult on restaurants and other resources. At her recommendation, we booked a personal tour with Jeff Petersen of Oregon Select Wine Tours, which was excellent. We hated to leave the Black Walnut Inn, and we can’t wait to return.

Room Tip: If you’re a late sleeper, consider choosing a room located far from the kitchen. Breakfast preparat...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Karen U, Owner at Black Walnut Inn & Vineyard, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Oh, Biscuits and Gravy, it is that seasonal time of year again when it really hits the spot! We are pleased it hit the spot. Thanks for staying with us and we are hopeful we will see you again when you come to visit.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

If you are looking for a small, personable and friendly inn in the heart of Willamette Valley, than the Black Walnut Inn is your destination. The inn is located a few miles off the main highway in Dundee in a secluded and beautiful countryside. This certainly adds to the charm of the inn.
Upon arrival we were greeted immediately by an extremely helpful and upbeat young man (I believe his name was Josh). He helped bring our luggage to our room while Karen gave us an overview of the inn. After we were settled, we ventured down to the tasting room since the inn has it's own vineyard. Great tasting and conversation with Neal. He has a fascinating story about he got involved in the vineyard and the inn- so please ask him. He was also gracious enough to invite my wife and I to take a stroll down the vineyard and taste a grape or two. I am certain that would never happen in Napa.
Breakfast was great but there is no wine and cheese reception in the afternoon as we have experienced with other inns. Prior to our stay at BWI, we stayed at Arch Cape where they did offer a social hour-great way to meet other guests. However, I should mention that my wife and I returned early one afternoon and Karen was extremely gracious by serving us a cheese platter and a glass of wine-classy touch.
We would definitely return to the inn but we would choose another room. We stayed in the Old World and the room was extremely small with a very limited view on the balcony. Also there was no closet in the room, just a pole protruding from the wall to hang clothes.

Room Tip: As mentioned above, I would not choose the Old World.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

We are so pleased that you enjoyed the wine and vineyard time here at the Black Walnut Inn. As a side note, we are located on exclusive farm use property and actually are not even supposed to provide cookies let alone cheese and crackers since we are an inn over two rooms...interesting land use laws and we continue to work in a thoughtful manner to move lawmakers forward for the good of tourism...we are glad you enjoyed the afternoon snacks at Arch Cape Inn...they have totally different zoning...and we are glad you enjoyed the afternoon sneaked snack too...we just are careful not too bend too many rules.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

I visited the Northwest for the first time this summer and had heard great things about the Willamette Valley. I found the Black Walnut Inn as a result of waiting to book at the last minute and not having many other options available. When I arrived in OR a couple weeks later I couldn't have been happier to stumble along this beautiful and quiet Inn. The rooms were clean, spacious and bright. I wanted to buy the bedding before we left! Everyone was extremely friendly and accommodating. And the breakfast included in our stay was DELICIOUS. I loved the feel of a small inn and how friendly and close the owners made you feel. Wine glasses, coffee and tea, fresh fruit and brownies were available in the main house and we took every advantage. They also provided brochures and info to area attractions. Coming from the day-to-day busy rush of Manhattan, this was the perfect escape. Go to relax, drink wine and take in some amazing views.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

We are so glad we could be your holiday respite from what is probably a very busy life in the city. We are hopeful you left rested and refreshed from the beautiful Oregon countryside.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

My husband and I had never been to Oregon before. We spent two days in the wine country before heading to Bend. We have traveled extensively and this is one of the best places we have ever stayed. The views are fabulous and so are the rooms. The breakfasts are out of this world. The people that own this have great friendly personalities . We can hardly wait to take some of our to visit this fabulous inn and winery.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks for your kind words about our inn and vineyard! We hope to see you soon with your friends in tow...can't wait!

Reviewed August 20, 2013

My wife and I dropped our daughter off at college, and stayed the night before returning to Seattle. An amazing evening and morn. Grounds and particularly the views are beautiful. Watched the sunset over the Coast Range to the west and the Easter sunrise from behind Mt Hood from our tower room. Loved the bed, room and especially the view. The breakfast was very good (this from a person who routinely skips them). Quiet, restful place with thoughtful, unobtrusive hosts.
We drank the offered wine in our room and bought 3 more bottles for special occasions. enjoyed them all.
Thanks, and we will be back!

Room Tip: We loved the tower room, and look forward to trying others. Each seems to be unique.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

We always wish to thank our guests when they let us know they had a wonderful stay. It is always fun for us to be the "home away from home" for parents of the college students who go to school nearby.
Thanks for staying and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

My wife and I visited the Inn as part of an anniversary trip on the advice of friends. What a place! We booked late and got one of the smaller rooms but it had its own garden, where we could sit and have coffee the mornings we were there. The staff was incredibly helpful on suggesting vineyards, restaurants and other places to visit. The breakfasts were great. When we return in the future we will definitely get one of the rooms with a view.

1  Thank Edward B
Karen U, Owner at Black Walnut Inn & Vineyard, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

The garden in Verbena has really grown with the long warm summer and looks so inviting so we are pleased you were able to enjoy it. Thank you for your kind words about our inn and we are pleased our suggestions for your holiday activities were a success. We try to stay up to date on the latest going on in the area so we can get you to those "hidden gems" that you might miss if you did't have a helping hand.

Hope to see you in the future,
Karen and Neal

Reviewed July 29, 2013

My husband and I are very fond of Napa/Sonoma wine country and have traveled there often. For my birthday this year (July), we decided to try somewher new. We could not have chosen a better place to call home for that weekend. This was our first venture in staying at a B&B and I think I may be hooked. The Black Walnut Inn is absolutely breathtaking from the moment you drive up the hill and spot the inn. Our room was on the first floor. I chose the Vista room (I liked the idea of wood floors as oppose to carpet) and our views were amazing. The room was well decorated, roomy but cozy. This particular room was wheelchair accessible so the bathroom is larger than I would imagine the other rooms might be. We loved the fact that you could just open the french doors and step out. The owner's did an amazing job in not forgetting any of the details (including the lovely scented bathroom spray). The breakfasts were fabulous. The innkeeper was so helpful & friendly. I believe her name is Allison (I hope I got that right). The location is remote enough although close enough to so many of the fabulous wineries. We stopped by the Allison Inn & Spa and while it looked lovely, it was certainly very, very crowded and the ambiance did not lend itself to a Tuscan getaway. I highly recommend the Black Walnut Inn - you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: The Fiesta room was absolutely lovely and the views are amazing (see above comment)
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

We are so pleased that your birthday was celebrated in style here at the Black Walnut Inn and Vineyard. As a wine country traveler, you know that location and less crowds really make for a special holiday and your review reflects that our location works for that.

Thanks for mentioning the bath amenities. We are having fun providing the Lather products which are manufactured in California and are in green packaging! That point makes us very happy and the carbon footprint to get the product is so much better than something farther away.

We hope you are able to return to our inn again as we also really enjoyed meeting you.

Karen and Neal

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dundee
McMenamins Hotel Oregon
3rd Street Flats
3rd Street Flats
#1 of 2 in McMinnville
Franziska Haus Bed and Breakfast

Been to Black Walnut Inn & Vineyard? Share your experiences!