“I've Had Better”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We had lunch here this past weekend. My husband was surprised that there was a white linen restaurant in what looks like a strip mall but it is Dundee and most of the restaurants are this nice. When we walked in there were perhaps four or five other occupied tables. The server was very friendly. That being said, it took an inordinate amount of time to get our food. My husband had the breakfast sandwich and thought it was fantastic. I had the duck burger with duck frites. The potatoes were average (the best duck frites in the area are at the Brasserie in Portland) and the burger was small and served on brioche. That's my bad, I need to remember I don't like brioche. It was served with a swipe of tomato jam not enough, it was very dry. Could have used some aioli or herbed mayonnaise.

I wouldn't bother again but looking at the other reviews, it appears I am in the minority.

1  Thank mmoc65

Reviewed March 25, 2013

We each chose the 7 course menu along with a few wine pairings and were delighted with the service, selections and menu. Aside from the first course, each of our courses were different, allowing us to make it through most of the menu.Please note that in addition to the 7 courses, your meal will also come with an amuse bouche. We were certainly stuffed! The star of the night was our second courses of the fois gras and the buffalo tartare. Presentation was definately a highlight and food was perfectly to temp on each course. Although not my personal favorite due to the combo of overt sweet and pungent earthiness, the chocolate pot de creme with beet dessert was both playful and stretched my culinary boundaries. Both the sous chef and the exec chef made an appearance tableside throughout the evening which was a nice touch and our sommelier brought some great options and allowed us to photograph a few labels of the items we liked.
The ambiance is very clean and cozy. Although not busy the night we attended, we felt that each table had plenty of room and was a nice distance from other diners. Highly reccomend making this your sinner stop instead of Jory.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

The food and portions were divine. Excellent wine selection. The setting and ambiance was lovely. The menu was varied, as was the wine selection. Can't say enough about the staff. They were friendly, efficient. knowledgeable and very helpful in offering advice.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

This was a completely perfect restaurant/wine/service/atmosphere experience. First, the decor is beautiful and modern, yet warm and inviting. My boyfriend made a reservation. We were greeted by Scott, the sommelier. Wine was held for us when my boyfriend called to make the reservation. That's so nice. Don't believe anything on these reviews about small portions. The portions are more than adequate, and the food is exceptional - fresh and flavorful. We both had the short rib/scallops and both agreed the short rib was the best we've ever had. We also enjoyed the risotto immensely. It was prepared with a clam stock and some clams. The boyfriend doesn't like clams, and the chefs were gracious enough to prepare his without the clam stock or the clams. That was the best risotto I've ever had. The service by Jordan and Miles was professional and friendly. What more could you ask for? We are so glad Paulee is here, and will definitely be back. And we don't have to travel all the way to Napa to have this most wonderful perfect experience.

1  Thank RobinSherwood
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Paulee was interesting. And, it was disappointing. Let's start on a positive note by saying the food was good. More on that later. It's important to say that we were hungry when we walked in the door.

After reading a major newspaper's glowing review (and then reading that the founding chef left), we decided to give Paulee a try since we were in the area wine tasting.

We were quickly seated next to the fireplace in the "back" dining area, that has a view of the kitchen. Nice on two counts.

Since we had been wine tasting in the area, we brought in our own bottle. That was probably a bad idea, since it was quite clear they preferred us to purchase a bottle from their wine selection. They have an extensive, impressive, and nice cellar that divides the two dining rooms. Quite overpriced, as well. Their corkage fee is $20, which seems to be the new (expensive) rate that many restaurants are charging these days. I'm not cheap, but $20 to pull a cork out of a bottle? I feel $10 is reasonable. Sure, I know, when you bring in your own bottle, they don't get the almost 50 percent mark-up on a bottle.

Our server was quite well informed, friendly, and all those nice things. But, some VERY ANNOYING friend of his was seated near us. Much of his, and other employees' time was spent fawning over this VERY ANNOYING guy (from what I could determine, some sort of pompous egotistical actor). And, that's almost a funny story about the argument this VERY ANNOYING guy that the servers helped instead of us. I'll spare the story, but it had to do with the color of roe (as in fish eggs). I even stepped into the discussion to stand up for Paulee, since I know a thing or two about those things.

On to the food: we ordered three appetizers to share (Hamachi $12.00, Venison $15.00, Elk 12.00). They were all quite good, but I'd be generous to say that each one consisted of 1 ounce portions. Really, 5 micro thin pieces of fish for $12.00? Of the three, the Venison was probably the best deal. We eat at many upper scale restaurants in major cities, and have never seen such a poor value. Sure, we're not looking for the Denny's Grand Slam heart attack dinner, but come on Paulee. That's just being cheap.

We ordered a kale salad to share. It was their take on caesar salad, with chunks of anchovy. Quite good, and quite small. It had four or five small rolled up pieces of Kale. At the low end of the price range, it was $8.

Again, we decided to share an "entree". I put that in quotes, since it's the size of what an appetizer *should be*. As with the appetizers, the Buffalo was good...and microscopic. $32.00.

Since we were still hungry, we ordered the cheese plate. It was not as small as we had been trained to expect, and the cheeses were good. We selected the blue option.

A highlight of the dinner was dessert. We were able to order a sampler of their house-made ice-cream/sorbet. The dish consisted of three small scoops of their current offering...the two that I preferred were the bacon (yeah, I know, bacon is everywhere these days), and smoked sea salt.

The speed of the service over the evening was reasonable. The restaurant was quite empty on the Friday night after Valentines day, which was odd, but nice. The kitchen seemed to be a tad slow. We were in the mood for a slow evening, so that worked.

Besides the excessive behind-kissing of the patron next to us, our sever was quite good. According to the receipt, his name was Miles, but I think that might not be correct.

In summary, Paulee is hugely overpriced: they need to either provide larger portions, lower the price, or both. Also, even though a customer might not be some sort of self-styled celebrity, EVERY CUSTOMER needs have the same level of service.

There are many other options in the area that have better food and appropriate pricing/quantity. I recommend skipping Paulee for now.

Another reviewer successfully predicted that the founding chef would be ousted. One other prediction he/she had was the restaurant would be closed in a year. I wouldn't be surprised if they continue on their current ways.

Rating: C-